• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

G 650XC - Now "In Hand"

R

rmetzger

... brought it home a few hours ago, from BMW of Ventura (CA). Had a F650 GS in 06 -- replaced with a Ducati Multistrada 1000S. Now have added the G to get back into the dual sport game.

Initial impressions: much lighter than the F650 (350 lbs fueled) -- and it feels it. 2.5 gal. tank (under seat, like F) with reported ~50 mpg mileage. Notably shorter wheelbase, thus more nimble, can be flicked and "body steered". Excellent MX-like, centered body position. No fairing or windscreen in standard configuration -- but oddly little wind buffeting at highway speeds. Feels confident on busy highway though not overpowered. Smooth shifting in 5 gears. Good low end torque. Logical controls. Oddity: there is a multifunction display, very readable, but ... no tach. Comes with mounting bars for aft bag. Accessories coming available include aluminum engine guard, alum chain guard, various versions of hand guards, other aluminum pieces to replace plastic, rear and tank fitted tank bags, fairing (clear or smoked). I've ordered some of these and should be able to post a picture in a week or so. No heated h/g at present. No center stand. Little in-bike storage. Only tires authorized for this version are the Metzeler Tourance (good choice).

Riding impressions: one word: "Fun." Like riding a dart in the canyons. Ok, two words: "Very fun." More to come.:brad

Thanks for your post, interested in your modifications!

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your post and I am looking forward to more writeups and photos of the modifications you plan on performing on your bike. I really wanted to buy the G 650XC when I saw it at the Cycle World show, but then I found out from the BMW representative about the puny 2.5 gallon tank with the 125 mile range; that paltry available distance makes it useless for me on the rides that I do here in the Southwest and in Mexico!

I bought a new Kawasaki KLR 650 last year primarily due to its 6 gallon fuel tank and how far that will take me down the dirt roads that I ride. What will really catch my eye is a how-to article on doubling the fuel capacity and range of the G 650XC. If BMW were to bring out an Adventure model of this bike next year, with a 5 gallon tank, like they have done with the larger Adventure tanks on the GS models, I would buy one in a second. I love everything else about the G 650XC, except the fact that they have less riding range than a Harley Sportster!

Rob, if you were to see such an article on increasing the fuel capacity of the G 650XC would you please direct me to it? My e-mail address is beemerdons@aol.com and I would be seriously interested in this. Thank you and Sincerely yours, Don Stanley

Thank You - Statdawg: That was just the right resource I was looking for!

I sincerely appreciate that! After seeing your post I went to page 12 of the March issue of BMW Owners News and saw the ad for www.touratech-usa.com and here is what I sent off to sales@touratech-usa.com just a minute ago: "Dear TOURATECH, I am very interested to know if you will be bringing out a larger fuel tank for the new BMW G 650XC model. I really wanted to buy one of these motorcycles last fall, until I found out that they only had a range of 125 miles due to its 2.5 gallon gas tank; other than that ridiculous problem (What was BMW thinking?), I believe that this would be a perfect dual sport bike for me! At age 58 my R1100GS has gotten way too heavy for me offroad. I then went straight to my local Kawasaki dealer and bought a brand new KLR650 and that 6 gallon tank has been perfect for the long dirt rides between fuel stations that I go on in the Southwest and in Mexico. Please use either beemerdons@aol.com or dstanley@metromechanical.com when you can let me know the size, price and date of availability for the larger G 650 XC fuel tank! I have been riding BMW's continuously since March of 1969 when I bought my R60/2 while stationed in Augsburg, Germany and I have to admit it hurts my conscience to be riding Kawasaki instead of BMW! Best Regards, Don Stanley in Chandler, AZ."

Tank ... and mileage

Thanks for the informative replies. I am concerned about the tank as well. I've done some further reading, and it is possible to get as much as 60 mpg so that there is 150 mi. range with the base tank. I have a Garmin Zumo which I will mount on the G XC and that will allow me to track mpg very accurately.

I look forward to a larger tank and am familiar with Touratech from upgrades I made to the F650 GS I once had. However, I am a bit skeptical because the G tank, like that of the F, is under the seat, and what appears to be the tank is the airbox -- so a larger tank will be fairly complicated. Nevertheless, the market will "demand" one, so it will come. Also, I have heard that BMW and/or Touratech already have panniers and mounting kits in the works. Hopefully, they will not look so much like commuter bags as those BMW sells for the F 650GS.

