• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual Sport R80??

Royalbeemer

Royalbeemer
I have a 1986 R80 "S" (was RT) that I'm planning to take on some trips this coming season where there will be some regularly traveled dirt roads. I'm looking at installing dual sport tires, although I've found rear 18 inch ( 120/80S18 AM44 Distanza/120/90S18 Conti TKC/120/90/18 D606 Dunlop) I don't seem to find a fit for the front which is also 18 inch in a dual sport.
Am I missing something or don't they make a front dual sport in 18 inches??? IF so is it advisable to mix say sport touring on front with one dual sport tires of the above???

Note: I've posted this on the Airlist and got suggestions to use a rear tire on the front, need to reverse rotation?? Anybody tried this?? Good or bad idea???

regards
Jim
Airhead member
MOA
BMW Club quebec

HAve you checked out Kenda tires ? I think that the dual sport K761 might come in a size you can use - or perhaps some other model.
I know some R65 riders use them on their bikes and they also have an 18" front wheel.

Hijack

Really? Dual-sport tires on a stock airhead?
I was just wondering about this the other day when I was out riding my 1980 R100T on one of my favorite gravel roads and I came upon a 'Bridge Out' sign. The bridge was actually in but not suitable for farm machinery and cars any longer. It was barricaded by a melting mound of packed snow and then was when I wondered that if I had dual-sport tires instead of these not-new Metzlers if I could navigate over the snow mound past the barricade and continue on. Then I would be able to go faster than 45 mph on loose gravel, too. What new horizons would this open up to me?
So, this is done? Does this compromise road handling? Substantially? Swing arm clearance issues on dual shock bikes? Advice? Could I ride the TWAT with a big grin?

I've thought about this as well. I found a 19" trials tire for my r90/6, but that was overboard. I would have had to lose the fender.

If anyone else has any experience with this, I'd like to know.

FWIW I would not reverse rotation an any tire simply because the way the coring is layed up inside the tire. Try SWMototire.com to see if the may have something usefull for you. If you have more issues, Woody's wheelworks in CO http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/ , builds wheels for DS bikes and could be a source of info for you too.
Post some pics riding that bike off road!!:lurk

Back