• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800S Review in 11/07 ON is sparkling!

AZ-J

Riding where it's hot!
Wow! A BMW branded heretic, witch, and devil and loved all the way! Long live the F800S!!!

Yeah but a witch in a long dress rules.

Everyone knows the ST is better :nyah

Yeah but a witch in a long dress rules.

Everyone knows the ST is better :nyah

Yeah, but everyone who likes that witch in a long dress the way I like mine, would want her with that long dress OFF :evil, making the S much better at all it should do because of its equivalent less weight! :bliss

Of course, we could get into that "less weight" v "more filling" argument, but you can keep that one to beer, not here. I'll take that lighter weight, with the option to remove it all and put it on when needed, anytime. :brad :dance

This argument only has substance until the F800GS reaches the showroom.

And then someday maybe an RT version. Hope I live that long! :gerg

By the time you add those metal boxes GS'ers use for saddle bags, that will make the GS heavier than the S. The dry weight difference between the GS and S is about 7-9 lbs in favor of the GS, but one of those bags will be close to that, and two will be double that, and then a top bag on the tail rack? That's all heavier than strap on/strap off luggage I use on overnighters and then it all hangs on a nice rack near my bike in the finished garage it sleeps in. Also, when I swap out my exhaust with an Akro Ti, it'll make up that 7-9 lbs difference in no time.

And, we S-mongers have a year ahead experience as to the handling (I was sweeping through traffic galore today), so the GS people will have a lot of catching up to do!

As for an RT version, those will be heavier, too.

Remember, I did not write that article, I only reported its existence, and there's a beautiful companion article on the F800 engine and its complete design in the new English edition, Vol. 1, BMW Motorcycle Magazine, too.

Can't disagree with anything you say. But that engine should be able to haul a modest amount of camping essentials with lots of grunt left over.

I have ridden the ST and it is a rocket. The S is a fine bike but would hate to maintain that posture for 800 miles.

HappyT-Bird.gif

Can't disagree with anything you say. But that engine should be able to haul a modest amount of camping essentials with lots of grunt left over.

I have ridden the ST and it is a rocket. The S is a fine bike but would hate to maintain that posture for 800 miles.

HappyT-Bird.gif

Sir, now it is I that can't disagree with anything you say. But it is ironic you mention posture: on an ST I sit body leaning toward tail, cruiser-style, and on this S, I sit upright, body leaned forward ever slightly. It was posture that made me buy my S. Of course, we are each different, with differing ergos,, and YMMV.

Last edited:

An F800RT. That would be a great bike. If your listening BMWNA please pass the word along to headquarters to build this bike. Thanks....future buyer. :wave

:laugh
An F800RT. That would be a great bike. If your listening BMWNA please pass the word along to headquarters to build this bike. Thanks....future buyer. :wave

An F-8-RT :fart Talk about target marketing in a name. Maybe the ideal designation for a bike that appeals to old farts with their pipes and slippers :gerg A smaller lighter version of the current RT for those who can't handle the big one anymore. :stick :laugh

It is funny what one person finds comfortable another finds tortuous. I find my 800S to be more comfortable than my R or RT or RS was. I did a 1006 mile day followed by a 300 mile day and then did a 870, 748, and a 953 miles for 3 days and the 748 mile day was 14 hours long with very little time off since I was going through Yellowstone and east of there. Anyway, I have over 19,000 miles since April 17th and can't say enough good things about it except maybe there are prettier BMWs.

It is funny what one person finds comfortable another finds tortuous. I find my 800S to be more comfortable than my R or RT or RS was. I did a 1006 mile day followed by a 300 mile day and then did a 870, 748, and a 953 miles for 3 days and the 748 mile day was 14 hours long with very little time off since I was going through Yellowstone and east of there. Anyway, I have over 19,000 miles since April 17th and can't say enough good things about it except maybe there are prettier BMWs.

From me: amen, brother! :bow. I went to buy the ST first, test-rode it, found it so uncomfortable, had to test-ride the S and vice-versa comfy, bought it on the spot! Never regretted that decision, since. Just like that 6-speed, sun-roofed, 8 air-bagged, 255X35X19 tired and wheeled, tighter-than-stock sprung, and chrome 35lb lighter exhaust, RX-8 I have in a color Mazda called Winning Blue, I bought 3 years ago.

Like my sig says, it's a tough choice each day, and confess while the RX wins for work-practicality most days, my heart says the S more each day.

Back