• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Finished my first year of riding.....Tucson to Texas and back

2 wheels, engine or pedal power

I have been riding bicycles for several years off and on, never paid much attention to it. Until last year that is, bought a mountain bike and hit the trails as much as I could, than bought a road bike this summer and have steadily accumulated some miles on it. I live in Champaign - I have to drive 30+ miles to get to a mountain bike trail.

Whatever I can do to be on two wheels, I will do.

SHUNK said:
I have been riding bicycles for several years off and on, never paid much attention to it. Until last year that is, bought a mountain bike and hit the trails as much as I could, than bought a road bike this summer and have steadily accumulated some miles on it. I live in Champaign - I have to drive 30+ miles to get to a mountain bike trail.

Whatever I can do to be on two wheels, I will do.

Ahh..very cool! I'm with ya on that...I love anything with two wheels. Wow, you're that close to mountains eh?
:bikes

Yeah, those K75's love 90... 92 seems downright comfy.. but I tell ya.. they love 106, 116, and the occasional 128 too.... not that I do that anymore.

:bolt

msalowit said:
Yeah, those K75's love 90... 92 seems downright comfy.. but I tell ya.. they love 106, 116, and the occasional 128 too.... not that I do that anymore.

:bolt

Hehehe.....is 128 the point at which the cells in your body start to mutate? I can't imagine at this point in my young motorcycle riding life going that fast....I've done 145 in a car (Autobahn) and that was crazy, crazy fast.

What does that tach read on a K75s at 128?

JQ

I want to say around 8500. I know 135-136 is 9000 :) It's been... oh... 7-8 years? Haven't had a long, empty, unpatrolled (with no deer crossings) stretch of road since at least then. Of course, it may have been slower in real MPH if I am reading the speedo drift stuff correctly, but when the tach is pegged, the bike's in 5th, and the dotted yellow line goes solid.... who cares?

145 is fun... that was in a '64 Vette with the top *down*.

PS... it's probably best not to develop the taste for -that- kind of riding. Took me several years to break myself of the redline addiction. High-speed cruising is awesome under the right circumstances, but red-line dancing is a dangerous and unforgiving world. It can also get your bike confiscated in some states, and your liscence revoked in all of them. And then you can't ride.

msalowit said:
PS... it's probably best not to develop the taste for -that- kind of riding. Took me several years to break myself of the redline addiction. High-speed cruising is awesome under the right circumstances, but red-line dancing is a dangerous and unforgiving world. It can also get your bike confiscated in some states, and your liscence revoked in all of them. And then you can't ride.

I know what you mean....I often tell my friends that I'm very glad I waited until I was 33 to start motorcycling.....I was way too stupid back in my early twenties :)

JQ

Nice ride report! Next time let me know. Harriet and I live in El Paso, TX and are always looking for an excuse to go to a good steakhouse and talk motorcycles. Harriet also has 3 K75 bikes. They may "like" 93 octane fuel, but they run great with the cheapest regular I can find. I've never heard any of them ping on any fuel under any conditions.
Ride Safe,

Cool, I'll have to take you up on that sometime! I've never ran regular unlead in my Kbike....when I read the owners manual I think it said to run premium so I've been running 91 octane since I got it. I was just surprised how much better (at least on the butt dyno) the bike ran with 93 octane. I really had never thought of it, but if someone had asked me beforehand I would have sworn that a two octane difference wouldn't improve performance and driveability that much.

JQ

Back