As soon as I have the factory tail and tank bag, and the aluminum gear -- next week? -- I will post photos. These look good from the photos I saw on the dealer's order guide. The aluminum pieces are likely to be better protection than the plastic on the original, though the plastic is not bad. There are no crash bars yet, but I'm told these are on the way. Interestingly, the rider pegs, which are spring-loaded, are broad of girth (good) and the rubber covers can be easily removed to expose a serrated frame (good). No need for after-market pegs here.

I went back and reviewed the specs and was surprised (!) to learn that the wheelbase of the G XC actually is longer than the F, but not by much, though it feels much shorter. I think this is because the "ergo's" have the rider more forward and (I suspect) because the fork angle is more acute. I'll have to check this.

I mentioned previously that BMW already offers a windscreen -- both smoked and clear. What I did not mention was that the accessories were surprisingly inexpensive. I bought almost everything that was offered and likely to be available soon (except the titanium pipes) and the total was $1,400. This included both fore and aft bag, aft bag mounting kit. aluminum engine guard and chain guard, various other aluminum bits, wind screen, and (as I recall) the "full" hand guards. (The hand guards come in three versions - a protective bar, the bar with a plastic cover, and the bar, plastic cover with a wind deflector. These are successive in the sense that you can go from the first to the last. )

The bike does come with the usual BMW electrical plug.

Also worth note is that the suspension travel is considerably longer than the F650 GS (9.4 fr and 8.3 rr), where the F is 6.7/6.5 and the Dakar is 8.3 each. Seat height is listed at 33.1 but, because the seat is narrow, it is easier to reach the ground than one might think. I am just under 5-10 and don't have a problem with the height. (Were I 5-9 or shorter, however, I might opt for the low seat.) In factory trim, the suspension settings seem very predictable. Though I've only put 30 miles on so far (hardly enough to be sure), I did cover some varied terrain and I experienced no suspension "willowing" as one might anticipate with the long travel.

Braking seems very good. No issues with the ABS, but the bike is too new to be sure.

I did not stress the engine, for obvious reasons, but I could not tell a great deal of difference from the F except that I believe there is torque accessible at lower rpm. I've read that max torque is available at 3000 and stays with you to 5250. Not that you can tell for sure, since there is no tach.

Finally, I was pleasantly suprised by the seat. Though it looks similar to the F seat, it felt more comfortable. There is something of a "reinforced" aft section that you can push your "back" side to, and which is both secure and comfortable. The bike also felt very well balanced when sitting and, as one would hope, extremely well balanced when standing.

All for now.

Similarity to Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail

I see some similarities - unsurprising, since the G650s all are made by Aprilia (and all use a Rotax engine). The engine appears to be the same -- but the BMW's chain is on the right while the Aprilia chain is on the left. Also, the G 650 has a single exhaust on the left while the Aprilia has twin exhaust cans. The BMW also uses "upside down" forks which the Aprilia does not and the travel appears to be longer. The seats appear very similar. The frame appears different to me - both use the engine as a stressed member but the BMW uses a diagonal main member which the Aprilia does not. The rear swing arm appears similar.

My impression, frankly, is that the Aprilia looks a lot more like the F650 GS than the G 650 XC. In fact, having checked the specs on the Aprilia, it IS much more like the F650 GS. It has a 4.2 gal. tank (same as the F650), produces 50 hp (vs 53 for the G) and the G has a 11.5 compression ratio vs 10.0 on the Aprilia.

I've attached a photo of the XC for comparison.

Attachments

• 03-18-07_1648.jpg
    03-18-07_1648.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 874
Ride Report & Photos G650 XC

Put about 40 miles in the canyons here in Topanga - including (for those who know) a loop past the Rock Store on Mulholland and back.

Change "two word description" from "Very Fun" to "A Blast". This bike is NOT - repeat - NOT a repackage of the F650 GS. (I should know: I put 5,000+ miles on one in 2006.) This is something different. It is FASTER, not so much in raw power or pt-to-pt acceleration (though it is improved) but in the Speed You Can Carry in the corners. In the canyons, this bike is damn quick - even with just a few miles on the OD and with new tires. The low weight makes all the difference - it can be "flung" as well as "steered" and it responds instantly and accurately.

When I traded my F650 GS for a Ducati ~ 6 mos. ago, I recall that, the first time I rode the Duc through the canyons, I was awed at its superior handling and power. The G650XC handles much more like the Duc than the F 650, and that is saying something. (Power is not comparable, and neither is braking, but that is not the point.) There's enough power, and it is very tractable - I was really impressed with how well this bike navigates at low rpm range (again - not that I can be sure, since there is no tach). Though I didn't wind it up often (owing to some respect for break-in), when I did, I was suprised and gratified with an exhaust note that was definitely more growl-like than the sewing machine noise I associate with the F650. Though this is definitely a faster bike than the F650, in almost any circumstance I can imagine, I felt it was a safer bike because it is so much lighter. All of us know it, but the fact that the G weighs ~20% less than the F affects all aspects of performance -- acceleration, handling and braking. I didn't test them hard, but I was impressed with the brakes.

