• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fork service;R1150RT

schnellfahrer

Removed forks from bike, disassembled, cleaned, replaced forks seals, dist cover, and Belray 10 wt. fluid. Followed all procedures as per Clymer manual. Forks are now completely collapsed(retracted) and feel like they are spring loaded when I try to extend them to complete installation. Is this right? Attach fork in crown, pull down to attach in lower fork brace. and continue installation as per Clymer? Or, open bleeder valve to extend fork out of slider to eliminate the pulling against fluid, and then continuing installation? HELP! Schnellfahrer

Bleed screws

What I did was fill each leg with oil -put everything back together, close the bleed screws and set the bike on it's suspension with no rider weight on the bike, then open the bleed screws to let air out,then close the bleed screws.
I had to shorten the allen wrench to get it on the screw.

1150rt

I did my forks as well but cant remember what I did, I remember the same problem though. I had the factor service manual and it was unclear to me what it wanted.

I could look at the factory service manual and let you know what it says.

... feel like they are spring loaded when I try to extend them to complete installation. Is this right? Attach fork in crown, pull down to attach in lower fork brace. and continue installation as per Clymer?

Yes, just like that. Don't relieve the 'vacuum' with the bleed screw.

Collapsed forks

This is probably a stupid question, but did you remove and forget to reinstall the springs or spacers if any? I am not familiar with the R1150 fork, but have rebuilt my K100 Lt forks and other makes. The fork should be extended when reassembled, even when empty of oil. The oil and air volume in the fork is to control the dampening rate, not extend the fork, the spring does that.

If you have only a top screw, it is for oil fill, the lower is for oil drain. A fork is really not bled, Some forks do have schrader valves to adjust the air pressure (stiffer fork), but air is suppose to be in the system.

Ralph Sims

Forgive me if the telever system does not work like a true fork. I have never seen one and have no idea how it works. I did not think of this.

Ralph Sims

Back