• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gel Battery Tender for BMW

Alrighty, what gives, I received the new BMW Accessories catalog today, and the cute little blue "official" BMW charger isn't even in it. But the black one which I pictured earlier in this thread is. Just when I was starting to think I purchased one I maybe shouldn't have. I'm starting to think maybe this one is actually safe to use!

Has any one taken the two apart to compare the insides???

Cases can look alike, the guts is what counts..?

Apparently there are two models with the gel model costing $10 more. They say the standard model works faster with regular batteries. Does that suggest lower voltage in the gel model?

Also, does Deltran have their own model for the gel charger? They haven't answered my numerous emails on the subject.

BMW Gel Battery tender

The set of instructions that comes with the blue BMW Charger, part number 72 60 7 679 040, states that it is for "LEAD ACID" batteries only.

But BMW bulletins quoted here, and other places, state other wise. ???? :confused:

The BMW Generation II Gel Battery Charger part number 99 99 0 005 656 is for the new BMW Gel Batteries that arrive as standard equipment on all 2004 models. :confused: It looks like a Deltran charger, which are made in China. It lists for approx $80.00. Chicago BMW sells it cheaper than list.

As far as I know BMW lists three different battery chargers. Sort of confusing, which one to use with a gel battery, BMW's (EXIDE) gel battery ... Now my Harley has a gel battery and I use my Deltran Battery Tender Plus to charge it and keep it charged. Harley has no such bulletin, etc. regarding the proper battery charger, which is interesting. They have a history of warning Harley owners to only use H-D oil and not synthetic oil, until this year when they branded their own Sync3 oil. But that's another worn out thread for another newgroup.

I'll stick with my Battery Tender Plus for my gel batteries and use synthetic oil (AMSOIL) in my Harley.

BTW Chicago BMW appears to be owned by the same people who own Chicago Harley-Davidson. Chicago H-D sells H-D parts at 20% off over the internet, which really pisses off many other H-D dealers. :clap

Re: BMW Gel Battery tender

Mudbug said:
The set of instructions that comes with the blue BMW Charger, part number 72 60 7 679 040, states that it is for "LEAD ACID" batteries only.

I find that comment interesting, I'm kind of waiting to see what Mr. Dean says about that. I think I know what he was getting at with the blue charger, with it being the only one approved to charge while the battery is still hooked to the bike. I assume it is because the bike's electrical system can only handle so much voltage. It kind of makes me wonder, what all is actually powered up when charging through the battery plug, since the key is off and all I know that would be energized is the clock?? Just curious, some BMW motorcycle electrical guru can answer that one. I have checked the output voltage of my Generation II charger while hooked to the bike, and the output voltage is 14.4VDC. According to Jeff, the gel battery won't take much of that.

Robert notes,

Robert is correct. But that is a typo in the instruction sheet. Stick to the April BMW NA bulletin.

If you could indulge me a WAG I would say that reading between the lines of the TSB combined with my limited knowlege of battery technology and the way a BT works, perhaps the "Automatic" circuitry in the older BTs won't fully charge the gel batteries. The fact that the Gel batts require a "jump start" followed by, I assume, a longer, lower charge, might mean a gel battery might never be fully charged with an older model BT or BMW by BT charger. This might lead to a "memory" issue where once it happens, the battery will NEVER accept a full charge, I don't know. (And I wan't to doubt it).
I think the issue with BMW vs non-BMW GEL chargers is that other chargers might not drop in amperage to a safe point (given the GEL batts requirement for a higher charge) and might damage electronics if used via the acc socket IN the bike. Maybe just CYA on BMWs part, but a valid point. Don't take your bike in for warranty work on the LX after you've charged your gel batt through the acc plug with another brand. Simple.It ain't gonna happen.
It could very possibly be BMW trying to get another $80-$100 out of your wallet, but their might be some valid science behind it. Who knows, I'm not a scientist.
I really like that blue wall mount unit. Unfortunately, there's no place in my garage to mount it where it would reach all my vehicles. Maybe on the ceiling twixt the car and the bikes? I'm just gear-addicted enough to pop for it. But then, I don't even HAVE a gel batt!
Now to the important question. I have a acc plug mount w/ bracket that I intended to mount on my R60 until I relized that in order to use it I would have to leave my BT in the alley where I lived in Denver. Do you all think it would cause some sort of harmonic imbalance in the universe causing the Deutschemark to plummet if I mounted that in my 911 so I could use the BT/BMW plug to charge it?

