• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Data mining from social media and smartphones

Europe has a process to have Google wipe clean people's web search history upon request. The policy can be read about HERE. Would be good to have such an option here as well.
Although it would be nice to be able to have your web search history wiped, the European law referred in that article isn't about that.
It's the right to be forgotten for let's say, past indiscretions and past event in your life that aren't general public knowledge or relevant to what you have become.
i.e. You ran naked through a soccer field, on a dare, during a game, twenty years ago. Any time someone does a search on your name, your pics, buck naked, come up. This isn't really useful when applying for a job. LOL
Google and others must delete links in their search engines to said indiscretions but the articles will still remain out there.

Your search history, is not public but is owned by your ISP, your search engine provider, your (not so) friendly facebook, etc. This is why search engines and social medias are free. GPS functions are added to cells and to use those nice to have features, you must enable it and allow those apps to use them. You are in fact the product they sell. Did you read the EULA before you used google, FB? Thought so.

If you want to preserve (some of) your anonymity, make it harder for them to follow you, use the tools others have suggested, wipe your browser history and cache, change your IP, use a VPN, disable GPS localisation and history, etc. And don't post anything that can identify you or be used to impersonate you. If you share on FB, only share with your friends and don't allow friends to share it further.

PALANTIR HAS SECRETLY BEEN USING NEW ORLEANS TO TEST ITS PREDICTIVE POLICING TECHNOLOGY

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/17054740/palantir-predictive-policing-tool-new-orleans-nopd

And here we thought that Tom Cruise movie about the “pre-crime” unit was just fantasy. Oh well, I’ll just make it easy for them by predicting that sometime in the next 12 months I will grossly exceed the speed limit on remote stretches of Nevada highways, pass on double yellows when following trucks or motor homes that are struggling to maintain the limit, and split lanes like crazy. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Best,
DG

And here we thought that Tom Cruise movie about the “pre-crime” unit was just fantasy. Oh well, I’ll just make it easy for them by predicting that sometime in the next 12 months I will grossly exceed the speed limit on remote stretches of Nevada highways, pass on double yellows when following trucks or motor homes that are struggling to maintain the limit, and split lanes like crazy. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Best,
DG

Your performance award is already in the mail.

Cambridge Analytica cozies up to FaceBook.......50 million FB users "drop trow"......FB says-

1g8um6.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/facebook-cambridge-analytica-explained.html

:eek :eek

om

Unfortunately, this is not the first time Facebook gave a political consulting organization access to their data files on all Facebook members. Happened in 2015 as well. If you are a Facebook member these firms and the politicians who pay them have access to every bit of information (friends, interests, etc.) that Facebook has on you.

Facebook

Oh God ! I am not on Facebook so I must be on the Nixon's Enemies List! You say Dick is gone, the list is not

View attachment 67079

Mom and Dad said nothing free is really free.
What a clusterxxxx

Agreed, but if there is one thing I learned during that part of my work life where I was in business and sales, there is no more powerful drug than the word “FREE”. As yet, there is no commonly deployable antidote or countermeasure. :(

Best,
DG

What Cambridge Analytica did was use Facebook data generated by an APP people signed up for to compile profiles of peoples attitudes: and then use targeted false information to gullible people to convince them of stuff they were predisposed to believe. I blame the gullible people. Too dumb to know they were being duped.

What Cambridge Analytica did was use Facebook data generated by an APP people signed up for to compile profiles of peoples attitudes: and then use targeted false information to gullible people to convince them of stuff they were predisposed to believe. I blame the gullible people. Too dumb to know they were being duped.

And if you are friends with these people, Facebook’s tentacles are having a peek at you as well......”friend”.
om

I'm not your friend, buddy......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng

Anyway I just cancelled my FB account after having deleted 90% of all the post and comment made over the years. It took a while but I feel so much better now.:dance
I refuse to support a company that contributes nothing and causes the stock market to drop and influence my 401K.....:bluduh

Last edited:
Back