• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Duff charging system – is there an inline fuse?

maurice

Hope this information is useful to some.

I’m guilty of installing the battery with the wrong polarity on my 2014 GSA. Don’t ask!

When I corrected my error the bike started perfectly, everything functioned but after about 15 seconds I got the red triangle and the battery icon, which indicates the bike is not charging.

Initially I thought I toasted the output regulator but I tested the diodes and all was well within spec. Then I tested the stator and it was also well within spec. You only need a multi-meter with a diode feature to run theses tests which are avail on Youtube.

Diode test : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q87JmhE5LVk
Stator test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-GZlV9v8g

Next using my multi-meter and crocodile clips I disconnected the batter lead socket off the output regulator. The red wire (next to the 3 yellow stator wires) is the positive. Carefully connect the crocodile clips to the output regulator pints and the multi-meter, set to 20 volts. Start the bike and you should see up to 15.5 volts, even if you rev the bike.

Next I disconnected the multi-meter and connected the crocodile directly to the battery and started the bike. The bike showed no errors. Please note do not run the bike for too long as the crocodile clip wires are not heavy duty and can burn out.

Now I know for certain the problem is between the wiring from the output regulator to the battery. As this is a heavy wire I know it is unlikely to run through any relays or modules.

Next I checked the in-line 50Amp fuse located on top, right hand side, of the ECU unit located under the driver’s seat. The fuse was found defective and replaced. The problem solved.

I do hope this helps some. Any questions, happy to answer, email me at Maurice999@live.com

20180216_130535.jpg
20180212_153317.jpg

Attachments

• 20180212_153418.jpg
    20180212_153418.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
According to my Haynes manual, there are two fuses to check (F1 -- 10amp, F2 -- 7.5 amp). These are probably blade fuses in the fuse box, but I have an RT, not a GS, and can't check any further for you.

Good luck! (BTW, the Haynes manual has several pages wiring diagrams for your bikes many circuits, but all diagrams kept coming back to F1 & F2 fuses protecting the battery).

Thanks for that info.

Yes I was aware of those fuses but not the electrical diagrams in your manual.

My problem is more local to the charging system itself. If my reg / stator are fine then the problem should be in wiring somewhere.

I ordered a DVD manual and am watching the postman!

Regards,

Maurice

Yes I was aware of those fuses but not the electrical diagrams in your manual.

My problem is more local to the charging system itself. If my reg / stator are fine then the problem should be in wiring somewhere.

I ordered a DVD manual and am watching the postman!

Regards,

Maurice

If you have access to a GS-911 I think you'll find your answer.

Jay

A GS 911 might be useful but this is a self-inflicted fault, what I really need is a good electrical diagram. Ordered a DVD and waiting for it.

While waiting I have being using logic. To proof the charging system I connected a volt meter directly to the output regulator, started the engine and it shows that the charging system is functioning perfectly.

But when I reinstall the battery (positive & negative) connector back onto the regulator and place the volt meter directly onto the battery and start the engine there is no charge showing.

Obviously, a fault lies between the negative & positive leads from the regulator to the battery.

As the wiring is so compact and in looms I could surely use a wiring diagram for guidance.

A GS 911 might be useful but this is a self-inflicted fault, what I really need is a good electrical diagram. Ordered a DVD and waiting for it.

While waiting I have being using logic. To proof the charging system I connected a volt meter directly to the output regulator, started the engine and it shows that the charging system is functioning perfectly.

But when I reinstall the battery (positive & negative) connector back onto the regulator and place the volt meter directly onto the battery and start the engine there is no charge showing.

Obviously, a fault lies between the negative & positive leads from the regulator to the battery.

As the wiring is so compact and in looms I could surely use a wiring diagram for guidance.

I believe a GS911 should tell you where the fault is making it easy to fix. Haynes manual has wiring diagrams https://haynes.com/en-us/bmw/r1200rt/2014-2016 and you can get it on-line now

Jay

FWIW- a fully charged battery may not show much (need) of a charge. Sometimes there isn’t much of a charge at close to idle speed. A battery with a “float” charge that reads good may not read well under load.
OM

Back