• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650GS Twin as only bike

Mr. Jim
Here goes my story... I have a DR650 and an 1150R. My riding is almost all pavement with the exception of an occasional gravel road in and around the back roads of Iowa. My wife rides with me on the 1150R but not the DR. I weigh in at 160 while my wife is around 140. I love the ergonomics of the DR but it feels too small and light for two-up. The 1150R is getting to my knees for any distance. I'm thinking about selling both my current rides and downsizing to a F605GS twin. I think I'm comfortable with the power of the GS but I'm not sure about the brakes and suspension. The accessories that I think I need are a different windscreen, a better seat, vario bags and vario top-box (most used as a backrest), heated grips, centerstand and better fender protection. I like an opinion on the suspension and/or brakes while used 2-up. I know everything will be just fine when I'm riding without a passenger.

My wife has a 2010 F650 twin and on occasion we have ridden two up (with me driving of course). Two up the bike has decent power, but you have to wind it up a bit more. Changing the final gearing a bit (17t counter sprocket to 16t) helps off the line.
The single disk is sufficient but you definately notice the extra effort required when two up. Personally I would prefer twin disks when doing two up.
You will need a btter seat, one or two up.
The stock suspension is OK but I would consider aftermarket if doing two up alot. This is especially true of the front springs which are soft when one up, really almost too soft when two up.

I had the 650 twin for a while and enjoyed it immensely for solo riding. But 2 up it was cramped. There just wasn't enough room (front to back) be be comfortable. I also felt it lacked in power riding 2-up, especially in passing situations on 2 lane roads. My wife and I weigh in about the same as you and your wife, although with substantially different proportions between us. My wife is a lightweight at just over 100#.

I don't know about 2 up. Take a test ride and see. You might consider the F800R as well. I believe it has double discs up front and the engine is not detuned. Not sure if you can turn off ABS, though.

I've got an F650GS and love it. It has essentially the same ergs of the R---RT.
I really like how nice it is to get back to an under 500lb bike both in the parking lot and on the road.

When my R1100Rt got to long of tooth I looked at another RT but decided the R1200RT had gotten just to bulky for me.

i've added the Aeroflow windshield and other bits for good fatigue and weather protection

The decision if 70hp is enough is a personal one. the old R100s were about 65.
Having 90 or 100 spoils us all FWIW the F650GS hp is the same as the F800GS to around 5000 rpm/85mph after that the hotter cam add 15hp...and the need for high test gas.

I've notice a couple of post being concerned about the size...ie length is actually a fraction of an inch longer..yes longer that a R1200GS. I think if you actually measure the seat it it longer too.

Carriying two people of your weight should be no problem but if you have significant luggage too you might want to consider a stiffer spring on the rear shock. this same statement would equally apply to an R1200GS unless you buy the ESA option.

I don't understand the brake comment at all. The F650GS actually stops in a shorter distance than the dual disc F800GS.(see motorcycle consumer news test) With out the ABS it can easily lock the front wheel. Modern Dual disk are eye candy to my nerdy practical mind...unless you are a racer and have brake overheating problems.

I tried the F800ST but it has too much of the sport bike ergs...too much weight on the wrists and my knees were bent back too much.

Take one out for a good long test ride.

have fun

I have a F650GS with 34K miles on it. My wife and I ride two up on it all the time. I also have a K1100LT. Quess which bike my wife likes the best for riding on? The F650GS. There is more leg room for her between the seat and pegs and also more room on the seat. I have a Givi topbox on it that she uses for a backrest. On the K bike she is always bumping into me with her legs and helmet. I never feel her on the F650GS.

We ride most summer weekends with a local sportbike club. Most of the sportbikes are litre bikes with just the rider. We ride two up on the F650 and have no problem keeping up in the twisties. On the straights I don't bother going much over 80 mph. Im not interested in getting arrested. :whistle

As for the suspension, the stock rear shock is actually amazing. I have always needed to upgrade the shock on my other Beemers. The shock on this bike is very good. I don't need to change the dampening for one or two up, I just add 12 turns of preload when riding two up and its good to go. The stock forks on the other hand sucked for me. They were under damped marshmellows and you would get at least 2 bounces from every bump. I added Ricor Intiminators and the difference was amazing. The forks are now controlled over bumps and the dive under braking is very minor.

