• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hardwire Access to Radio-2017 Wethead RT

snotty54

Dear All:

I've searched using different keywords for the query below and found nothing so if this has been discussed on the forum already my apologies. I discovered back in early 2015 on this forum how to hardwire media access to my radio on my 2012 r1200RT by buying the appropriate connector to the rear speaker option socket, plugging in, and wiring the optional plug to a female 3.5mm stereo plug that I could plug into my helmet system to get direct connection, as the Bluetooth is problematic. I then used the Fadar control to go to rear speakers 100% which shut off the main speakers. It works like a charm.

Now I'm considering buying a new 2017 r1200RT and I'm trying to find out if the rear speaker option socket is on that machine. I understand it is a completely different radio/stereo unit (Alpine). I've seen one post online on another forum that suggests using a ground loop switch with those small puncture style connectors on the main socket wires underneath the seat (where the stereo is on the wet-heads) but no mention of a rear speaker option one can connect to.

Does anyone know if the wet-heads have the rear speaker option? If not, has anyone else devised a good way to hard wire to the stereo without mucking the system up too much?

Any help appreciated,

Scott

wethead stereo hard wire

Hi Dig:

I saw one other post on the BMW Luxury forum saying the same thing. I reallize you need the ground loop protection but $90 is pricey.

Thanks for link. Have you, or anyone you know purchased the Motochello and have an opinion on how well it works?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott - I've had the MotoChello bridge piece waiting to be installed for a couple of months. I'll work on it tomorrow morning, take some photos as I do it, and then try it out. I'm going to use Posi-Tap connectors (See: https://www.posi-products.com) but won't be cutting the original speaker wires.

More to follow...

John

Motochello works perfectly and is super easy to install. There is a used on on the k1600 forum for sale for $50 shipped and lots of YouTube videos on how to install as well as a clear PDF diagram on the rocketmoto website

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I might be a little dull today, but what is the advantage of using this bridge? I have a Cardo unit connected by Bluetooth and it seems to work well.

Motochello for RT

Motochello works perfectly and is super easy to install. There is a used on on the k1600 forum for sale for $50 shipped and lots of YouTube videos on how to install as well as a clear PDF diagram on the rocketmoto website

Hey Bmarc:

I couldn't find the used Motochello for sale. Can you post me a link to the page?

thanks,

Scott

Motochello

Hi Bmarc:

Well, thanks for letting me know. I'm considering a new rt but don't like this year's colours so much. Red would be good, especially that red they had last year in UK. Hard to figure what they're thinking when it comes to colours.

Scott

That red was really nice for sure. Seems the US tend to get more muted colors from BMW.

Back