• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Endless Roads 2017

Mark H

In 2014 my wife and I traveled to California from Australia for the first time with two motorcycles. The roads in this part of the world offer an unparalleled riding experience, so not surprisingly the adventure continued in 2016 and has now become somewhat of a pilgrimage.

Once again, the bikes are leaving first and we will follow. Over 34 days from late May and through June we will ride a total of 16,000 km (10,000 mi) on a route that embraces some of the best motorcycle roads on offer. Starting in Long Beach (California), we will travel as far east as Denver (Colorado), north to Alberta and British Columbia in Canada, and be bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west. Mostly paved, but with very special sections of off-road riding, we will spend up to 10 hours each day on our bikes as we crisscross nine states and two provinces, with mostly one night stays in 31 different cities and towns.

Map 2017.jpg

We will minimise the risks whilst maximizing the thrills, rely on our riding skills and sheer determination to empower us, and we will take on every day as a new adventure. With an almost obsessive attraction to the Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada, we will chase each other along their twisting black ribbons and once or twice look down at the world through our visors from more than 14,000 feet. In contrast, we will also cruise across the vast open plains and occasionally get dirty on forest roads and canyon trails. Prepared for whatever may come, we will experience the heat of the desert, late seasonal snow in the high country, and rain will no doubt find us on occasion.

We each have a 2015 model BMW R1200GS; identical apart from Ros’ slightly lower suspension and my tinted screen. They are powerful, fast, agile and exhilarating machines with a chameleon like nature that is perfect for this type of adventure. They will wear their Australian registration plates and we hope to once again embrace and be embraced by a motorcycling community who call this amazing corner of the world home.

If anyone is interested, we will be sharing our adventure via a dedicated Facebook link. facebook.com/endlessroads2017
Please feel free to post comments etc.

We touch down in LA on the 19th May and head off on two wheels on Sunday 21st. It's difficult to convey just how excited we are just two weeks out, but I suspect most of you probably know how we are feeling.

Let the adventure begin. :)

Bikes touch down in LA

Just 3 days after they were collected from our local dealership in Sydney, the girls have touched down in LA and are on route to Long Beach BMW Motorcycles where they will be prepared for the adventure ahead.
I can't speak highly enough for the amazing service and support that the teams here and in the US have provided to make our dream possible.

Thanks to everyone involved and particularly to Charles and the workshop crew at Long Beach BMW.

image001.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to more about this adventure!

Thanks for bringing us along!

Voni
sMiling

We each have a 2015 model BMW R1200GS; identical apart from Ros’ slightly lower suspension and my tinted screen. They are powerful, fast, agile and exhilarating machines with a chameleon like nature that is perfect for this type of adventure.

I have a 2015 R1200GS and agree with your characterization of the bike. I love my GS.

Have a safe, enjoyable trip. I plan on escaping the confines of my house and exploring Colorado, Utah, and parts of Wyoming and possibly beyond in July on my way to and from the BMW MOA rally in Salt Lake City. Medical issues have frustrated my travel plans last season and the early part of this season, but I should be able to get free in July.

Harry

Harry - I hope you are back to your best soon and can enjoy the riding season ahead. The rally sounds like a lot of fun and a great excuse to explore the roads along the way to and from.
Salt Lake City is one destination we have not been able to include in our travels so far. Some of the roads to the east (190 and 65 in particular) look like great motorcycling territory.

Back