I haven't tried this in the dirt, yet, but I have no qualms since I know the Tourance tires are a good choice for all but sand and deep mud and the wide torque range will make this bike very tractable. Also, with 8+ inches of travel front and rear, I can't figure I'll run over anything that will traumatize the suspension.

Having read this is a "claw" clutch, I decided to try a few up- and downshifts without using the clutch. No problem. I'll probably use the clutch most of the time, but under serious load or control situations, my impression is that no clutch is needed.

This is a tall bike, though. Even though the seat is narrow, and there is a fair amount of sag built in, a friend who is closer to 5-7 tried to sit on it. No go. Though mine has the standard seat (I'm just under 5-10), this is a bike that may prove too tall for some persons of lesser height.

A photo is attached. I'll post one more in a separate message.

Rob

Attachments

• 03-18-07_1643.jpg
    03-18-07_1643.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 634
What a very beautiful motorcycle! I still want one for myself!

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the posts and the pictures. I still think the G 650XC is one of the best looking new bikes that have come out in a long time. Once I can determine a way to beat the limited range issue, either by a vendor such as TOURATECH or if BMW brings out an "Adventure" tank, I will sell the KLR 650 and get a 'G'. A R100GS riding buddy of mine (he's the local 'Airheads' Air Marshal) mentioned Acerbis and E-Z tanks that are auxiliary tanks that either mount above the front forks or on the back luggage rack. I would rather not go that way with an external fuel supply, but even just one more gallon will get me from San Ignacio through El Cuarenta to San Juanico on the West Side Highway in Baja, without strapping on a plastic jug of gas.

Thanks, Don

The G series are a welcome and sharp looking addition to the BMW line-up.

I only hope that BMW doesn't plan to phase out the F650 series, because as it stands, the range on any of the G series is a complete joke, no matter how the sales people tell me the bike is supposed to be used (nice of them to tell me so).

On top of a tank roughly half the size of the F series, the new G series are far less fuel efficient than the F series...what gives? Progress?

The G series are a welcome and sharp looking addition to the BMW line-up.

I only hope that BMW doesn't plan to phase out the F650 series, because as it stands, the range on any of the G series is a complete joke, no matter how the sales people tell me the bike is supposed to be used (nice of them to tell me so).

On top of a tank roughly half the size of the F series, the new G series are far less fuel efficient than the F series...what gives? Progress?

Different market. These are playbikes, not touring bikes. I've had a couple days to ride an X Moto and it's a major playbike. I couldn't imagine going any distance on it, even though I got about 65mpg. It's a tiny bike and feels substantially smaller than the F650.

Thanks for the informative replies. I am concerned about the tank as well. I've done some further reading, and it is possible to get as much as 60 mpg so that there is 150 mi. range with the base tank. I have a Garmin Zumo which I will mount on the G XC and that will allow me to track mpg very accurately.

I look forward to a larger tank and am familiar with Touratech from upgrades I made to the F650 GS I once had. However, I am a bit skeptical because the G tank, like that of the F, is under the seat, and what appears to be the tank is the airbox -- so a larger tank will be fairly complicated. Nevertheless, the market will "demand" one, so it will come. Also, I have heard that BMW and/or Touratech already have panniers and mounting kits in the works. Hopefully, they will not look so much like commuter bags as those BMW sells for the F 650GS.

As soon as I have the factory tail and tank bag, and the aluminum gear -- next week? -- I will post photos. These look good from the photos I saw on the dealer's order guide. The aluminum pieces are likely to be better protection than the plastic on the original, though the plastic is not bad. There are no crash bars yet, but I'm told these are on the way. Interestingly, the rider pegs, which are spring-loaded, are broad of girth (good) and the rubber covers can be easily removed to expose a serrated frame (good). No need for after-market pegs here.

I went back and reviewed the specs and was surprised (!) to learn that the wheelbase of the G XC actually is longer than the F, but not by much, though it feels much shorter. I think this is because the "ergo's" have the rider more forward and (I suspect) because the fork angle is more acute. I'll have to check this.

