• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Five Days Through Northern California.

burnszilla

My friend Peter, Sean and I ride Northern California.

Day 1: Los Gatos to Redding

Hwy 128 through the Redwoods. Supposedly George Lucas shot the Star Wars Ewok scenes in these forests.
237099426_0a6b774bca.jpg

237099936_78bd7c4c42.jpg

Along California 36. Supposedly the best motorcycle road in California. I was underwhelmed. I prefer Hwy 1 between Westport and Leggett.
237100779_d8f36434e0.jpg

The road was busy with motorcyclists partaking in the Three Flags Classic Rally . Some fellow Canucks on the right perusing the map for alternate routes. There was a fire on Hwy 299 and I was told that the firemen took over the checkpoint and were stamping their papers for the rally. Many rally goers complained that there were just too many twisty roads on the menu for the time allotted.
237101001_d96af58f40.jpg

At the same stop at the junction of Hwy 36 and 3. I saw this guy in a blue 'stich on an Airhead all by himself, so I introduced myself. His name is Conrad Creighton and he's an MOA and MOV member from Vermont. He was making his way to Tracy.
237101058_f024b7d409.jpg

After this stop my fraternity brother from Toronto riding my K75C hit some rocks while supposedly avoiding a deer on a corner and went down. Boy was I mad about the damage to the bike but happy that he lived through it. His new brand new Helimot Buffalo 365 gloves and Daytona boots along with the Joe Rocket gear saved him from a lot of damage. I zipped tied the faring back to the bike and taped up the broken signal lights and we moved on. Sean rode much slower as he was shaken up. His bruise blossomed later on into wonderful purples and reds.
237102166_a9def8fe45.jpg

A few too many beers at the Esquire Room across the parking lot from our motel eased the pain.

Day 2: Redding to Alturas

My plans on this trip were to make it to Hell's Canyon, OR. The plans were soon tossed aside as I realized that my guest couldn't handle 600 mile days like I can. We decided to explore as many off the beaten path roads as possible. After breakfast in Weed, we ended up on the east side of Mount Shasta on a NF road.
237126089_acb5b0a63b.jpg

Exploring some more we came to a small village by the name of Tennant with a paved road in and a dirt road out.
237102713_3d65a7a732.jpg

237102770_6c702773e1.jpg

237102935_31b0b8dc25.jpg

Lava Beds National Park was along the way so we stopped by for a visit. This is a river of lava; cooled down of course. I learned about the Modoc Indians who inhabited the area and the Modoc War. I thought the story would make a great movie.
237103423_c51ef277bb.jpg

Burning Man was releasing salt covered hippies and their vehicles
237104233_f29f52ce7e.jpg

Day 3: Alturas to Quincy

We rode along the highway looking for a good place to eat breakfast. I ignored the Garmin's suggestion and went with the place with the six CHP cars out front. No one knows good food like an officer of the law.
237104634_0c10dc0f74.jpg

The CHiPs were having a shift meeting in the back room. As I was waiting outside the restroom door I was able to eavesdrop on their conversations. Quite enlightening. They bitched and complained a lot.

more...

Soon after, we were riding through the beautiful Lassen National Park and stopped at Summit Lake for a dip. Look at those pecks!
237104805_3fc024d86c.jpg

237106031_18fb2e9765.jpg

Peter passes me on the twisty roads near Mount Lassen.
237106582_07a37143b0.jpg

South of Lake Almanor we rode down Prattville-Butt Resevoir Road. It was quite challenging for the K75s and the ZRX-1200. A GS would have eaten this fire road up. Butt Valley Resevoir...
237107780_175bdc3080.jpg

Hwy 70...
237109203_fc78216d34.jpg

We popped out to the North Fork of the Feather River and made our way up hwy 70 to Quincy were we spent the night at one of my favorite bars in the county, The Plumas Club. It just happened to be NatashaÔÇÖs 21st Birthday so the boys bought her a blowjob shooter.
237109860_e1165a8958.jpg

No Hands!
237109801_ca2c4bd643.jpg

Day 4 Quincy to Tahoe

From Quincy we took the wonderful Hwy 49 through Downieville and then up hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe where we got a motel on the state line.
237110771_ce82eb8a9f.jpg

237110630_bbb732a0b9.jpg

While stopping for fuel in the 100 degree heat of Placerville I noticed some blue-green liquid all over my crank case cover. Oh no! I looked at my radiator and found this
237110923_52d74646b7.jpg

I kept an eye on my temperature light and my reservoir level and had no troubles. Oddly enough, I replaced my old leaking radiator with this used one. Only 2000 miles and it was done. ÔÇ£Save a nickel, spend a dime.ÔÇØ I ordered a new rad when I got home.

