• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Darwin Award in the ATX

So, what would you expect a 28-yr old to do with a $1~200K, 500+ horsepower car.

I would expect him to dip into the trust fund and buy another one. Then I would expect the hapless synchophants to gather around once again to play with the rich boy's daddy's money.

The guy is such a failure that despite his best effort he failed to qualify for an official Darwin award. Perhaps he will be successful next time......

I would expect him to dip into the trust fund and buy another one. Then I would expect the hapless synchophants to gather around once again to play with the rich boy's daddy's money.

Ahhh.....the Gilded Age. Inheritance, the proper way to make money.

How so? If the guy/victims end up as a vegetables on disability and Medicaid, then yes. We do pay and therefor some advocate helmet & seat belt laws.

But, relative to auto insurance and liability insurance price impacts, that would be limited to the age group and type/model of car. So, what would you expect a 28-yr old to do with a $1~200K, 500+ horsepower car.

If you genuinely believe that we older drivers don't pay for the sins of the youngish, then I have a bridge for sale for you. And just because the passengers didn't get kept in hospital, you can bet after they speak to an attorney, they'll come up with all sorts of lingering chronic ailments directly related to the crash.

Whenever there's a big payout, insurance companies increase everyone. When Hurricane Sandy devastated the Jersey shore, everyone received a 15% insurance increase whether you had made a claim or not.

, everyone received a 15% insurance increase whether you had made a claim or not.

Because, it was clearly demonstrated that your homes are in a flood/storm zone. Same thing happened in most river towns.....the federal government was cutting costs by removing the subsidy to the federal flood insurance program. If you want to own a home in a flood/storm zone.......the government is thru subsidizing that choice.

I seem to remember auto insurance carriers making their major age-related price break at 25yrs age, so this driver is in the adult pool already.
DG

Because, it was clearly demonstrated that your homes are in a flood/storm zone. Same thing happened in most river towns.....the federal government was cutting costs by removing the subsidy to the federal flood insurance program. If you want to own a home in a flood/storm zone.......the government is thru subsidizing that choice.

Nope. Not so. Nothing to do with flood zones or government subsidies. I'm referring to plain old homeowners insurance, not flood insurance. Everyone received a 15% increase in homeowners insurance.

The National Flood Insurance Program is still alive and well. Uninsured (no flood ins) who meet certain income conditions (low) and live in a flood zone are eligible for assistance in paying for some of the costs of their flood damage from FEMA. In accepting the assistance the owner agrees to maintain flood insurance on the dwelling and FEMA will pay for the first three years of insurance. The flood insurance in this case is pretty minimal. It pays out up to the maximum amount that FEMA would provide in assistance under the Individuals and Household Program ($22,500 for the most recent hurricane damage on the east coast). If the owner or future owner does not maintain flood insurance and then gets flood damage, then FEMA is unlikely to provide any assistance to cover flood damage. There are some areas, eg. Coastal Barrier areas, where flood insurance is unavailable and any FEMA assistance will be contingent on building outside the zone.

Whenever there's a big payout, insurance companies increase everyone. When Hurricane Sandy devastated the Jersey shore, everyone received a 15% insurance increase whether you had made a claim or not.

In Iowa we received a big increase in home owners insurance after Katrina.

I'm in PA outside of any flood zones. In our river towns, flood insurance did rise.

I was only, as previously stated, speaking about what happened in NJ, and not about flood insurance, but general homeowner's insurance. Insurance companies are allowed rate increases by the state in which they do business, and ask for such increase. You, in PA, were not sufficiently affected by the hurricane for insurance companies to pay out and then ask to be allowed a rate increase.

On a similar rant, I find it ridiculous that insurance companies collect all this money year after year promising to cover losses, and then when they DO have a large payout, scream to the state government that they had to pay out these claims that they promised to cover, and the state then allows a substantial rate increase. How about they go back and bill their stock holders for some of the dividends they paid them all those good years they had?

Back