• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive Failure

shoeman

How cold was it?
I am now in intensive psychiatric care. I ride and ride my '98 Rt and '01GS and I just can't get the final drive to fail! The damn engine won't surge either. I feel I am being persecuted by BMW. I hopefully ride down the road listening intently for the grind or try feeling the looseness- nothing. Is their a support group for riders without problems on high mileage bikes they have owned since new? It seems unfair to have the only problem free bikes.

i'm sorry your final drive is letting you down in this regard

finalous driveous failureous notous

shoeman,
i think the reason for your mis-fortune is due to living in a state that is flat as can be. no, no, hear me out. due to the extreme level-ness of your home turf road system, the oil level in the final drive remains at a constant level. this coupled with the true north-south & east-west orientation of roadways causes the oil to be very "organized". this allows for maximun inter-roller distribution of lubrication & maximun cooling of all roller elements. :whistle

Gotta be Kansas;

What you using in the rear drive units, corn oil:)? This would explain all your worries! I've had one K1200LT rear failure and it comes quickly, with no warning in my case. You can do a check for rear wheel play, however that is a bit of a forewarning idea. My Airhead is bomb proof, like your beemers. It does not break:)Randy13233 PS;Two of the Iron Butt new BMW's broke to rear end failures of some kind this week! hmmmmmm?:violin

Back