• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

geriatrics mounting, 2 up, R1100S

spuglisi

Good evening,
A few months ago I posted a thread inquiring as to the best mounting (dismounting) techniques for a mature, read older, couple on an R1100S. Many great suggestions, thank you. Well. Now, after about 2000 miles and dozens of mounting/dismounting procedures, I think we've got it. Mind you, I don't have video so when I say I think, I mean just that. It works, we don't fall down, nobody laughs (at least not out loud) and it feels smooth enough. So, here goes.

Rider, that's me, is straddling the bike and making love to the fuel tank. Kathy, my beautiful bride, with left foot on the riders foot peg, hoists her right leg up and gracefully (here's where a video would be conclusive) over the very, very wide touring panniers, with the right knee leading and voila! There it is. Dismounting, same in reverse. Kathy thinks she'll try using her left peg as the dismount would be easier on the leg twist but a bit longer, and more difficult, on the peg to ground final acrobatic. We tried using the side stand for additional support, bad idea. More stable with two tires and two feet.
Steve

2 up riding

Well spoken. That is just about what we're doing. Now that I think of it, Kathy calls the 11S "old horse".
Steve

Back