• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cyber Monday 12 Issue Subscription Motorcycle Consumer News $5

...couple big looming vacancies with two contributors stepping away. Wish them the best and I'll enjoy it for the next 12 issues.

Mark

Let's hope Mark, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it another year? I'll miss Dave Searle's take on motorcycles and I always looked forward to Dr Alevizos' Medical Motorcycling column and both are signing off. This February issue is only 32 pages compared to two old issues I have laying here that are both 48 pages, that's 1/3 less content. We'll see what the next issues brings.

Before folding, I'd think they'd consider taking on ads. Soliciting ads should be doable given they're a well established and I assume, subscribed to publication. With two editions for my $5.00, I'm already ahead of the game.

Magazines' substance drops and issues fewer as ads increase.

No wonder a one-year script was only $5.00. Just received March issue, another 32 pages with a lot of old stock question and answers. Most notable missing item was an evaluation of any current motorcycle. None, not one currently available bike put through their somewhat useful evaluation. Not much substance for what they say is a leading edge rag. However they aren't alone. Received Motorcyclist mailing today...renew for $7.00 for one year "12 issues", only $12.00 for two years "24 issues". BUT reading the small print, two issues are double issues, so you actual get just 10 mailings a year. I think someone earlier mentioned Motorcyclist's January issue was marked Jan/Feb.

Of course, the recent ON edition had approximately 130 ads, with limited technical data on BMW bikes, especially when compared to the BMW Motorcycle publication.

Looks like many mags are cutting back on issues, articles, technical data on newer models while increasing ads if they run any.

Print is expensive, I don't see how they can continue on without accepting ads.

I was kind of disappointed that the last issue I got had a nice, big photo of the new Indian on the cover - but not a word inside about the bike.

Based on the two issues I've received thus far, I'd have to say the subscription is not worth even the $5 I paid. I hope it improves, but I honestly don't see how they can even mail out 12 issues for that price, let alone produce the magazine.

I've been a RR subscriber since the days it was owned by Roger Hull. I've only seen the first post-Dave Searle issue, and it was disappointing. Apparently the second is the same. This does not portend well for the magazine's future.

Maybe I drank the Kool-Aid, but I believe that one of the most important aspects of RR's success was its independence. Running ads may generate money, but will IMO just kill the independence.

Print is expensive, I don't see how they can continue on without accepting ads.

I was kind of disappointed that the last issue I got had a nice, big photo of the new Indian on the cover - but not a word inside about the bike.

I'm no journalistic reviewer...so this is one opinion only...but....feel pretty secure in saying most of us have spent $5.00 less beneficially then this 12 month subscription, but the magazine certainly seems to have changed in the last few months. Maybe it's just a temporary growth thing or too many retirements coming too close together?

However, as I look through March's edition I'm beginning to question what constitutes an "ad" these days, and it isn't just this magazine. I realize they're titled Product Reviews, but if they aren't paid ads (and I'll go with that), they should be. Out of 32 total pages, 7 and 1/3 are "product reviews" with contact and pricing info. Of course, many other magazines have the same process, numerous "product reviews", which one might argue should be/could be paid ads.

They suggest one gets product reviews, unbiased model evaluations, how to features and more. There were no model evaluations in this edition, three product reviews (the largest being fairly general IMHO), nothing I really considered a How-To article (unless answering a few service letters qualifies) and little else I find new or informative, that hasn't been "hashed" over repeatedly in numerous other sources.

Been reading cycle magazines for 55+ years, perhaps I'm just bored with it all?

Back