• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cylinder head swap?

gch71

Smoooooth at 430
Hello all, I've just acquired a 73' 75/5 that's been immobile since 1984...cylinder head has broken seized spark plug in it since 1984... I've got /6 cylinder heads...is it possible to do a simple swap, a plug and play deal? I've even got the /6 rocker arms with needle bearings. Is there any valve/piston clearance I've got to worry about? Thanks guys/gals...

Hello all, I've just acquired a 73' 75/5 that's been immobile since 1984...cylinder head has broken seized spark plug in it since 1984... I've got /6 cylinder heads...is it possible to do a simple swap, a plug and play deal? I've even got the /6 rocker arms with needle bearings. Is there any valve/piston clearance I've got to worry about? Thanks guys/gals...

You're not saying what size /6 engine the replacement heads are from.
If from a R60 or R75 you should have no problems.
If from a R90 you might have a problem with the larger valves wanting to nick the pistons.

I do apologize, the cylinder heads are all off of 750cc engines, just swapping the /5(messed up head) with a /6 head, and it will be both L/R sides for conformity. Right now i just want to get the bike running, once I have it up and running I'll dump some more $$$$$ into it. I had a spare set of heads laying around for a future project so it was an easy choice. The bike has been sitting since '84, fuel tank needs some serious help, carbs were completely solidified inside, the cylinders were ok, I just ran a hone through them, new rings and then cleaned up the heads, came out really nice....except the spark plug(what's left of it) was seized into the head, no amount of mouse milk, or other magic liquid helped not even heat. I'll just send them off later for overhaul. I have a spare fuel tank so I'll swap that for now. Thank you guys I appreciate the help... Now I have three airheads....why do I keep feeding my addiction?

Back