We literally spent the evening playing Black Jack at HarrahÔÇÖs after consuming baby back ribs at the Hard Rock Caf?®.

Day 5: Tahoe to Los Gatos
Peter departed on his own early in the morning to make it back to work in Oakland, while Sean and I slept in and took the scenic route home over the Kit Carson Pass along hwy 88.

Eastern side of the Sierras in Nevada.
237111646_34c795183c.jpg

237111957_b80f156e2b.jpg

Sean takes a bite of of a Giant 88 Burger in Pine Grove.
237112348_d868077d8f.jpg

This is an order of SMALL fries..
237112249_0f025448d0.jpg

Valecitos Road heading into scorching hot Livermore. Soon after I filled my pockets with ice cubes. My thighs went numb and my left boot filled up with water. Thanks for the tip Voni!
237112804_537804135b.jpg

Calavares Reservoir viewed from Calavares Road. One of my favorite roads to ride on in the Bay Area.
237112949_4aa4821fe2.jpg

As Calavares Road ends, hang a left on Felter Road and that will take you up to 2000 feet elevation along Sierra Road, which looks over the entire South Bay and the layer of smog over San Jose.
237113010_4f4f59b5da.jpg

Home is only 30 minutes away.

I learned a few things on this trip:

1. I like to plan detailed trips prior to the departure. I'm changing my ways. Planning is fun but a waste of time. ItÔÇÖs better to have a rough idea where you are going and go with the flow. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

2. When a friend wrecks the bike that you just spent months on restoring, be happy that he didnÔÇÖt kill himself. The trip could have been a lot shorter and a lot worse.

3. After the accident donÔÇÖt live in the past. Move on. WhatÔÇÖs done is done. Make the best of it.

4. Travelling long distances is best done alone or with a riding partner that you know is in sync with you and your capabilites.

ALL OF THE RIDE PHOTOS HERE

Great !!! Thanks
I've got an 87C too. Sorry about yours. I know you'll get it looking great again.

Wow! Great report and photos!! Thanks for taking the time to shoot the photos and post them.

Burnszilla said:
Here's a map of the route...
241158195_4e9e4de80b_o.jpg

Man, EXCELLENT ride report! I'm going over some of that area on my way to Quincy this coming weekend. Really looking forward to it. :thumb

I think we'll be coming up 70 from 99.

Outstanding report, mang. Glad to hear everyone's OK.

What's this???

A Burnzilla ride report without a vomit picture???

Your're slipp'n big guy.

:clap

Say Hi to Sharon.

Great report! I like the simplicity of the coffe shop picture with the law enforcement vehicle. How true that they know where to eat far better than Garmin! Good lessons learned list too!

Lovely ride report and pix. Thanks!!

I agree with you on 36. My personal fave is 96 (Happy Camp and all that.) 2nd fave is actually the Sunday Morning Ride - CA 1 from Mill Valley to Valley Ford.

burnszilla - excellent report. glad to hear that your bud was able to continue on the trip.

it's interesting to read what you wrote about the planning aspect of a trip. i find that sometimes i like a well-planned trip, and other times, i like to meander and don't mind not reaching my "destination." but i set out on those trips with the appropriate mindset. it sounds like you had to shift yours mid-trip, which you did.

great photos as well - way to go. i love the CA ride reports.

Nice report Stephen,

I see that you avoided the better roads on N.Cal (CA3 & CA96) for the Fungal ride. If you get up into Oregon between Ashland and Klammath Falls be sure to take Hwy66 or Dead Indian to Clover Creek Road.

Glad your pal is OK and you are right, metal and plastic can always be repaired/replaced and brusies go away. Glad he was wearing some gear if not all the gear...

Russ

Last edited:
Five Days

Travelling long distances is best done alone or with a riding partner that you know is in sync with you....
Burnzilla

I agree, Stephen. I started riding over 40 years ago, but didn't start solo touring until last year, and I really like it. This year I returned alone from the Stanley Stomp in Idaho to my home in Calgary, covering about 1100 km in 11 and a half hours. I left the Lodge early, skipping breakfast and coffee, and running at my RS's sweet spot, 4100 in 6th, for about 135 km/hr. Meals were a granola bar or peanuts with juice at fuel stops, during short rests. There was little Sunday morning traffic or road construction, and I had a fast but scenic route up the Salmon and Bitterroot River valleys. There was no waiting for partners to pass slower traffic, adjust clothing, or at bath room breaks. While the run was certainly no Iron Butt, it was very satisfying, and I enjoyed pushing myself and getting a payback from my daily fitness regime.

I will still ride with my friends, and we match up well, but solo touring is a nice change in pace, and I can see why BMW owners are into it. Our bikes really are superb long distance machines.

Rinty

Last edited:
Back