One of the first things you"ll want to do is throw the stock seat as far away as you can. The riders portion of the seat slopes forward and is awful. I have a Sargent seat on it now. I had a BMW centerstand on it and had to replace it with a SW-Motech centerstand. Remember the Sportbikes we ride with? If you like to corner aggressively the BMW centerstand drags way to early. The SW-Motech is a much nicer looking centerstand that doesn't drag and is cheaper to boot.

I am not real thrilled with the front brake on the bike. Yes it will stop you, but its one of the weaker(its not anywhere near KLR weak) front brakes I have had. I had a F650CS and its front brake was much stronger than the F650GS front brake. I have all the brake power I want from it, but the amount of effort required on the lever is too high. At the end of a day of riding twisties my right forearm is toast. I don't get that riding any of my other bikes.

The power while passing at speeds below 80 is more than enough. Even when riding two up and hauling in the twisties the thing gets from 50-65 MPG. People make a big deal about the F650GS being detuned. Yes it makes 14 hp less than the F800GS but that extra power is all above 7K RPM. I don't spend a lot of time up near redline. On both the F800GS and F800R owners complain of the vibration because the way the motor is tuned you have to rev them higher. The F650GS is tuned for the midrange. I spend most of my time in the 4-6K rpm range. At that lower range there is not annoying vibration like the F800GS and F800R have. Oh and the F650GS runs on regular gas. I have run super in it and the only thing I noticed was that the gas mileage went down. It didn't run any better, so now it just lives on regular.

This F650GS has become both mine and my wifes favorite bike!

I am not real thrilled with the front brake on the bike. Yes it will stop you, but its one of the weaker(its not anywhere near KLR weak) front brakes I have had. I had a F650CS and its front brake was much stronger than the F650GS front brake. I have all the brake power I want from it, but the amount of effort required on the lever is too high. At the end of a day of riding twisties my right forearm is toast. I don't get that riding any of my other bikes.

A bit off topic...I've noticed this comment a couple of times now. I just does not match my experience. I ride fairly aggressively in the twisties and use the front brake most. i often brake hard enough to trigger ABS function on dry pavement. This is all a two finger operation. I would rate my front brakes as amoubg the best of the bikes I've had.

Clearly others are not seeing the same results. Either my bike is exceptional ( i think not) or sometime BMW does not fully bleed, or other wise set up the front brake. Maybe something else. Just an observation FWIW

Clearly others are not seeing the same results. Either my bike is exceptional ( i think not) or sometime BMW does not fully bleed, or other wise set up the front brake. Maybe something else. Just an observation FWIW

I wish I had your front brake then. Wanna trade. :bow I have bled my brakes a couple times when changing the brake fluid. i have also tried EBC HH pads. I was hoping the different pad material would reduce the lever effort. It didn't.

On my bike at least it just feels like the master cylinder is the wrong ratio. I figured that BMW required more effort at the lever so that it wouldn't be as easy to lock the front tire when riding offroad. :dunno

I have to mentally prepare to not hit the front brake on the K bike like I do on the GS. And when riding my Speed Triple its a whole different ball game. That thing has oh my god brakes. Two fingers and you can lock the front tire at will.

You certainly have done all the things I would have thought to try to fix the numb front brake. Disappointing. My F650GS is a 2010....could there be a difference there?

My brakes work just about the same as my old 96 R1100RT...which were pretty good.
Better that my Bonnieville (new version 2008)

F650GS(twin): good only bike

My F650GS has 22,000 miles on it now, and has been on several 700mi. trips with my wife (Passenger), and several by myself. At our age, we prefer B&B to camping, but there is plenty of room and comfort with:
1.) a custom seat fitted to wifey's and my posterior, and
2.) the BMW "Vario" panniers and top/back case
It is good for all day riding, on paved and better-quality gravel roads, and adjusts adequately with spring pre-load for the varying weights. The power is almost perfect: enough to go anywhere, but not so much to be squirrely or gas guzzling.

