• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel pump controller

paulie321

I suspect the fuel pump controller failed when I decided to remove the fairings and clean the frame on my R1200S.
Am I destined to buy a $175 replacement or is there someone that can repair them?
How about blowing it off completely and running the pump full blast forever? Or adding resisters and running it at 80%? As I understand it that’s the value the controller drops the voltage.
I love this bike and I’ve been buying the same bike since my new 1978 R100S. Was looking at Ducatis when I saw the 1200S. Real motorcycles have horizontal cylinders!

There are a number of threads on the controller in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Maybe some light reading there might have some ideas. :)

Are you certain the controller is bad? Or just a god guess?
It should power up the pump on key on, and again while cranking the engine. It will not be on all the time, unless the engine is running.

It’s either the controller or the brains. The fuel pump works when bypassed.
I’ve seen all the other threads, I’m wondering if anyone has attempted to repair this board.

I suspect the fuel pump controller failed when I decided to remove the fairings and clean the frame on my R1200S.
Am I destined to buy a $175 replacement or is there someone that can repair them?
How about blowing it off completely and running the pump full blast forever? Or adding resisters and running it at 80%? As I understand it that’s the value the controller drops the voltage.
I love this bike and I’ve been buying the same bike since my new 1978 R100S. Was looking at Ducatis when I saw the 1200S. Real motorcycles have horizontal cylinders!
For "Everything you wanted to know about fuel pump controllers", check out this Best of Forum-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55047-Everything-you-wanted-to-know

OM

Interesting and odd with my HP-2 Enduro

My 2006 HP-2 Enduro has an issue very similar to fuel pump controller malfunction but after installing a new one I still have no start, no fuel pressure and some frustration.

History: Bought the bike new in 2006, 6,500 miles, replaced the battery several times over the years, fuel pump housing thing recall completed a while back and pretty much a pampered life from day one. I checked the valve clearance, installed new spark plugs and changed the oil this past week end. I did remove the "Booster plug" that I added a few years back thinking that may be an issue. The bike is basically stock except light weight stainless steel headers (cat delete) with a WRA muffler and a clean K&N air filter.

Installed a new fuel pump controller ( the Black one) and still no start or fuel pump running. Removed the fuel pump assembly from the bike, installed a bypass line and in a bucket of gas (Chevron high test) gave it a straight 12 volts to the pump. It had good solid and stead fuel flow and the pump was nice and quiet, I repeated a few times just to see if I could cause a failure or blow myself up. No luck with either.

I do have a question about the set up on this bike. The feed to the fuel pump controller has three (3) wires going to it and two (2) going out to the the fuel pump in the tank. A third (3rd) wire seems to run out of that same area to a contact on the fuel pump holder, big plastic thing. What is the purpose of that wire and what is it connected to?

I can usually figure things out and get them fixed but I am stumped here, can anybody explain to me how this system works and what is the purpose of the extra wire is? This is seperate and apart from the fuel level sensor and its wires as I have already figured them out.

I am dropping the bike off at the Dealer Saturday to have the problem diagnosed and repaired and make my Dealer support payment. I'm just real curious as to what the problem may be and how far down a rabbit hole it may go before resolved.

Problem explained and resolved

The dealer has a much better hammer than I do! I brought the bike in with the expectation of leaving it for a week or two and a hefty bill when the repairs are completed. I was pleasantly surprised with a quick and inexpensive resolution and an explanation of how that system works and the probable cause of the problem. It seems that due to my very limited enjoyment of the mighty HP-2 the fuel pump demanded a little more amps to startup than the ECU was willing to allow and it tripped the internal circuit breaker. After Sean (the best BMW Tech around) reset the entire operation and displayed the 45lb sledge hammer (used for computer problems) the bike fired right up. While there I had the throttle body sinc checked and all was good.

I did get the advice to ride the bike more often but be prepared to buy a fuel pump in the future if it remains a garage King, no Queens in my shop.

Back