• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GMax GM54S Helmet

owrstrich

greetings...

posted 13-12-08...

the kbc ffr has been my helmet of choice for a long time because it had the most chin room ever...

after their demise i tried just about every helmet in motoshops on the west coast from san diego ca to ferndale wa...

the 2 that fit my head and have the most chin room are the shark evoline and the gmax gm54s...

after reading reviews for a year or more and after trying these 2 units i decided to go with the gmax gm54s...

scored it at the zilla for 130 $ delivered...

54S-SO-PW.jpg

it comes with clear shield... i scored 2 backup shields... a smoke shield and a clear dual lens...

i have about 5000 miles on this helmet... temps from 20s to 100s... weather from vivid sun to torrential rain...

1) this thing vents really well... it has lotts o vents and they work... i can feel the air when i open the vents...
2) the hot days... venting works well...
3) the cold days... chin venting works to keep fog to a minimum...
4) the rainy days... chin venting works to keep fog to a minimum...
5) the cold n rainy days... shield will fog if not cracked open... the dual lens does not fog at all... zero...
6) the chin vent has a little tab when in the up position allows air to flow on the shield plus hols the shield open ever so little for additional airflow...
7) the shields are optically correct...
8) the internal sun visor is optically correct...
9) rain does find its way to the inside of the shields...
10) rain does find its way to the internal sun shield...
11) rain does not find it way to my head though...
12) the light on the back seems foo foo... butts in heavy fog it brings a little more conspicuity to the deal... i have come to like it...
13) the visor ratchets seems robust...
14) the flip-up system seems to be robust...
15) has intercom speaker pockets that are 100% spot on for me...
16) it has broken-in nicely...

this is one magnificent helmet... if you have an enormous snood and are in search of chin room... i would take a close look at the gmax gm54s... its 100% yeeeeeehaaaaaa...

j o

8000 mile update...

gotts abouts 8 thousand miles with this helmet now... still 100% positive...

the shield is easy to swap or remove for cleaning... the internal sun shield is optically good...

the chin vent in the up position slightly cracks the shield which putts a little air on the face butts have had zero fogging during normal breathing...

the wind noise is very manageable when wearing foam ear plugs... we use the interphone f4 intercom and can easily hear each other talk uo to about 90mph... excellent audio at 80mph and below...

the speaker pockets are perfect... putts the speakers in the right place and requires no velcro or tape or any hardware... the bottom trim is good and its easy to get an intercom base on there...

the liner is good... has not been washed and is still not funky... it has broken in nicely... no hot spots even on those 14 hour ride days...

the gloss pearl white paint still looks new... the air vents are easy open and easy close... can feel the air on my head... the venting is amazing...

the flip up mechanism is tight and is an easy 1 motion open and close...

very happy with this purchase... i have had many helmets over the years... this helmet is my favorite so far... im thinking abouts scoring a back up just for the he11 of it...

j o

They must have come a long way. I had a GMax once. The only thing I'd use that for is to catch the old oil. Complete garbage. I'll stick with my Shoei's, but I'm glad it's working for you. Everyone's heads are different.

Back