I mentioned previously that BMW already offers a windscreen -- both smoked and clear. What I did not mention was that the accessories were surprisingly inexpensive. I bought almost everything that was offered and likely to be available soon (except the titanium pipes) and the total was $1,400. This included both fore and aft bag, aft bag mounting kit. aluminum engine guard and chain guard, various other aluminum bits, wind screen, and (as I recall) the "full" hand guards. (The hand guards come in three versions - a protective bar, the bar with a plastic cover, and the bar, plastic cover with a wind deflector. These are successive in the sense that you can go from the first to the last. )

The bike does come with the usual BMW electrical plug.

Also worth note is that the suspension travel is considerably longer than the F650 GS (9.4 fr and 8.3 rr), where the F is 6.7/6.5 and the Dakar is 8.3 each. Seat height is listed at 33.1 but, because the seat is narrow, it is easier to reach the ground than one might think. I am just under 5-10 and don't have a problem with the height. (Were I 5-9 or shorter, however, I might opt for the low seat.) In factory trim, the suspension settings seem very predictable. Though I've only put 30 miles on so far (hardly enough to be sure), I did cover some varied terrain and I experienced no suspension "willowing" as one might anticipate with the long travel.

Braking seems very good. No issues with the ABS, but the bike is too new to be sure.

I did not stress the engine, for obvious reasons, but I could not tell a great deal of difference from the F except that I believe there is torque accessible at lower rpm. I've read that max torque is available at 3000 and stays with you to 5250. Not that you can tell for sure, since there is no tach.

Finally, I was pleasantly suprised by the seat. Though it looks similar to the F seat, it felt more comfortable. There is something of a "reinforced" aft section that you can push your "back" side to, and which is both secure and comfortable. The bike also felt very well balanced when sitting and, as one would hope, extremely well balanced when standing.

All for now.

Great writeup.

I remember when the HP2 was introduced and in the U.S. email announcement BMW went to pains to mention something along the lines of "if you want to load up with gear and head to Alaska this bike is not for you, get a GS or Adventure and have at it".

My point here is that BMW is no longer having as a requirement that every bike they offer can easily transverse the country in 50 hours and we should understand that not every BMW is the best bike for such use.

I remember when the R11S was introduced and folks started putting on bar riders, peg lowers, taller windscreens and heavy seats when they should have just bought an RS. I see the same thing happening here, i.e. this bike is a ultra light woods weapon which is also very "streetable", however I don't think it was intended as a long range adventure touring mount.

I say save your money, keep the bike stock and come do some of the NASA rallies with us.

As always YMMV.

Best,

Rob Nye

G 650 XC - touring

Great exchange. I think the previous post is right on target that this bike is not intended, like so many others, to be capable of going to Tierra del Fuego. But ... that does not make it a "play bike" in a derogative sense. It makes it a "fun" bike that can be used for weekend tours and for day trips. Because it weighs 75 lbs less than the F, and 125+ lbs less than the R -- and I have owned the former and ridden the latter -- it is a TOTALLY different riding experience, and not for the worse. Don't think this is a "toy" because my experience (all 70 miles of it) is that it is faster in a straight line and faster in the curves than the F, and more agile and "wieldable" than a R ever could hope to be. Size (well, mass) matters, and once you pilot one of these, you'll appreciate how very different the experience is to have something truly light. As mentioned in an early message, I also put in about 25 miles on the US 101 in traffic and wind, and was surprised (relieved) at highway stability and prowess. This is a bike you can "ride to the ride," even if it isn't one you can pack to go out for a week.

I don't love the small tank, but I do like where it is -- under the seat -- in contrast to the R 1200GS and to the KTM 950 Adventure S (which I also have ridden). The latter, for example, has a lot more range, but when fully loaded, with ~7 gal. of gas up top (in split tanks hung on the center backbone), you are all too well aware of how much mass is sloshing around up high in those gas tanks -- believe me, there is no comparison, and this is not to flatter the KTM, in the "tip-in" experience on the KTM and that of the BMW G. I suppose the expert rider can handle the KTM or the 1200 GS Adventure when fully fueled and loaded, but my goal is to get around quick without having to worry about the dynamics of such high-carried mass.

Once I get back to Topanga, I'll rig the Zumo onto the G and do some realistic tests of mileage. I'm figuring it is going to be good for 120 to 150 miles. Enough -- even if not ideal.

As to mods, all I'm doing is replacing the factory plastic protection with the factory aluminum protection, adding the factory handguards, the factory tank and rear bag, and the factory windscreen.

