• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corbin seat vs stock vs?

tyro

Well, another newbie question, about seats. My previous two bikes (R75/5 and R90/6) had stock BMW seats, and I never found them uncomfortable. They aren't much to look at, but I'm more concerned with quality of ride. What I like about the stock seats was my ability to adjust my position by scooting forward or backward. That let me adjust my head height and just get a little variety in position.

My current bike ('84 R80RT) came with a freshly redone Corbin seat. It looks fancy, but it doesn't fit my hind end very well (I'm not very wide back there, 170 lbs), and I can't make the little adjustments that I like. I'd consider swapping with someone if they had a stock seat, but if there's a better alternative, I'm open to advice.

I'd like as little down time as possible too. Should I hunt for a stock (or other) seat, get it on my bike, and then try to sell the Corbin? Will it be hard to get rid of? Also, how interchangeable are the seat pans for 1980's bikes? Would a R100RT seat work? Or a R80RS? I don't know where to look for that information. Thanks, as always. This forum has been great.

The very best seat I ever rode on was a Russell. It is a formed seat that kind of holds you in a position, but is by far the best, most comfy seat I ever rode on. I had one on my R100/80/7. The Best!... I put a stock seat back on that bike when I turned it into a sidecar tug. I like the stock seat on the rig for the same reason you like them. Easy to shift around for cornering/steering.

I have a Corbin on a 1988 R100RS. It is kinda flat in the seat. My take on the Corbin is that it is a good seat, but it hurts my lower back, and I need to get off of it after around 100 miles and shake out my legs and back. I am more like #225, so it isn't a straight true comparison. The Corbin as pretty flat under your hind end.

I have also ridden on a stock seat and an E-Z Burg on my /5. The /5 and /6 seats are longer and narrower at the front. The /7 seat is a little wider and firmer.

In my experience, if you can't have a Russell, the stock seat is best.I would suggest that you hunt down a Russell for your R80RT.

In my experience, if you can't have a Russell, the stock seat is best.I would suggest that you hunt down a Russell for your R80RT.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much. In my hunt, can anyone advise me what range of bikes would have seats that could be interchanged with a R80RT's seat, or where to look this up, if there is such a place?

To find out how parts interchange I first go to Max BMW parts fiche and get the parts number . Then go to RealOEM.com and see which models that particular number fits .
Using the 1984 R80RT as an example : Part # 52531237834 . According to realoem that part fits R60 , R75 , R80/7 , RT ( 04/1977-1/1/85 ) and R100 , /7 , T , CS , RS , RT, S ( 03/76-11/84 )
These should fit , although some have a cowl , and some do not ; The '84 RT has a cowl , so I would look at those models for a prospective donor seat .

Awesome advice

To find out how parts interchange I first go to Max BMW parts fiche and get the parts number . Then go to RealOEM.com and see which models that particular number fits .
Using the 1984 R80RT as an example : Part # 52531237834 . According to realoem that part fits R60 , R75 , R80/7 , RT ( 04/1977-1/1/85 ) and R100 , /7 , T , CS , RS , RT, S ( 03/76-11/84 )
These should fit , although some have a cowl , and some do not ; The '84 RT has a cowl , so I would look at those models for a prospective donor seat .

Thanks. That will work!

Tyro, If your seat is on a cowl, and you want to keep the cowl, you need to find that type of seat. Russell seats are custom made to fit the person that ordered it. You may find a used one and hate it.

Stock vs Corbin

I have three seats for my '78rs...stock, 3/4 solo and and a fancy Corbin with beautiful gold piping...I vote for the stock seat after putting miles on them all. Actually, I only put about 100 miles on the Corbin and put it away; it did not allow me much movement. I only put the solo seat on when I'm feeling frisky on short jaunts, plus it looks cool. On long trips, I find that the stock affords me the ability to move around more and relieve pressure and hot spots on my bottom. About 200 miles, it's time to get gas and take a rest anyway. I never had a Russel but have heard lots of good things about them; the one thing I didn't like that I heard was the price. So, because of price and movement, I like the stock seat.

dwb

Back