• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive question

2slow

Got a problem on a 77 R100RS with the final drive blows oil out of the vent on top can the vent be taken out and cleaned the oil level seems right at the fill plug not sure whats going on any ideas thanks

They sometimes do that with abrupt temperature changes, especially when cold, or with changes of altitude. It is possible that moisture entrained into the gear oil may cause foaming, but sometimes air just gets chopped into the oil increasing its volume.

I've had it happen once on a bike and never again in 100K miles, on more than one different bike. I would be suspicious of moisture though, so changing the gear oil might be in order.

Did you experiment with gear oils - must use same weight of gear oil BMW specs

I tried 85w 140 once in the hopes it might stop some migration from
rear drive forward into driveshaft area.

The heavier 85w140 would sling up and come out the vent - switched
back to 80w90 and all ok again

thanks guys I'll try those things not sure what weight oil is in there as I just bought the bike this fall and yes it was cold today

Make sure your seal is good between the driveshaft and the final drive. I had gear oil venting and ot wound up being the nut securing the pinion gear on the fd came loose and the driveshaft oil made its way into the fd and relieved. The final drive oil level always looked fine but if I.drained the driveshaft oil it was always low. It's easy to take the final drive off and check

Gl5,

Its been for along time now,GL5 is used in most aps, less frothing, better overall than previous GL4s. Be sure you know whats in there? All my miles, never had this happen but yours clearly is, so! Some easy checks are in order; vent, drive shaft housing oil not migrating back, not much else. Good luck, Randy:usa

Final Drive leak

Make sure your seal is good between the driveshaft and the final drive. I had gear oil venting and ot wound up being the nut securing the pinion gear on the fd came loose and the driveshaft oil made its way into the fd and relieved. The final drive oil level always looked fine but if I.drained the driveshaft oil it was always low. It's easy to take the final drive off and check

I've just discovered the same problem on my R90S. I picked up a seal and a tool from Cycleworks.net that will allow me to tighten the nut to spec.

DaveM
1975 R90S
2000 R1100RT

Back