• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Riders Update/Redmond:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Well, all you guys/gals of "Offroad Adventure" and those wishing too learn it, Redmond sure has some treats, not seen before at a National Rally:):):). Some of this has been around before, but its bigger and better in Redmond, as we grow with experience doing this. Part 1; Offroading a GS, seminars will be held by Ramey "Coach" Stroud and his longtime journey through the world on a bike and dirt riding will "shine" through to all of us, yearning to know more. Coach has been very excited, talking with me countless times about what he can do and is so willing a partner, with some hands on in the dirt trainings for some very lucky GS'ers. This man seems to live and breathe dirt and "Adventure". He is also promoting the 2 days before the rally, GS Rides for the BMWMOA Foundation, as a fundraiser, so keep watch for this.
Part 2; Jim Hyde of Rawhyde Adventures is promoting his Adventure School in Redmond for a group of 15+ riders and this is a fairly limited affair, at a cost to the riders to participate. This is his business and quite successful, I might add to his credit:). If Jim can manage his time, some seminar activity from his end will be present as well. If you're lucky enough to get into his school at Redmond, you come away with some rewarding talents, I'm sure. You can ask more of him at his website and find this at any search engine you choose. Its an easy find! JIM wishes you to come watch his activities, even if you're not in the group. He welcomes all spectators and it promises to be a hoot indeed:)....
Part 3; Dave Zuber(my GS Co chair person), an Oregonian with some great geographical knowledge of the Beaver State, has been one busy beaver as well with mappings of daily GS offroad routes to be had. From what I've seen in pictures, Oregon dirt byways have played second fiddle to nobody in N.America. The sights are awesome and a great camera should be at hand. Dave has mapped a route for each day of the rally and maybe more by rally time. He's an accomplished offroader and has much to offer. You find him, pick his byway brains:). Take water and trail mix:)......
Part 4; Well, this is my end and an adventure of sorts, but very closeby, inside the rally grounds to boot! A "GS Trials Competition", which some of you may have seen in previous rallies like Tennessee and Wyoming. Its here again:). I'm setting a course with everyones(above) help, to get those wanting to have some dirt fun, competeing against one another, just for the fun times of it all:). Nothing to get all worried about(the course). You ride into this rally, I want you to ride out and home safe! We've had some fun at this and its a repeat in Redmond. SO, learn what you wish from the Pros above and come here to the competiton to shine, before your friends. Spectators will be watching:)
We've all been busy preparing what I expect to be a GS Rally and Events pointed right at you folks riding GS's. Of course all BMWs are going to really be right alongside us and Oregon has so much to see and do, both street and dirt, nobody's going home without smiles. Whether you come from Maine,Florida far away Canada, Alaska, Mexico are wherever, please come knowing something special awaits in Oregon come JULY:). I'm looking forward to meeting many new and old friends, so Please find me riding my '07 GSA1200(red/white). Happy Trails all, Randy "Polarbear" Owens of Clovis,CA.....GS ChairPerson/Redmond:usa

+1 on Coach Ramey. I've taken a couple of his classes and he's a terrific instructor with lots of practical wisdom.

Thanks Tim;

Thx for the Coach heads up vote:). He and I have only been a recent aquaintance, over the phone and emails. I look forward to shaking his hand and working with him:). I'm certain he's a very valuable assett to our Redmond Rally and easy to like...Randy:usa

Yep, sure is:)

Hi Ian, nice to hear you here, Randy. Yeah, both these guys carry a good rep and are respected in there circles. I may also need to start a list/sign up of riders soon, to get a feel just how many want to ride/compete in the Trials. We'll see. Hope you can make the trip West. Randy:usa

YA'LL gett'in Excited? BETTER BE:)

I AM:)....A lots been going on here, with GS Activities planing and all. Its an excitable thing go'in on for sure. I hope many many of you, novice and experienced offroaders come along for the adventures to be had. On rally site and offsite GS riding is available, with printed maps, guides and the like are present in Redmond. You just have to partake:)...
A note to the novice GS guys/gals! You don't know it, but I'm gonna tel ya:). I have your best dirt interests at heart and do not want you to worry about getting dirty(it washes off) and I don't want to see you break your bike or yourself either! Come along, find some new experiences in life on your GS and we'll do our darndest to keep you happy. Learn the real GS experience of adventure. Remember dirt washes off and I'm gonna catch you when/if you fall:). At the very least, you'll learn a lot:).
A LIST? Ya'll want a list of riders? Find me here, post your interests, what your ridng, where you're from and I'll keep track of your names:). The Trials Competition is probably a good idea for this list! If you don't want this, just show up/sign up and I'll find room for you to ride:). As for the Coach's seminars and Rawhyde Adventures trainings, Jim Hyde has "15+ riders only" in his school at Redmond and Coach has an unknown limit to his. As many as show, I suspect:)...A LOT.
Happy Trails, guys/gals riding GSs. I'm really excited to see all of ya in Redmond. "Polarbear"

Don"t forget this:)

There is a BMWMOA Foundation GS Ride, the two days prior to this Redmond Rally. Its a donation affair, run by Coach Ramey Stroud and promises to be one of your best ever rides into the wilderness. Oregon! You can ride one or two days, so enjoy. All proceeds are for the Foundation. Coach has his own website, Ridecoach.com I think, and if this is not right, search ANY engine for this guy. Its easy:). Happy Trails, "Polarbear":usa

What would be wicked pissah would be to have a vendor on site that would sell me a set of TKC's when I arrive, mount them up and then remount my Tourances (assuming I don't need new ones) for the ride home. I'd ship the TKC's.

That's assuming I bring the Adventure vs the RTP.

I've heard this;

That the TKCs do pretty well on the highway if you run maximum air pressure in them. I've also heard they wear away very quickly, so? I tend to believe they will go far if you run the air high around 40 lbs...for highway miles. And, its only money, so you bet you can have it your way for the right amount of funds:). I'm runn'in my Battle Wings/BS Tires, dual sports. No knobs here, although I'm like you Rob, the knobs have an advantage. Randy:usa

Back