• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Go from 1150RT to a 650GS?

C

CO_G30

My twisted brain has been following this path lately and I ask for opinions re this line of thought.

Trade in my 2004 R1150RT which does long distances most comfortably and ably but probably due to my skills kinda sucks when one wants to explore the dirt roads one encounters in the mountains for a F650GS. Yeah, you can pick up the RT (done it many times unfortunately) but it still sucks, not to mention all the scratches on the tupperware.

Anyone got real experience with long distance riding, am talking 12 hr days, 500+ miles on a F650GS? Doable or don't even think about it without third party seat and big windshield? I am looking at 2004 and later versions.

tia

dom

Doable? Absolutely.

Recommended? Depends on your personal tolerance for a host of differences between the two bikes.

The RT was designed for the long haul, the GS is a general purpose "naked" bike that straddles the gap between paved and unpaved riding really well. IF you make the switch you're going feel down on power and be fighting the wind all day on the highway (without a big screen, add a screen and you'll slow down even more).

I have done many long days in the saddle on an assortment of BMWs including the K100RS, R75/7, R100GSPD, R850R and F650 GS Dakar. The 650 would be the last of that list I'd choose to take on a 500 mile day of pavement if another option was available.

i put a custom seat on my F650GS from Mr. Ed's Moto, throttle mister, ermax windscreen, jesse boxs, Givi topbox and a few other goodies, then rode from my home in NY to WY for the national, all on the slab. the bike will run 90mph all day without a problem. of course since it is so light you will get thrown around in heavy wind or when passing trucks but it is not a big deal. when i went to WY i was running the stock gearing, i have now dropped my CS sprocket 1 tooth and love it. gonna ride it that way to the national in TN next summer, although that will be 50-50 slab and back roads. check out f650.com for any and all info you want to know about the F650GS.

Heck - why not one of each?

You wouldn't walk through life with just one pair of shoes.

The F650, thumper or twin, will run all day. There was a time when 500cc was considered a big bike.

I have an '02 1150RT and a newer single cylinder F650GS. I hate riding the RT off pavement and dislike ( not hate ) riding the F650 on the interstate. I can ride all day on either of them, but they're not intended for the same job. Either have both or decide how to compromise and decide what type of riding you do most.

My 2007 F650GS was prchased new June 1, 2007, and yesterday the odometer rolled over 42,000 miles. Included in that have been two extended trips to New England, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island,The Arkansas Ozarks for 3 days of red dirt road riding. The bike is normally equipped with a parabellum touring windscreen and 41 ltr panniers, but I recently spent 43 days riding the perimeter of the nation west of the Mississippi, touching Canada and Mexico; 8800 miles and that was with a sidecar attached. My longest day ever was 628 miles and I was tired at the end of it, but I'm 74 years old and would have been tired doing that in a car. Unless you are speed obsessed this bike will serve you quite well in just about any terrain you put it in . . . except maybe deep beach sand in Texas . . . don't ask me how I know that.

Floyd

trips on F650GS

My then 14 year old son and myself did a five-week 14,000 mile trip to Alaska on an 01 F650GS with camping gear, clothes, etc. with no problems. Counting the rider (s) you can carry over 400 pounds on the bike.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to own multiple motorcycles. This spring I sold a K75 and replaced it with a Suzuki DR650. Not an F650 but I wanted simplicity. I doctored it up with a Corbin seat, Givi bags, Slip Stream windscreen and several other items. I took it for a 4 day, 1300 mile trip from eastern PA, to Morgantown, WV, over to and along the Ohio River, back into WV, the New River Gorge Bridge, Skyline Drive then back home. The bike did very well and I think the
F650 would do just as well and probably better. The Dr650 does lack comfortable 2 up riding but I have an R1100RS for that. I have owned or presently own a CL350, KE175, DR200, R65LS, R650, K75 and R1100RS and I have enjoyed them all. I think the F650GS would be a motorcycle fully capable of doing most anything you want, and can do with a motorcycle. I can't imagine that I wouldn't enjoy one of them too.

Paul

have 2

Heck - why not one of each?

You wouldn't walk through life with just one pair of shoes.

The F650, thumper or twin, will run all day. There was a time when 500cc was considered a big bike.

+1 on that
i have one of each and they fill all my needs

I just sold my F650GS earlier this year. If I could only have one bike, it would be the F650GS. I have a friend in Mexico who rides a 650 Dakar all over that country. He puts in long distances and long days. He and the bike do well. They are great bikes.

Someone mentioned getting a new F800GS or twin cylinder F650GS and having the best of both worlds. I finally got to ride a new F650GS twin this week. It has remarkably more power than my thumper F650GS, but markedly less comfortable. I couldn't see touring on it without major ergonomic tweaks starting with the seat. On the other hand I can ride my old F650 all day by adding a sheep skin to the stock seat. I think I'll keep what I have for now.

You might consider an R1150R. It isn't as comfortable on the long haul as an RT, but is quite competent on the interstate or dirt roads. It's also much lighter to pick up and no expensive tupperware to damage if it goes down. I consider it a GS for riders of average height. I can see myself buying one again some day if the right one shows up.

Compare 03 f650 with new twin f650 2009

Anyone have comparison between the two bikes? Specifically:
Weight
Aftermarket accessories available, (Iam not seeing much on the Chain Gang site yet)
Power at hiway cruising speed, the single revs high and seems to be working hard at speed, 70-80+
Gas mileage
Handling
Thanks!

Anyone have comparison between the two bikes? Specifically:
Weight
Aftermarket accessories available, (Iam not seeing much on the Chain Gang site yet)
Power at hiway cruising speed, the single revs high and seems to be working hard at speed, 70-80+
Gas mileage
Handling
Thanks!

I have a single cylinder F650GS (2006) and have ridden a new twin F650GS. As I mentioned, it sucks when it comes to comfort. (At least for me.) It's very smooth, tons of power, and doesn't strain at all at high speeds. From what I"ve read, mileage is about the same as the old F650GS. Handling is great. I think the advertised weight is wrong. I believe it's probably 40-50 pounds heavier than the thumper, but I don't have the proof. It's a good bike and I may get one some day. I just don't want a CANbus bike until I have to. My own prejudice.

Dom,

I've been watching this thread to see if you went through with it?? In the meantime I hope my old RT is treating you well.

Rich

I have an R1100RT for long trips and riding two up. It has over 100,000 miles on the clock (all mine). And I have a 2001 F650GS Dakar that I bought about a year ago.

I have done a 1000 mile day on the 650, and a 1500 mile run in 36 hours on my father-in-laws 650 Dakar with knobby tires. Not as comfortable as the RT but certainly doable.

My suggestion would be to keep the RT and just save to get a cheap dirt bike. Because if you like longer trips you quite possibly will not enjoy the 650 coming from an RT. And if it is really dirt riding you want to do, a lighter, cheaper jap make would be better than the 650, which is heavy by dirt bike standards. The 650 can do off road, it is just heavier than need be. And if you need a dirt bike to ride to the off road area and want an F650GS, they can be had cheap. Be looking also over on f650.com.

2992477879_825c02d90e.jpg

497897025_b0d4fdbc51.jpg

Back