• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear for the fire plug

knary

looking for a coal mine
A good friend of mine has just signed up for the MSF class. I've shared a bit of what I know with him and done what I can to point him in the right direction as to what bikes to consider - after he completes the class. What he needs that I can't help him much with is good gear on a budget. He believes in having the right tools for a task, but also has a phobia against spending money unnecessarily. IOW, he's not going to be buying aerostich or rukka or BMW gear anytime soon. The other twist is that he's is very stoutly built - 5'8", 230 lbs, with an upper body that has strangers asking if he's a power lifter (he's not). He usually wears XL clothing, but can't always get his neck/head through. I've painted quite the picture, eh? :D

Any recommendations? If he was a BMW guy and wanted to spend the money, I'd point him at a Savannah suit.

Fistgear

You may want him to try the Firstgear Kilimanjaro. I know quite a few people who match your friends discription (except for the neck thing). These jackets seem to be cut fuller than a lot of jackets. Armour seems to be OK and is also upgradeable for a price. You may have to add some additional velcro in the neck area if his is much over 17.5" around.

Bought a Cortech 3/4 Touring jacket for $250 on sale in spring 2005, its been good to me so far.

Or, he can look at used too!!! Broken in=looser fit.

Tell him to stay clear of euro sizing it's just not a good fit for us stout Americans :)
Unless he can try it on, BMW stuff is risky.

I have a FirstGear Kilomanjaro Air. The "L"s are American (XL, XXL, etc), and it has right handed zippers.

Reasonably priced, with a zip out winter liner makes is a great air flow summer jacket too. 2 jackets, one price.

It has more airflow than my FirstGear Meshtex. I got caught without the liner in the mountains one summer morning and froze my arms off it had so much air flow.

But the winter liner is toasty. It's a good fit at a good price.

98887298-M.jpg

I started out with Joe Rocket, and found it to be pretty decent for the price, and a very good fit.

I was 5'8" and 320 pounds, so I can relate to needing good sizing.

Now I have used plenty of other brands, and Revit is also sized well for the big guys.

Thanksfully I lost 120 pounds.:clap

Me-bike.jpg

Jim :brow

First Gear K II

K-II is good "entry" level gear, it is good value.

But I, too, am gravitationally challenged, and for a little more money the Belstaff Mercury jacket will fit a lot better.

Fit meaning he will not look like the Pillsbury doughboy, becaue the cloth will not bunch up when he sits on the bike. I hate that.

I wish I had researched "fits" more in depth before I actually bought the gear.

Back