• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dumbass Question of the Day - K1200S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
The factory recommends 180ml of 75W-90 hypoid for the final drive. I happen to have 200ml of 80W-90. Will the Gear Tooth Dogs Of Death descend upon me if I use the 80W-90? I don't ride the bike in temps under 10C (50F) so its not like the stuff will be molasses when I first start off in the morning.

Your input and smartass comments are equally solicited and welcomed.

The factory recommends 180ml of 75W-90 hypoid for the final drive. I happen to have 200ml of 80W-90. Will the Gear Tooth Dogs Of Death descend upon me if I use the 80W-90? I don't ride the bike in temps under 10C (50F) so its not like the stuff will be molasses when I first start off in the morning.

Your input and smartass comments are equally solicited and welcomed.

Insufficient data for analysis. What kind of gear lube (Dino, synth, or ?) and can you be sure it meets the SAF-XO standard that BMW specifies? These are important questions to ponder, given that the extreme cost of a liter of correct factory-specified gear lube has been known to lead to bankruptcy! Most likely, the Gear Tooth Dogs of Death will not get a chance to play—they will be pre-empted by the Oil Seal Snakes of Doom.

:stick

:)

Best,
DG

Insufficient data for analysis....the extreme cost of a liter of correct factory-specified gear lube has been known to lead to bankruptcy!

Alright, alright....its Belray Hypoid Gear Lube - API GL-5 rating. Used to good effect in my R1100S. And I KNEW someone (GTRider in this case) would comment about just ponying up and buying a liter of the proper-spec lube. :laugh

Its just that I've now sold the 1100 and this leftover 200ml of 80W-90 stuff will go to waste. I know, I'll advertise it in Marketplace. :D

But more to the point, thanks for the info :thumb. I'll do the right thing and buy a liter of the synthetic 75W-90.

Last edited:
I don't consider that a dumbass question
You need to try harder next time :)

I all likelihood it would do just fine, but the cost of a bottle of the correct lube is minimal so just get it and be done.

The thing about the lube is most of the hype and such is ill informed. The most common point of failure on these final drives is the large bearing and it is not lubricated by the oil. The oil lubes the gears, the small outer bearing and the pinion bearings. The large bearing is sealed and is outside the main oil seal of the unit so it is in no way is affected or protected by whatever lube is used. It relies solely on the original lube it was given when it was made.

It'll be fine. Bel-Ray hypoid is good stuff.
And as far as I know (which may not be very far), ALL hypoid is synthetic anyway.

Hypoid is not a type of lubricant, it is a type of gear set and hypoid lube is oil that is designed to work with them. It can be conventional or synthetic based.

Hypoid gear are characterized by a ring gear with a pinon gear that intersects not on the centerline of the ring gear. It is used in auto differentials as it allows the drive shaft to be lower than the center line of the axle which allows for a flatter floor pan. The nature of hypoid gears causes a wiping effect as the gears mesh and that has a tendency to shear the oil molecules. Hypoid oils have extreme pressure shear stabilizer additives, (usually sulfur based which accounts for the strong odor) to resist that. The gears in the BMW final drives are not actually hypoid gears as the pinion intersects at the center line of the ring gear. Still, hypoid oils remain the best choice for lube due to other qualities such as viscosity.

Hypoid is not a type of lubricant, it is a type of gear set and hypoid lube is oil that is designed to work with them. It can be conventional or synthetic based.

Hypoid gear are characterized by a ring gear with a pinon gear that intersects not on the centerline of the ring gear. It is used in auto differentials as it allows the drive shaft to be lower than the center line of the axle which allows for a flatter floor pan. The nature of hypoid gears causes a wiping effect as the gears mesh and that has a tendency to shear the oil molecules. Hypoid oils have extreme pressure shear stabilizer additives, (usually sulfur based which accounts for the strong odor) to resist that. The gears in the BMW final drives are not actually hypoid gears as the pinion intersects at the center line of the ring gear. Still, hypoid oils remain the best choice for lube due to other qualities such as viscosity.

OK, this qualifies as the "new thing I learned today". :thumb

Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated. And Lee, next time, I WILL try harder. :laugh

Reason to Read This Forum!

Brilliant! Normally you'd have to pay to learn this stuff; either in real $$ or by the hard experience of equipment failure..... Thank you. Mark

Back