• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Getting an RS

georgej

I'm getting a '78 RS,metallic gold. I posted about this bike earlier and decided to get it.It's pretty much original except for Dunstall mufflers.Needs a little tlc,but at $2800 i think the price is right.

I feel bettr knowing that someone else will be riding the same color RS that I have in the stable. If you decide to do a new paint job on your bike, please paint it the stock color. That color was called candy gold.
I paid $500.00 for my 78 with only 22k on the clock. I dumped 2k into her so far but, is well worth every dollar.
I might have some spare parts just in case you decide to do a restoration. I have extra brass rivets for reinstalling a new windshield. I even have the special BMW rivet tool for your use. When I restored the bike, I went as far as to riveting the shield on instead of nylon screws.
I have an oilhead RS which is a fine machine but, there is nothing like riding an airhead. Airheads are like a fine wine. They get better with age.
The older RS BMW's were way before their time. The faring on those bikes were the best and still the best produced by the factory. The old RS still has that look of doing 100 MPH just sitting still.

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Good for U George. Just got back from a run to Texas and stopped at BMW of N. Dallas, in Plano. They have a very good condition '78 gold RS on display for sale. Go to their web site www.bmwmotorcyclesdallas.com to see pictures of it. U'll be glad of the price u paid. That bike they had was a stunner to look at. Ride and enjoy.

She's in my garage and to my surprise looks a lot better than I thought from when I first looked at it. Krausers are in nice shape also.When I got my '78 R80/7 last year it needed nothing. It was set up like an S but I always wanted the RS.The R80 was so nice and clean I just couldn't pass it up.I rode that bike for a year and answered an ad for someone looking for an airhead.When it sold so fast I thought I probably should have kept it.If I couldn't get the price I wanted I wasn't going to sell itanyway.The RS needs some cleaning and going over and new tires.Whats a good recomendation? That gold kind of grows on you. Is '78 the only year for that color?I hope to get tires on her very soon so I can do some riding before the snow comes. I'll post some pictures soon.
George

Congratulations George. I feel confident in saying that you will never regret the purchase. That various problems crop up from time to time, as they surely will, sure, but not the basic decision to acquire the bike. Enjoy it!

Barry, that Dallas RS is a beauty.

They gotta be kidding about that price though.

George, btw, for a tire recommendation I'd stick with Metzeler Lasertecs - essentially the modern equivalent of OEM. Great tires. I have them on three bikes now, and will probably migrate the rest of the fleet (except the Ducati - Ducks MUST run Pirellis!) in due course.

I here Ya keelerb; I just report what I see. Like I told George, he probably paid a reasonable price for a nice bike. I remember seeing those gold RS's 20 years ago. Liked them kinda ok back then, like em a little better now. Probably just an age thing. Kinda like fine wine, they gotta grow on ya. Barry

wow
what a price, whos autograph does it come with
If I could pull that much for a bike with just carb rebuilds etc,
Id sell it for 10.5
let me see, how many airheads could I buy for that kind of money
like ,maybe a near perfect 77 motosport and still have money left over for.....................
there was a time I sold cars and the saying was...theres an ass born for every seat and willing to pay for the throne

Id sell it for 10.5
like ,maybe a near perfect 77 motosport and still have money left over for.....................
Nah; figure on spending all that money on painting and copying all the stuff on the '78 Motorsports - since there weren't any '77s ...

there was a time I sold cars and the saying was...theres an ass born for every seat and willing to pay for the throne

Motorsports were only 1978.

Back