• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flickering speedometer backlight '97 R850R

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
Minor issue, but I can't remember where typical problem areas are so I figured I'd get a refresher from you guys.

While riding, mostly my short stints on the interstate, I've noticed that my speedometer backlight intermittently flickers or shuts off. It seemed to be worse in the cold. A couple times it cut out for maybe 10 minutes at a time, but then came back on before the ride was over. Doesn't seem to be in any way correlated to me rotating the handlebars, or to bumps in the road, and I can't replicate it with the bike sitting still.

I have the additive tachometer installed and its light does not flicker. I believe these two lights are on the same positive circuit so I don't suspect it's the entire circuit, but they may have separate grounds. Need to check the diagram again. More generally there are no other electronics that seem to be affected by this.

A few months ago I did undo the very tight factory zip ties on the right wire cluster near the steering head, and replaced them with much looser ones. All the wiring going up to the front of the bike has been re-managed by me in some way, either by wrapping up the colored wires that had been stripped of their cable sheath thanks to the previous owner, or by zip tying wires with similar paths together.

Other than popping open the gauge and checking the actual light bulb, are there any areas that I should look at carefully?

Back