• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good place to shop for YSS , Ohilns Shocks?

G

grumpyone

:laugh Any tips on good places to shop for a rear shock for our R 80 1986? I think I would like to get an Ohilns or YSS but that is just a first thought and might change on price and avaliability , or suggestions .
Are the gas filled versions better for a mostly 98% two up bike? She wont stay home :boldpurpl Its a good thing.
Thanks for all the help
Jim and Esther

How often shoud you change the air in your tires??? :stick :doh
Seems thats the only thing we havent changed yet

I would also consider wilbers. I bought mine from the beemer shop. There are several factory trained dealers in the US now.

I would also consider wilbers. I bought mine from the beemer shop. There are several factory trained dealers in the US now.
And? Are they worth the 5 or 600 bucks? I'd be interested in your impressions.

And? Are they worth the 5 or 600 bucks? I'd be interested in your impressions.

So far I think so. There is also a economy model that is not as adjustable for less. I have the adjustable one. Mine is on an r80st. I don't have many miles on it yet and it is the first custom built shock I've owned. In two weeks I'm leaving for a circle through Labrador and the maritimes including the trans labrador highway. When I'm back I'll have a better idea.

I got a YSS shock for my K75S from Tom Cutter and am very pleased with it. Threaded preload adjustment and a 60-click rebound adjustment. Looks to be of very high build quality and after giving Tom the particulars about bike, rider, riding style, and loading it came set up right on the money.

I use a YSS shock on my K...I even tried it with a Wilbers spring once....I got mine from EPM and Klaus...

Another thing worth noting is that all rebuildable after market shocks like Wilbers, YSS, Ohlins, HyperPro...etc. do have to get rebuilt around 30-50k miles...depending on your riding.

So when you compute cost...don't just compare acquisition cost...factor in your rebuild cost, etc. into the life of the shock.

An aftermarket shock that's sized properly and set up accordingly will make you forget the sticker on the shock!

R80 shock is the same as a K75s/c/ I believe in terms on mount points...I swapped one out once on my S...in UB with an R80GS owner....
The K75 RT is a taller shock(i.e. has more travel) compared to the s/c...

HTH

I installed a new BMW OEM shock on a K75 a couple of weeks ago and I'm not at all happy with it. The ride is harsh on all three pre-load settings.

I received this quote from Klaus last night:

Hi Tom,

thank you for your interest in our products.
For the K 75 we offer the YSS products.

The model MZ 366-360 TRL @ $ 389.00

The shock is specially built and valved for the K75, to provide a
comfortable ride.

The shock has adjustable rebound damping with 50 clicks, threaded pre-load
with the enclosed C-spanner and length adjustment of + 10 mm.

The warranty is 2 years and the item is on stock.

The item in the picture does not have the length adjustment.

Please call us with your order and/or questions at 732-786-9777

Regards
Klaus Huenecke

57478673fullip6.jpg

Tom, since I live roughly 50 miles from his shop, Klaus personally installed that very same YSS shock on my K75 about 3 months ago. (big hat tip to Motoedde, who was very helpful with his referral to EPM).

The difference was immediately discernible. In the roughly 1400 miles I've done since installation: 1 up, 1 up w/luggage and 2 up, it's one of the best upgrades I've ever done to my great little bike. One day, when and if I get a new bike, I'll sport an Ohlins or Wilbers, but for my 16 year old K75, the YSS is perfect.

Tom, since I live roughly 50 miles from his shop, Klaus personally installed that very same YSS shock on my K75 about 3 months ago. (big hat tip to Motoedde, who was very helpful with his referral to EPM).

Thanks for the comment, Jonathan. I've talked with Klaus before about a Wilbers for my Vstrom, when he was wilbersusa. I've never heard anyone with negative comments about the guy. I plan to order that shock today.

Edit: Shock ordered.

Last edited:
YSS, Ohilns or Wilbers

One more thing we have about decided on YSS can anyone tell us is there a major advantage with the others like Ohilns or Wilbers on this.
Thanks
Jim and Esther

One more thing we have about decided on YSS can anyone tell us is there a major advantage with the others like Ohilns or Wilbers on this.
Thanks
Jim and Esther

The story is that YSS shocks are designed by one of - or THE - original designer of the Wilbers shocks who now works for YSS. They are located in Thailand with modern production technology but cheap labor. I've head that YSS is very, very popular in Australia and New Zealand, and has been a very popular shock among Moto Guzzi riders in the US for several years. I know the YSS I got from Tom Cutter was between $350 and $380 and had all the same features (threaded pre-load and rebound adjustment) as the $550/600 Wilbers.

The biggest thing I think is hurting YSS right now is the lack of a fitment website. You go to one of the YSS factory sites and you can see a whole range of nice looking shocks, but you have no way of knowing which are recommended for your bike. At the moment, that's where people like Klaus at Wilbersusa and Tom Cutter come in. They know what fits what in the BMW line and will help get your shock set up correctly for you out of the box.

Will get one on as soon as possible. Got an email out to find out the total and mod. needed .

Thanks for all the help.
Jim and Esther

I'm taking my K75S (with the YSS shock) to Gillette, which for me is about 900 miles one-way, half through great mountains. This will be a great chance to really put that shock through it's paces. I'll post a ride report here when I get back, and it would be good to get other's opinions as well.

Back