One final note: my other bike is an 06 Ducati Multistrada 1000S DS, which is equipped with Oehlins, the full Termi exhaust kit, luggage, heated grips, center stand, nav, etc. etc. A great (!!) bike capable of going almost everywhere and fast. What you can't do, however, is go "off road" much further than the distance from the highway to the check-in at the B&B. (Well, you can do some well-maintained fire roads, but carefully). With the G now in the garage as well, I can return to the trails, once-were-roads and non-roads and the whole dual sport thing -- which is great. AND ... in contrast to the Duc, the G does not notify every living thing before and after its route with either its exhaust or clutch noise. I love the sound of the Duc, but one wouldn't leave home for far without quality ear plugs. Since dual sport rides often occur on public lands, or near residents whose quality of life we should respect, it bears note that this is a relatively quiet bike.

All for now. Thanks for your patience!

It really bothers and upsets me in what BMW could have made of this machine salewise!

Greetings Rob,

As a BMW fanatic I think the premise that bothers me the most is what BMW could have done with this machine if they had given it a four gallon plus tank! Namely, they could have had conquest sales against Kawasaki, KTM and a host of other manufacturers that sell similar bikes. After 38 years of riding BMW, getting close to a half million miles on them and a total of nine of these wonderful machines, I want to see BMW succeed big time with every new motorcycle that they bring out! But I just don't see that happening with the X Country unless they give it a 200 mile plus range.

I've absolutely not ridden to Tierra del Fuego, but I've ridden to Guatemala; and I just know that if the G 650XC could successfully make it between PEMEX stations that it would be a PERFECT machine for me. Everyone speaks from personal experience: In my personal case I had a heart attack while diving in Hawaii two years ago and I recently suffered a fractured distal fibula when my bike went over on me on a dirt road in Mexico. I've had to face the reality that the weight of a BMW R1100GS is just too much for me to handle anymore. The weight and the wonderful handling characteristics of the G 650XC that you have well described so far tell me that this is the machine that can get me off my KLR 650 and back on a BMW.

I am a Director of AZ Beemers, a Phoenix BMWMOA and BMWRA club of 150 members, and it is not just myself that sees this fuel range problem as a major flub on the part of BMW. There were six of us ready to buy this machine, we have all held off on purchasing! Perhaps it is because most of we Phoenicians can reach a long dirt road within just twenty miles of where we live for exploring that causes this puny range to affect our offroad riding routes. If I lived in the Bay Area and New England where the gas stations are plentiful and close together this would probably not affect me at all. In the Grand Canyon State of Arizona our gas stations even on the pavement are way far apart, you have to really watch your fuel level when you ride on the Reservation Lands. I am going to find a way around this fuel fiasco, I really do want the machine you have got. Hopefully TOURATECH, Acerbis or the BMW factory will ride to the rescue and come out with an easily retrofitted larger tank!

Sincerely yours,

Don Stanley
www.azbeemers.org

Different market. These are playbikes, not touring bikes.

Well thats a lot of coin to be dropping on a toy. The F650 can be seen as a toy, yet they've been all over the world on some serious tours.

I'd sooner go for the F650 Dakar...in reality, that might happen if I decide to sell the KLR 650.

Originally Posted by KBasa
Different market. These are playbikes, not touring bikes.

Well thats a lot of coin to be dropping on a toy. The F650 can be seen as a toy, yet they've been all over the world on some serious tours.

It's all relative. I don't consider my F650 a toy at all. This is my toy:

03.jpg

I'm kind of amazed at the difficulty people have with the concept "play bike." Even people with $50,000 boats don't grasp it, until they through a leg over......

Well, there is a light at the end of the tunnel; from Touratech!

BMW is not stepping up to the plate to fix the asinine 2.5 gallon gas tank problem on the G 650XC, but fortunately for us Touratech is. Here is my response below received yesterday from Kimmo in Seattle. My decision is made, one more trip to Batopilas in Barranca del Cobre on the KLR 650 and then the Kawasaki is sold. Rob, by Labor Day I will be joining you as an owner of a 'G'! Regards from Don Stanley in Chandler, Arizona.

Hello,
In response to your mailed question regarding the Xchallenge larger tank. Touratech Germany is developing larger tank for this bike but unfortunately we do not have the specs, price or estimated wait time available as of now. I'm thinking it'll be earliest 3rd quarter of 2007 before they could be ready - but this is only my guestimation based on similar products for other bikes such as R1200GS large tanks.
I own the same R1100GS and I'm very interested in the G650X so I hope the larger tank will be available soon!

Greetings,

Kimmo Lassila
CycoActive Inc/Touratech-USA
tel (206) 323-2349 ext. 225 or 800-491-2926
fax (206) 325-6016
4021 Airport Way South
Seattle, WA 98108 USA
| website: http://www.cycoactive.com
| website: http://www.touratech-usa.com
| e-mail: klassila@touratech-usa.com

Touratech USA Newsletter
Events, news, and new products - sign up here: