• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

feeler gauges for valve settings

woody99

Hi: I have 2009 RT and am getting together the tools to adjust my valve and was wonder where to get the proper feeler gauges for exhaust and intake valves, is it something from BMW or can it be purchased at Auto parts.Thanks Woody

Wunderlich has the four-piece set (two of each size) for $20.

Don't forget you also need the thing to pull the coil off.

Pete

Oh my. Special feeler guages. After I get my special BMW motorcycle feeler guages I will then get my special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. :)

Oh my. Special feeler guages. After I get my special BMW motorcycle feeler guages I will then get my special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. :)

Nope it is generic, just wanted to have something on my list that was affordable for the kids to get me that I can use. This fits the bill, has 21 metric blades nicely stamped gap sizes with an easy thumbscrew to get them apart into single blades. I also get to do one more maintenance thing that I never have done myself before which is nice. :dance

I like the feeler gauge sets made by Hornig, available here: http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com/Metric-Feeler-Gauge-Set-HOR-21072110.htm

I like these because they are designed as metric from the outset, so they go up in .02mm increments instead of the weird and variable increments on most sets that are marked with standard and metric numbers. Very helpful. :thumb

Except for one little issue. This set has a .14mm and a .16mm blade, but does not have a .15mm blade which is the intake valve specification on R1100 and R1150 bikes we own. I can get closer with my .006" blade being .1524mm.

Except for one little issue. This set has a .14mm and a .16mm blade, but does not have a .15mm blade which is the intake valve specification on R1100 and R1150 bikes we own. I can get closer with my .006" blade being .1524mm.

Well, not all sets are going to be best for all engines. I was very happy using them with my wethead.

Paul - time to contact the mothership.. your bike was shipped with a special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. It's sitting there all lonely in the minimalist current model toolkits (and.. and.. AND... A N D . . . the blade reverses in the handle giving you Philips and flat screwdrivers all in one tool - and there is a T25 Torx bit that also plugs into it. A virtual toolbox in a single tool!)

BTW - that isn't THAT far fetched - if you ever wrenched on Japanese bikes from the 70's you'd find that the metric philips heads used (made out of solidified cheese) WERE a slightly different shape then a US philips bit. Combined with the soft metal, this was a recipe for learning how to remove stripped-head bolts.

BTW - that isn't THAT far fetched - if you ever wrenched on Japanese bikes from the 70's you'd find that the metric philips heads used (made out of solidified cheese) WERE a slightly different shape then a US philips bit. Combined with the soft metal, this was a recipe for learning how to remove stripped-head bolts.
I still have the impact driver that I rode my bicycle to purchase so I could work on my Honda(s).

images

Kinda a "must have" even nowadays.
OM

Last edited:
Still have the one I bought with my paper route money to break apart my first Honda 90 as well...and still sees use, especially on old Hondas:thumb

But back to the feeler gauges, I use the color coded ones 'cause I can't read the little a$$ numbers on my many loose ones w/out my glasses, which I can't find half the time. :laugh TEHO:wave

Paul - time to contact the mothership.. your bike was shipped with a special BMW motorcycle screwdriver. It's sitting there all lonely in the minimalist current model toolkits (and.. and.. AND... A N D . . . the blade reverses in the handle giving you Philips and flat screwdrivers all in one tool - and there is a T25 Torx bit that also plugs into it. A virtual toolbox in a single tool!)

the Japanese bikes STILL use JIS fasteners....you can buy JIS screwdrivers at McMaster-Carr.....

and i ALWAYS thought any reasonable shade tree motorcycle mechanic had an impact driver for the "cheesy" fasteners......:)

Hi: I have 2009 RT and am getting together the tools to adjust my valve and was wonder where to get the proper feeler gauges for exhaust and intake valves, is it something from BMW or can it be purchased at Auto parts.Thanks Woody

I purchased a set from eBay, came with two for each side, out of Germany, about $30 Canadian.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111589731422 or look for this in your eBay search "FEELER GAUGE SET (2 x 0,15 / 2 x 0,30) BMW R1150RT R1200RT ".

I recently discovered an impact driver for these screws, and it works way easier!

View attachment 52834

Jim :brow
Well, just to prove that I belong to Wyman's official shade tree mechanic club, I have two hand impact drivers (not sure when/how that happened), one DeWalt battery one like JVB, and a big ass air impact driver that has absolutely no use on a motorcycle other than loosening up the bolt that holds the top of the front strut shaft.

And if none of those work - I have an old airhead fork tube that I use as a long cheater bar. If those won't bust loose the nut, I'll cut it off with a Dremel tool.

JayJay

Back