• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Mount for 2011 R1200RT

Migsel

Put the Migsel on my '09 RT. By far the simplest and best looking. Quick delivery. Not the cheapest though.

GPS mounting for 2011 RT

Hi all...early last year after getting my '10 RT, I managed to get an early release Touratech bracket, round tubing style. It fits to the top bolts but two holes are needed in the front instrument housing for the angled support legs...a bit of work, but it goes on nicely and looks good, albeit more complicated than most.

I use the Touratech locking cradles so they mount with the tube clamps - putting the GPS at the bottom edge of eye level and just above the top deck. The cradle is easy to angle as needed for best visiblity.

However, given its construction it does tend to jiggle or vibrate a bit, which can be annoying on rough roads in trying to read the screen. The up-side is that other things can be fitted to the side mounts, etc...without overloading the mount, or causing even more jiggle from the bracket.

I have been looking at the simpler and more surface mount Wunderlich component, so might try that, now that its available.

An alternative, that I happen to have on hand is the new generation Techmount centre bracket for the RT which has an AMPS pattern on the round top plate for direct mounting. The zumo 665 bolted right on, as should the 550. If you want more height, extension are available, although replacing the supplied spacers with longer items and longer bolts would do the trick nicely.

This puts it (seemingly) just slightly higher than the BMW mount and the angle is pretty good for most viewing situation. I can see it over the standard BMW RT tankbag as well, so no issues there.

If not, then RAM pieces to the rescue. I have two RAM-B-367U (also RAM-B-367) ball mounts on the outer two forward handlebar bolts, along with extra 10mm stainless steel spacers that raise the mounting balls well clear of the bar arms as I found the balls were very close to the angled arms of the handlebars and thus restricted movement of the arm to a degree.

The longest of the supplied bolts, 60mm, should work, although I use stainless steel bolts. In absence of anything else, the RAM mounts always do the job for mounting navigation, radios, players, etc...

Cheers, Bruce

BMW GPS Mount

I too have a new R1200RT. After looking around, I bought the BMW GPS mount from A&S. It fits on the dash, very easy to install using the existing screws, and keeps my GPS out of the rain and sun. The mount is very solid. I installed a new Nuvi 3790 widescreen on the BMW mount with some slight modifications to the mount (the Zumo should attached without modifiations) and then I epoxied the cradle to the BMW GPS mount just for good measure. I also ordered the BMW wiring harness from A&S, which was also easy to install. Bought the RAM cradle for the Nuvi. I soldered the wires from the Nuvi to the BMW wiring harness and covered with shrink tube. GPS powers from the bike, shuts off automatically after about 30 seconds when I shut off the bike. For $40 Best Buy gave me a two year replacement warranty -- you scratch the screen, it shorts in the rain, vibration kills it, etc. -- ANY Best Buy will give you a new unit and the Zumo unit is hundreds less than a Zumo. It was easier to convince myself to spend $250 on a Nuvi and buy the extended "no questions asked" warranty from Best Buy. The new Nuvi is very large and easy to read and the sound is plenty loud to hear the turn by turn directions even with a helmet on. I have both the stock windscreen and a slightly larger VStream windscreen, and the GPS easily clears both screens.

Migsel

I have an 08 RT with the Migsel which works very well and is easy to intall. The 2010 and up look different but appear to mount as easily. Whatever mounting method you choose, I highly recommend something above the instruments as it is much easier to take a quick glance without taking your eyes off the road for too long.

c8e264be.jpg

Anyone know if this setup will work with a FACTORY BMW Tankbag? :dunno

Try the Wunderlich site. It is the best one I found for the 1200 RT. Two bolts and it is installed. Simple. I have attached a photo from their site:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8600887-888.html

I have this mount , a truly great piece of hardware, HOWEVER, it isn't 2 bolts by a long shot , its quite a pita to install (must remove cluster and install a support bracket inside first and the supplied bolts are plenty short :dunno). If you skip the support bracket I guess you could just install it with 2 bolts but would lose the stability they intended. Once installed , I am very very pleased with its function and looks.

Back