Again, does anyone know of a case in which a Deltran Battery Tender Plus or black BMW BT+ look-alike charger by Deltran has actually damaged a BMW motorcycle by being used to charge the battery through the accessory socket?

Joe D

I wish BMW would clear up the apparent inconsistencies. Not only does the instructions with the "blue" BMW battery charger contradict the service bulletin, their "new" catalogue seems to describe another battery charger as the one to use on the new 2004 BMW/Exide gel batteries.

The word of mouth around the shop is not much better.

I'm still confused... :dunno

One of my friends has a 2002 LT that came with a standard lead acid battery. After about 6 months, the battery would not hold a charge so the dealer replaced it (under warranty) with the new gel battery. The service manager told my friend that he needed the new "special charger" for the gel battery. So for about $115, he bought one.

I commented to the service manager that since the bike was factory fitted with a standard lead acid battery, it would stand to reason that the bike's charging system was compatible with a lead acid battery - not the gel type. So I asked him "why is it OK to put a new gel battery into a bike with a lead acid battery charging system, but not OK to use the old lead acid battery charger?" He said "I can give you 115 good reasons".

I have used one charger for charging both types of batteries for going on 15 years, with no adverse effects to either the charger or either type of battery. My experience with both suggests that the difference is subtle.

Different Voltage Regulators?

Taken from another newsgroup:

Does this mean if you have a gel battery, you should have a different alternator on your bike?

Well an 3 phase alternator is a 3 phase alternator and as far as I'm concerned, they haven't changed.

Now the question is, is the regulator any different from a lead acid battery model to a gel cell battery model.

It would be interesting to find out if regulators have changed. If they haven't, I question BMWs validity to their requirement to a $special$ charger.

Jeff Dean said:
BMW Motorrad USA Service Bulletin
Date: April 2003

Bulletin No: 61 002 03 (007)
ÔÇ£Instructions for Handling Gel BatteriesÔÇØ

The battery must be isolated because gel battery chargers perform a so-called desulfation cycle, in which the charge voltage increases to over 15.5V for a limited time.

Why would the battery have to go through a "so called desulfation cycle".

Now correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't sulfation occur when a battery is left sitting at a low state of charge for a period of time.

Well if this isn't allowed to happen, then why would it need to go through a desulfation cycle?

Re: BMW Gel Battery tender

Mudbug said:
BTW Chicago BMW appears to be owned by the same people who own Chicago Harley-Davidson. Chicago H-D sells H-D parts at 20% off over the internet, which really pisses off many other H-D dealers.

Ahhh the beauty about the USA where business has an idea of what "competition" means.

Up here, my local Kawasaki dealer tacks on an extra 30% on top of MSRP. I hope he goes under!

Jeff Dean said:
BMW Motorrad USA Service Bulletin
Date: April 2003

Bulletin No: 61 002 03 (007)
ÔÇ£Instructions for Handling Gel BatteriesÔÇØ

The battery must be isolated because gel battery chargers perform a so-called desulfation cycle, in which the charge voltage increases to over 15.5V for a limited time. If the battery is connected to the electrical system during charging this spike could lead to failure of the control units and other electrical/electronic components.

I don't have a BMW electrical system wiring diagram that I can verify, but my next question is, what spikes are going to make it to electrical/electronic components with the IGNITION OFF while the battery is being charged?

Something to think about and time to start asking questions.

Don Miller said:
I have used one charger for charging both types of batteries for going on 15 years, with no adverse effects to either the charger or either type of battery. My experience with both suggests that the difference is subtle.

I agree. It appears that BMW is selling snake oil. H-D tried the same "misinformation campaign" about synthetic oil. It went on for years.

Global Rider said:
what spikes are going to make it to electrical/electronic components with the IGNITION OFF while the battery is being charged?

My question exactly.......

Back