• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hannigan Fairing

rogermansfield

beemerfield
Maybe this belongs in "gear" thread, but I just got my new Hannigan and wondered if anyone had any advice, warnings, etc. before I start to install it. The instructions and service from Jerry has been excellent and I know he'll answer any questions I might come up with. Just thought I'd throw this out ans see what might come back.

Also I pulled the wire out of the light on my voltmeter when removing the old RT fairing. I assume you just buy a new bulb socket and solder it at the wire?

My wire came off of in the same area and I didn't buy a new socket, I just soldered a 4 inch wire onto the socket and used a squeeze type connector to hook it back into the harness.

Jerry is great. What are you mounting it on? The main obstacles will be wiring and headlight alignment. Nothing too difficult; just take your time.

If you use a GPS the dash of the Hannigan is a great place to mount it. If you go that route, be sure to get everything set before you mount the windshield.

Are you using a spoiler? The older style flexes as the bolts are tightened. It is good to tighten them evenly in several steps. The newer style shouldn't have that issue.

Best of luck. Hope you enjoy it as I have enjoyed mine.

Just take your time, follow the directions and you should be all set.
Are you painting or going with the factory black?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm using it on a 1980 R100RT. I couldn't see painting a matching smoke red, so factory black is great. I may just paint the rest ogf the bike black someday. I'll maybe try soldering that little bulb back in. It pulled out at the back of the brass"canister", so may be a trick. I have a spoiler, it must be the "new" style, kind of like a "Laminar Lip" that wraps around the windshield.

I'm ready to get started. Now if work/school would stop and temps warm up enough to use an unheated garage, I can start. Thanks again- this is a great club/website!

Your bike is the same year and model as mine. Mine is now black but was red when new. I dont now if it was smoke red or had some other paint scheme. It had been painted black befor I got it.

OK- I sent a note to Jerry at Hannigan, Maybe you RT guys have something to say though? The instructions say to "move the headlight shell back as far as possible". With the RT, I'm replacing the fairing mounted headlight shell with the new fairing. The shell never did mount in "ears" because it was in the RT fairing.

Now really concerned about pulling all of those wires out of the headlight shell and re-attaching them correctly. Is that what you RT fairing converters did?

Hanngan

The easiest way to deal with your headlight would be to install a set of headlight "ears" from a '74-'84. There's not a lot of parts and you can usually find them used.

Mine had already been converted for a different fairing, so I had ears. The headlight shell will only hold the wiring. Hopefully you can find some quickly.

As you are finding ears, think through the mounting location for your ignition. Yours may be set up to mount in the fairing, but mine was not. I mounted mine in the side of the headlight shell, stock location for a naked bike. Works well and keeps the keys out of sight. I mentioned it because you may need some different parts depending on where you choose to mount the ignition. You may also need make some minor wiring changes. Same idea, if there are other switches and gauges you will be mounting in the fairing.

If I see ears online I will send you a PM.

I haven't heard from Jerry yet. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to pull the front wheel and move forks and install the "stalks". I think I have one from my old /5. Will search for another. Ignition and gauges should just mount in the Hannigan as they were mounted in the old, cracked, dashboard. Wish it was a little warmer and I could go work in the garage for a while.

The good thing is the snowblower is working!

Anyone interested in Hannigans and installing on an RT like mine should know they suggest a tupperware box in replacement of the headlight shell. A reduction in weight, waterproof location for wiring and can be painted and simply wired in place. Genius!

OK- so the installation hit a stopping point and I need more information. Anyone know where the green/yellow wire with the square tab type connector goes? It is the only "unaccounted for" connection in my re-install. It seems to be coming from a wiring harness that services the left side handlebar switches. I don't see this wire on either a repair manual or Haynes diagram.

Maybe it's just a "leftover"?

Sorry- I'm worthless with this wiring stuff. Just lucky there aren't more loose ones.

The Hannigan looks excellent in the "test-fit".

Last edited:
Any luck on your wire? I haven't had time to dig out my wiring diagrams.

Back