• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Easy Creme Brulee Recipe

rkasal

Unavailable for comment
It was my turn to cook for the family a couple of weeks ago. On the menu was a recipe for chicken from the country of Georgia. It uses lots of different herbs and spices and does take some advanced knowledge of cooking in particular making a roux.

Besides a fresh salad with julienne vegetable and homemade rasberry vinnegerate (sp?), I made this easy creme brulee recipe from the Internet. It really is easy!

I'll explain how to separate the yolks from the whites. No yolking, it really is easy!

And I hope there are no vegans who may be offended by the use of fetal chickens.

So, let's begin!

Here are the ingredients. Sometimes, in cooking, doubling a recipe does not equal double the results. In this case, if you need two or three times the results, you can increase the ingredients appropriately.

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup or so of light brown sugar.

First, how to separate the yolks from the whites:

When cracking an egg (and you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs), always crack the egg on a flat surface. Don't use the edge of something. Just try it each way and you'll see why.

Once you get good, like me, you can crack an egg one-handed. Well, actually anyone can crack an egg one-handed but to not make a mess takes skill.

Crack the egg with a sharp rap once on a flat surface. You should have a good crack that goes most if not all the way around the egg. Each half of the egg in each hand. Slightly open the cracked egg. Let the white drain out. You'll have some of the white left so carefully transfer the yolk to the other 1/2 of the shell. More white will come out. It should take about two or three times to get all of the white separated from the yolk. I like to reserve the white for other things - you can make merengue (sp?) or a white omelet.

Ok, here's the cooking part.

Again, my apologies if I have offended any vegans in the making of this recipe.

And a short note: Creme Brulee means "Burnt Creme" in French. The English have a similar desert.

An additional apology. Even though the creme is burnt and the yolks are whipped, I hope this hasn't offended anyone.

So.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees farenheit. Whisk the cream, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract (although I like to finely chop up part of a vanilla bean - a little goes a long way) together in a bowl. Mix it all up until it gets nice and creamy.

Pour this mixture into ramekins (those little ceramic dishes).

Place the ramekins in a baking pan. Fill the baking pan with hot water, about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place the pan with the ramekins in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour or so (it took 75 minutes to be cone). After 45 minutes or so check them every ten minutes. You'll know they're done when you can stick a knife in one and it comes out clean. Remove the ramekins from the baking pan, set them on the counter, and let them cool for 15 minutes or so.

Then put them in the refrigerator and let them chill overnight.

Sprinkle a thin layer of the light brown sugar (I used white sugar) on the top of each. Make sure it's a THIN layer, but also make sure it completely covers the custard. Now torch it! Or, if you don't have a torch (a torch is the only way to go), you can put them under the broiler for a minute or so. I haven't tried this. The intent is to caramelize (melt and let harden) the sugar. i.e., "Burnt Creme!"

It's just that simple and it will be a hit for all your guests. Everyone will ooh and ahh when you torch the sugar.

Good luck!

Next week, my recipe for Georgian Chicken and all of the required cooking techniques.

this is definitely "positive" campfire material, maybe it's time we had a recipe thread!

I wonder if the MAPP-torch out in the garage would be overkill?

Can't wait to see that chicken recipe!

Just don't torch it too long with MAPP gas.....DAMHIK :bluduh :laugh

Back