• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Connectivity - new from BMW Motorrad

mikegalbicka

Back in the saddle again
I noticed this link when reading today's Bench Racing and the Morning Reads (thanks Mika):

A strong connection: bike and smartphone.

With Connectivity, BMW Motorrad offers a remarkable option, initially for the R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure. It includes a 6.5 inch TFT-display, the multi-controller on the handlebar with intuitive handling as well as the BMW Motorrad Connected app – and a bunch of possibilities: easy everyday-navigation, use of multimedia content such as music, calling and being called as well as riding relevant information – all of that without distracting the rider’s focus.

The video offered explains it pretty well and it looks promising. Check it out when you have some time.

If the new TFT display does navigation, then doesn't the slot for the Garmin VI become superfluous?

If the new TFT display does navigation, then doesn't the slot for the Garmin VI become superfluous?

Hey! Don't question BMW's methodology! :)

I bet it requires a bluetooth connection to the Navigator and your phone is required to be paired with the Navigator to use the "smart" features.

From the pictures I saw it looks like very basic navigation like the early versions of OnStar in GM cars.
It shows a left or right arrow with commands to turn on a certain street in so many feet.
I did not see any pics showing a base map.

I bet it requires a bluetooth connection to the Navigator and your phone is required to be paired with the Navigator to use the "smart" features.

One video showed the navigation screen displayed on the dash without a Navigator in the mount.

In the early part of Mikes video it mentions all you need to integrate with the dash was a smart phone and a BMW helmet with the communicator installed in the helmet.

It's not clear if only a BMW communicator will work with this system.

Based on what they say in their press release -- and in the short video -- the answer to your question is, no. The navigation offered through the TFT display does not replace the Navigator GPS. For one thing, the navigation function on the display comes from the BMW Motorrad Connected app on your smartphone, so first off your phone must be connected, and (presumably), you must have a cell signal. They refer to the Navigator GPS as being for more extensive trips, and the navigation function through the TFT display as for more basic, everyday tasks.

In a similar vein, traffic and weather information (including weather radar) is available on the BMW Navigator through Garmin's SmartLink app on your smartphone, and this info is only available if you have cell coverage, and if your phone is paired with your Navigator.

Based on what they say in their press release -- and in the short video -- the answer to your question is, no. The navigation offered through the TFT display does not replace the Navigator GPS. For one thing, the navigation function on the display comes from the BMW Motorrad Connected app on your smartphone, so first off your phone must be connected, and (presumably), you must have a cell signal. They refer to the Navigator GPS as being for more extensive trips, and the navigation function through the TFT display as for more basic, everyday tasks.

In a similar vein, traffic and weather information (including weather radar) is available on the BMW Navigator through Garmin's SmartLink app on your smartphone, and this info is only available if you have cell coverage, and if your phone is paired with your Navigator.

That's how I understood it too.

Back