• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Congressional Right to Repair Act

Doomed

Alas, I suspect the bill is doomed.

As near as I can tell this bill was referenced to the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce the day after it was introduced back in February and stalled there. The probability of it passing the full House and Senate before the expiration of the current congressional session which ends December 31 seems very low.

I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm impartial to printed vs on line access, either is fine with me. The caveat to this being "reasonable" cost/time for on line access. I don't view repair manuals as a coffee table book, there to be perused with a glass of wine for light reading entertainment. When my bikes are running well, I could give a whit about what makes them tick, but when they don't I want access to the relevant data to fix them. I'm not a fast or super skilled mechanic, but having a half assed (AS) mechanical engineering degree and having worked for 37 years in heavy construction assembling large industrial equipment from recovery boilers to gas turbines to paper machines, I'm more than capable of my own repairs should I decide to do so.

I'm accepting of the requirement for a scan tool and a cheap o scope, in the 21st century they are as necessary as a torque wrench, and I'm willing to invest in both and the time to learn how to use them. I'm in hopes that this bill will receive bi-partisan support and pass if not this session then the next. I'll be writing to my representatives asking for their support. As a member of the MOA I'm somewhat dismayed that this issue could not receive a little more support.

BoxFlyer, thank you for your efforts in publishing your video's and the manufacture of tools to teach us to perform some of the more basic maintenance functions, I'm looking forward to some day meeting you in person.

it is time to send a email to your local congress critters in support of this bill. Or call, they have staffers to accept the call. It gets put into a data base to determine benifits of passing It should include "right to repair" and "service information" so the bored staffer does not need to think.

Rod

it is time to send a email to your local congress critters in support of this bill. Or call, they have staffers to accept the call. It gets put into a data base to determine benifits of passing It should include "right to repair" and "service information" so the bored staffer does not need to think.

Rod
And, Special Tools.

Thanks for posting the links. I contacted my rep, but he's not known for supporting anything that helps the little guy, so in my case I'm probably shouting at clouds. I guess it never hurts to try, though, right?

Thanks for posting the links. I contacted my rep, but he's not known for supporting anything that helps the little guy, so in my case I'm probably shouting at clouds. I guess it never hurts to try, though, right?

It's kinda cloudy around here as well.

Thanks for making the effort.

My congressman now will not be mine after the upcoming elections. Montana will have two representatives due to the 2020 census and the current seat will represent the eastern 60% of the state; we are in the western portion. I doubt the current guy is focused on anything but the election right now.

I did write to both of our senators this past year asking that they support right to repair legislation. One of them is a strong proponent for right to repair legislation. His focus is on agricultural machinery (he's a farmer) but it can't hurt to have someone leading the fight for right to repair. Both senators acknowledged receiving my letter and then immediately started sending information on what a great job they are doing.

Don't understand why this is a "new" idea. Perhaps it's the John Deere problem.

BMW has and continues to meet the requirement. They've recently changed from DVD to online access. They are about the last to do so. Still meets the requirement.

Don't understand why this is a "new" idea. Perhaps it's the John Deere problem.

BMW has and continues to meet the requirement. They've recently changed from DVD to online access. They are about the last to do so. Still meets the requirement.

If you are referring to the BMW Technical Information System (TIS) then I am afraid that you are misinformed. Contrary to what has been reported elsewhere in this forum the TIS does NOT provide information on motorcycles.

TIS Null.jpg

In any event the TIS is prohibitively priced for the vast majority of owners.

Most of the other major motorcycle manufacturers provide service manuals at reasonable cost.

Back