• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Day 4, Can't ask for more

I left Traverse City with a wet tent and a damp me. After traveling for a while, I began to wonder about the wisdom of my gps. At breakfast, I had an 'aha' moment. I had set the gps to avoid tolls, so, of course, it was not going to take me to the Mackinac Bridge. Once I changed that, I was on my way. I avoided the interstate until about 30 miles south of the bridge. Trafiic was slow due to a lane closure, the paved lane. I enjoyed the crossing on the grate. Have your $4 ready and stop in to the visitor center. Great maps and guides. I left there and followed the coast until turning north to Grand Malais. It was 52 degrees at Lake Superior. Back in town, I followed the signs for Pictured Rocks and Munising. It was a great road with nice curves before it turned into the straightest road in Michigan. I'm now at the Tourist Park in Marquette. It has great sites, all grass, and only a 2.4 mile walk to The Vierling Restaurant. It's a brew pub with a fine imperial ipa. Walk, don't ride. I've finally met a couple of fellow travelers, Don, from Traverse City, and Ross(I think) who'll be showing off his new knee at the recharging site. Safe travels, all, and please add your experiences to the thread.

Billings......

Just got to Billings today with 3 days before it's go time. Let's see Chief Joseph, Beartooth Pass, 14 & 14A just to name a few. Then there's Yellowstone, Red Lodge and Cody. Oh yeah there's also The Red Lodge Rally this weekend.

What's a guy to do? Oh and did I mention the weather forecast looks awesome for the next 3 days. In fact it looks good all next week to!

Ride Safe and CYA when you get here,
P

I'm 275 miles away in Medora, ND. I'll be heading up to Glacier though, and after a few days ther, make my way back to Billings. I've been incredibly lucky with the weather so far.

...the Mackinac Bridge.... I enjoyed the crossing on the grate...

Yikes!!!

Last year I went up through the hand of Michigan and crossed the beeg bridge. (This was enroute to the MOA National in St Paul via the north shore of Lake Superior.) Happily for me the lane closed was the grate lane (not great at all but dang terrifying on a motorcycle in the wet and windy conditions). It was enough to ride across on the paved lane. I'm glad you made it across safely - [Where are the pictures? Didn't they tell you the rules? Photos must accompany a compelling ride report - post 'em if you got 'em.]

Beeg bridge photo attached taken evening before crossing last year...

Attachments

• mac_bridge.jpg
    mac_bridge.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 108
It's a must do for anybody with a fear of heights..........Look forward, just keep looking forward........

I like looking at that bridge, but hate riding across it. The guardrail looks like the perfect height to save the bike but send the rider over the edge. The last time we crossed it my wife took the lead and she told me to only look at the back of her bike. That seemed to work.

Here's a view from a boat showing the grated lanes.
P1000275.JPG

Last edited:
I hope you are all calling that bridge the Mackinaw bridge.
Anyway, bridges and tunnels and boats with motorcycles on them are the most fun.
dc

Thanks for the daily reports Doug.

You're welcome. My post count will show that I'm not a prolific poster. My intent on these daily ride threads was to encourage other members to share their experiences on the coinciding day of their ride, not just a post of my ride. Please hijack my threads.
Doug

Back