• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do you want the new R1300 water cooled engine boxer?

Today I purchased a windows laptop then downloaded and installed the software for both the GS-911 and HEX ezcan. The topbox, panniers and locks are at the dealers.
Chomping at the bit, despite the fact that it’s 6-8 weeks until I can ride.

The 1300GS looks nice (well maybe except for the X-headlight, which I am sure with grow on me) and it is an amazing bike. But for ME there is nothing there that would make me swap out my pristine 2018 R1200GS that I still love. With only 24k miles it is like new.

I may take a hard look at the 1300RT when it's out as my 2016 RT has 53K miles but honestly I still love my RT as well and so far there are no features I feel I MUST have. Actually the opposite ... I like my REAL GPS and not a fan of using the phone app. for my navigation.

If I were in the market for a new bike sure I would look hard at the 1300GS. But I have never been one that needs to have the latest new model just to have one. I find it takes me a year or so to get my bikes all dialed in just the way I want them and once done I tend to keep them around for about 6-8 years or more :)

If I were interested in an R1300 I'd wait a couple years. I'm too old, cheap, and smart to be a beta tester for BMW. And we aren't even out of the chute with the R1300 before BMW announces that the driveshaft should be replaced at 50,000 miles. On the owner's dime.

If I were interested in an R1300 I'd wait a couple years. I'm too old, cheap, and smart to be a beta tester for BMW. And we aren't even out of the chute with the R1300 before BMW announces that the driveshaft should be replaced at 50,000 miles. On the owner's dime.
Would you happen to have a link to that driveshaft info?
OM

I initially wasn't interested in the 1300. But after seeing review after review it sits lower than a 1250, seems lighter than the 1250 [ if it is I have no idea ] I still don't think I'd buy one. But those non squared panniers/bags are growing on me.

The good news for current BMW owners is the shaft replacement will be free at 36K miles. So we get a free shaft and it seems 1300 owner just get "the safe" :giggle:

One more reason to keep my 2016 and 2018 bikes.

Oh .... and the new 1300 oil change process is slightly more of a PIA with 2 drain plugs and a cartridge filter in place of the spin on. Not a big deal just messy for sure.

Is this official now for all BMW models with driveshafts?
According to the service bulletin I saw posted it is. I’m headed to my dealer on Tuesday to make the appointment for my 2016 RT with 52k and will get clarification then

Reactions: lee
According to the service bulletin I saw posted it is. I’m headed to my dealer on Tuesday to make the appointment for my 2016 RT with 52k and will get clarification then
I saw the attached bulletin but have not heard if it applies to the US.
Hopefully you get a answer from your dealer.

Attachments

• Driveshaft service bulletin.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Is this official now for all BMW models with driveshafts?
From what I've heard, this applies to the R1200 LC and R1250 LC models only, and applies to all trims (R, RS, RT, GS, GSA). This does not apply to older models (Hex & Camhead, etc.). With regards to the new R1300, the shaft replacement schedule is about 48,000-50,000 miles and at the cost of the owner. If I'm incorrect, then please correct me.

Could this driveshaft cost be around a Grand at the dealership?
Could this mean there will be some clean 40K trade-ins on the horizon? :deal
OM

Could this driveshaft cost be around a Grand at the dealership?
Could this mean there will be some clean 40K trade-ins on the horizon? :deal
OM
That's a nice thought. I'd have a Ted Porter thrown in it like I did my 11RT. It can be rebuilt and costs less money. A 1300 that's in need of a new shaft for a discounted price [ as everyone looking at them will know it's got to be replaced ]. I certainly wouldn't put a new oem in it at more money and not capable of being rebuilt

From what I've heard, this applies to the R1200 LC and R1250 LC models only, and applies to all trims (R, RS, RT, GS, GSA). This does not apply to older models (Hex & Camhead, etc.). With regards to the new R1300, the shaft replacement schedule is about 48,000-50,000 miles and at the cost of the owner. If I'm incorrect, then please correct me.
That exactly what I understand too.

And BMW has lowered the price of the drive shaft part to $225. That’s for the part so plus labor. That I did confirm at my dealer

BMW North America issued a Service Information Bulletin in December 2023. BMW has changed the maintenance schedule for all K5X bikes, i.e., wethead boxers (GS/GSA/RT/R/RS). Every 20,000 km (of driveshaft use), the driveshaft is to be tested, and the splines regreased. At 60,000 km, the driveshaft is to be replaced. One would also presume that some drievshafts may fail the test well before they've accumulated 60,000 km of use. If they fail the test, they will be replaced. The Service Bulletin says that this work is covered by warranty. This follows on from the earlier - and still ongoing - service campaign where driveshafts on wethead GSs/GSAs/RT-Ps were tested/replaced. This Service Bulletin has been posted online in a number of forums.

Beginning with model year 2024 bikes, the owners manuals contain these new maintenance requirements, so these periodic driveshaft tests/regreasing of the splines and driveshaft replacement, are at the owner's expense. However, unlike K5X models up to and including model year 2023, the driveshaft replacement interval is 80,000 km (and not 60,000 km).

Last edited:
BMW North America issued a Service Information Bulletin in December 2023. BMW has changed the maintenance schedule for all K5X bikes, i.e., wethead boxers (GS/GSA/RT/R/RS). Every 20,000 km (of driveshaft use), the driveshaft is to be tested, and the splines regreased. At 60,000 km, the driveshaft is to be replaced. One would also presume that some drievshafts may well fail the test well before they've accumulated 60,000 km of use. If they fail the test, they will be replaced. The Service Bulletin says that this work is covered by warranty. This follows on from the earlier - and still ongoing - service campaign where driveshafts on wethead GSs/GSAs/RT-Ps were tested/replaced. This Service Bulletin has been posted online in a number of forums.

Beginning with model year 2024 bikes, the owners manuals contain these new maintenance requirements, so these periodic driveshaft tests/regreasing of the splines and driveshaft replacement, are at the owner's expense. However, unlike K5X models up to and including model year 2023, the driveshaft replacement interval is 80,000 km (and not 60,000 km).
This is very interesting. For many years BMW has not listed certain needed maintenance in its maintenance schedules.. Clutch and driveshaft spline lubrication of classic K bikes and Oilheads is a good example. So every time one of the moto-magazines decided to cost out and publish comparisons of "routine maintenance costs" for the first 50,000 or 100,000 miles of various brands and models the costs for this needed maintenance was omitted. This of course made BMW look better when compared to competing brands. Now at least the cost and needed maintenance is disclosed publicly and in advance.

Last edited:
Back