• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Electrochemical cleaning of stainless steel welds

AjaxTheDog

Not sure where a post like this belongs, so this is just a best guess for passing along some knowledge.

I bought a stainless-steel header for a car restoration project I was working on. The welds were unfortunately all tinged yellow from the heat generated when they were welded. I researched several methods of cleaning this off and arrived at a process which works quite well, and does not harm the rust resistance properties of SS like some other methods.

Using a 6V 6amp battery charger I attached the positive side to the work piece. I bought a stainless fender washer and made a crude “mop” using some cotton string, then attached that to the negative electrode. I dipped the mop in some dilute phosphoric acid (rust converter) and then touched the mop to the welded discolored area. After a few seconds the yellow discolor dissipated and I wiped it away with a paper towel.

I’m sure the header will discolor from heat over time, but at least it will start out all shiny and pretty! Here's before and after shots.
Before.JPGAfter.JPG

Oh and I added a final step, wash the piece or swab with a dissolved baking soda solution to neutralize any acid left behind on the metal.

Back