• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine Guards

HUGH

Is it possible to get engine guards for the K75 and the K100? I have noticed some K75 bikes have full fairing and some have just a windshield. Can the engine guards be installed on the full fairing? I am giving serious consideration in buying one of these bikes and would like to know as much about them as possible. I have heard the both bikes are really great but the K75 is one special bike as a general rule.

Yes, the K75 is a great bike (especially the S). There are engine protection bars available for most of them (some require a small fairing mod)---but they are designed to protect the bike from parking lot spills rather than full-on crash situations.

Probably a good idea, regardless, as the K75 is most vulnerable at parking lot speeds.

Once you get on the road the bike will delight you.:wave

A word of caution about engine guards. There are 2 types that fit the early Ks. I had both types on a K100Lt one on each side. One type connects to a bracket that is rubber mounted to the block above the oil pan, the other type mounts directly to the block above the oil pan. In a crash the rubber mounted ones might break loose without breaking the block. The direct mounted type looks like a ruined block waiting to happen. I always wondered about that. After reading about the guy that broke the block on his R1200GS with just a curb bump, I would have taken them off had I still owned the bike. They did protect the bike the one time I dropped it at 0 speed.

The K100 and K1100 use the same crash bars. I believe the the K75 uses a shorter mount, but I may be wrong on that one.

Something to think about.

I have the upper mounting studs and a black right side bar someone can have cheap.

Ralph Sims

Back