Some places I go the gas is only regular. It is nice that the F650GS can "drink" that.

It seems to be very sturdy; as new-ish rider with this my 1st bike, it has been down a few times. It just keeps on going, and "tolerates" the learner's 1mph unsteadiness. (Sigh; I hope I'm past that now....)

...It seems to be very sturdy; as new-ish rider with this my 1st bike, it has been down a few times. It just keeps on going, and "tolerates" the learner's 1mph unsteadiness. (Sigh; I hope I'm past that now....)

James,

I guess I'm not a "new-ish" rider any more, but that 1mph unsteadiness has never gone away. You might say I've never met a bike I couldn't drop! :banghead Now it's more a matter of avoiding large crowds when I drop a bike. :rofl

Tell me your height and wight, and the passenger height and weight and I can guess.

People tour on real 650s, 400s and even smaller bikes. The F650 twin is excellent if you fit it. Folks who ride a Triumph 2400 cc bike, or a Goldwing 1800 cc bike or even the BMW 1600 bike have as much bike as they want and a whole lot ore bike than they NEED.

F650 as only bike

Wife and I went to Alaska with R1200R and an F650CS single. Upon return we sold both bikes and each now have an F650 twin as primary ride for solo and 2up trips. We are short and not very heavy (160, me; 115, her). The R1200R was a great ride,but a bit top heavy and unwieldy for me on sloppy stuff. We would end up parking the heavy bike and going 2up on the CS single on logging and mining roads. Those bikes made a half dozen coast to coast rides. We opted for two F650 twins to have matched horsepower and common parts. Both bikes have TourATech cases, top cases, aux lights and a bunch of farkles. Even with all the stuff we carried on the R1200R, now attached to the F650s, fully loaded, solo or 2up, we do not feel we have given anything up.
72 HP and regular gas have proved more than adequate for anywhere we ride in any condition. For us, the shorter 650s are a very good fit and more manageable and agile than heavier bikes. The only negatives are what we have experienced with every stock BMW we have owned; marginal to inadequate charging systems for touring machines and, with our newer machines, the complexities and aggravation of the CANbus systems.

F650GS or maybe go to F8?

I had the F650 for a very short time, as I was coming off of the R12GS (and an R12R)... and I just missed having the power. Two up, for me, it just wasn't available. But, we are a bit heavier than you guys. I have the F800GS now, and am ecstatic. Of all the BMW's I have owned... it is the best.
Good luck with that decision. Don't let the $ keep you from the right choice! (LOL):brad

So far...

With less than a month and under 2,000 miles, I haven't ridden as many miles on this bike as a lot of you, but I have been riding over 37 years and have logged many miles, most of them sport bikes. I enjoy riding my 2012 F650GS Twin a lot! It will not wheelie like my first new bike (79 RD400F), nor is it as smooth as my second new bike (87 FZ700). It also has a lot less power than my friends ZX14 I was riding a few months ago, but I love this bike! It will have a place in our family for a long time. It may become my wife's bike, or we might buy a second one. Having taken a couple of day trips, we have had no issues riding two up. Bikes are different things to each person...and to us, this one ROCKS! :groovy

Love my F650GS twin. When two up I definitely notice a little more difficulty with acceleration and with the suspension but not enough to move to a bigger bike. Wouldn't want to deal with a larger/heavier bike at slow speed navigation which would be the trade off if you move up. Still can beat most cars from a stop and have no problem passing on the highway. I do have to take steep hills a gear lower than when I am alone. I am thinking about adding the Ricor Intiminators to improve the front end response (dives more on braking when two up). I have no problem with the braking response (does take longer than when one up but that is to be expected) but have never owned a bike with two front discs so I might not be the best to advise on that.

FWIW comment on dual disc brake on the F800GS vs the F800GS. The dual disc are eye candy...and more unsprung weight. the single disc on the F650 is more than adequate. The governing factor in stopping distance is the tire traction on the pavement, or worse yet gravel etc. The single disc can lock the front wheel or activate the ABS at any time.

Motor cycle news braking tests actually show that the F650 stops in shorter distance than the F800 dual disc. The wider F650 tire gives better traction.

I arrived home yesterday from a 3000 mile jaunt on my F650 twin from Utah to the West Coast and parts in between. My F650 twin is set up with Rox Risers, Jesse 8" Odyssey bags and small top case. I strapped a small Wolfman duffle to the rear of the seat. I have also added Altrider crash bars, Ricochet skid plate, Madstad adjustable windshield, communications integrator and power for my heated gear. I'm running Heidenau K60's front and rear. Also, a Keiko throttle lock. We rode in wind and rain and, unloaded, on a couple of 100 mile day rides on dirt/gravel roads in California. We were able to ride out to look at some sights on marginal roads as we traveled, but nothing more challenging than some loose dirt.

i-sctqxR2-M.jpg

On the dual sport day rides, the bike handled gravel, loose dirt, stretches of 4-6" deep sand, and a relatively difficult water crossing (with a friend graciously riding it across for me :blush)

i-gjWGb2Q-M.jpg

The most challenging section we rode was a relatively steep climb in the Sierra foothills that was being resurfaced with some sort of soft, gooey black stuff about 3-4" deep. One of my concerns with the bike was accessing the power band. I found that if I used the clutch and wound up the throttle a bit, I could negotiate the switchbacks and the gooey stuff pretty well (didn't hit any road workers or machinery).

i-WrQXKhr-M.jpg

We rode South and did another day ride on rough and dirt roads in the Sierra foothills near Oakhurst, CA. Once again, the little GS performed flawlessly.

We rode back over Senora Pass headed North. The ride included about 120 miles of interstate, but was mostly 2 lane highways. I found that the bigger bikes (1150 and 1200) were able to lose me on the sweepers, but I always caught up with them on the tighter curves.

The day we left Southern Oregon to return home, we rode in rain most of the day. I discovered that my heated gloves and goretex boots are no longer waterproof. It felt like the bike couldn't provide enough juice to keep me warm with my electrics once I was wet (I have not had a similar situation on my RT, so I really can't offer a comparison.)

We rode across the Siskyous and the Cascades through some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. It got cold, down to 36.5 F for about an hour and a half, and I had a hard time staying warm. After we hit Winnemucca, NV, we slabbed it home on I 80. The bike cruised at 75 to 85 mph on the slab. It was windy and there was a lot of truck traffic. Although I got some buffeting, the bike felt stable in the cross winds.

With regard to the brakes, I feel that they do not stop as quickly as the brakes on my '07 RT, but they are adequate. On a quick stop, they feel a little vague, it is hard to describe, but they do stop. I think the vague feeling may be related to the front suspension and nose dive. :scratch

When I first loaded up the bike, I ended up near the highest preload setting and dampening setting to calm the bike down at speed. It felt wobbly until I found the correct suspension setting. I weigh 120 and I guess that my luggage and accessories weigh about 100-130 pounds.

I was riding with my husband on his Yamaha Super Tenere and we usually fueled at about 180 miles. The F650 would take about 3.5 gallons, but the fuel light never came on. The tank is supposed to hold 4.2 gallons.

I will be taking this bike to Alaska this summer.

I hope my impressions are helpful. My recent trip has changed my impressions about my F650GS, so I wanted to share them with you.

Last edited:
Mexico2010077.jpg

I would have no problem whatsoever if my BMW F650GS Twin was my only motorcycle!

Last fall I rode 3K miles from my home in Chandler, Arizona to Guachochi in the Sierra Madre Occidental of Mexico, a thousand of those miles were dirt in Copper Canyon!

100_0244.jpg

Mi moto is named "Salma Hayek" and she can take me anywhere. I love riding Salma! Una muy Bonita Senorita!

son-054-4.jpg

3 years ago Salma took me to Hyder, Alaska and two years ago she took me 5K miles to Real de Catorce and Back in Central Mexico from Phoenix. A Workhorse Machine!

Last edited:
Back