• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Columbia River Gorge - Waterfalls

B

BobMielke

What a beautiful day it was for a touristy ride along the Columbia River Gorge! A new found friend & I cruised the waterfalls along Interstate 84 on the scenic side road that gets travelers near the many falls. We had additional fun at the observatory overlooking the Gorge when a busload of Chinese tourists departed their vehicle and 4 of them headed straight for our bikes. The matriarch of the small group spoke acceptable English so I invited them to sit on my R1200RT for better photos. I popped the bike on its center stand, left the bike in 1st gear and had the side stand extended - just in case. I had to demonstrate how to easily mount the bike. Check out the look of pure joy as they took turns getting their pics taken while sitting on a BMW. A great day and 300 more miles on the Beemer.

Wahkeena_Falls_Bridge.jpg

Multnomah_Falls1.jpg

Latourell_Falls.jpg

Tourists2.jpg

It is one of the most beautiful areas I have riden in. Passed going to the Pacific and returning on my 2003 month long trip following the Lewis and Clark Trail.

Attachments

• Columbia River gorge.jpg
    Columbia River gorge.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 85
Bob,

You sure are doing great now that you made that move out west. Good for you ! I'm hoping to ride Oregon and Washington more extensively next summer and would love to know where that is. I looked on a map out of Portland and see I-84 running along the river, however it looks like Hwy 14 runs parallel to it on the other side of the river. I'm curious as to the choice of the interstate road along there rather than the state highway. Is it the kind of thing where you head out on one and ride back on the other ? Can you tell me where the good spots are along that route? Thanks for sharing those photos. You're truly blessed too live in such a pretty area.

Randy, Hwy 14 is a great two lane on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. I rode it from Portland to The Dalles a few weeks ago. You don't get as good a view of the Gorge as you do on I84 though. On I84 all the great waterfalls & Trails are from Exit 31-35. That's where these photos were taken. You can't miss the exit at 31 since it's in the center between East & West bound I84. Have fun and be sure to carry your camera. If I had lots of time I'll hit the Gorge at either sunrise or sunset.

Based on my limited experience I agree with Bob. I rode the Washington side out to the ocean and the Oregon side returning. It was a fun ride and had its points of beauty. If you have the time and can do it in both directions go both sides. If it is an either or choose the Oregon side. There are areas to go and play on twisties. However; most of the beauty sites and got-ta-have a picture of that places are on the south side of the river.

Bob, thanks for reminding me of a wonderful memory. I have been spending some time going through some of my old pictures. :thumb

Columbia River Historic Highway

RTRandy said:
Bob,

You sure are doing great now that you made that move out west. Good for you ! I'm hoping to ride Oregon and Washington more extensively next summer and would love to know where that is. I looked on a map out of Portland and see I-84 running along the river, however it looks like Hwy 14 runs parallel to it on the other side of the river. I'm curious as to the choice of the interstate road along there rather than the state highway. Is it the kind of thing where you head out on one and ride back on the other ? Can you tell me where the good spots are along that route? Thanks for sharing those photos. You're truly blessed too live in such a pretty area.

This is the "Old Road" that has been replaced by the freeway I-84. In a lot of parts the old road was canibalized by the freeway, in others remnants of the road were abandoned as relics high on riverside cliffs. The road was designed and build in the early 1900s by Sam Hill who was a big fan of reinforced concrete. There are several loops and spiral turns, but the road was carefully engineered to avoid decreasing radius turns or grades steeper than 5%. In many regards the road is substandard. The road is narrow, and the concrete gutters being restored as a historic preservation project could hook a tire. There are several waterfalls, and each time you pass one the temperature drops several degrees. The roadsides frequently have rock masonry walls, and some of these walls are quite beautiful. It is a great ride for leisurly sight seeing. Yesterday I had a wonderful ride on the Washington side. :wave

Start in Troutdale

Bob I think you missed part of this great road. The Scenic highway now starts at the Sandy river in Troutdale (it origionaly ran from Astoria to the Dalles) and follows the river for a couple of miles before heading up hill to Crown Point. In the late fall early spring you can't count all the waterfalls between I84 and the Stark street bridge about (3 miles).
Most people miss 70% of this great road by staying on I84.
Prior to Crown Point you can take the road up Larch Mountain for a view of 5 area mountains. There are so many great little roads that I found when I lived in Troutdale. I could leave home on a weekday and ride 45 miles on challenging roads come home and have seen fewer than 10 cars. My advice get a park service map, or a map specific to the Gorge, or just go get lost and find your way back home. Just make sure you leave with a full tank.

Randy, you'll be happy to know there are two sides to this river and lots of really cool bridges that cross it all the way. So don't just pick a side use both, it will only cost once and you will want to pay for the experience of crossing the "Bridge of the Gods". Yes, there are lots of waterfalls but the best and ones like pictured "Multnomah Falls" (Benson State Park) are on the south side - west of Bridge of the Gods.

There are (Earthen) tunnels on WA-14 after you are west of the Gorge. And WA-14 from Umatilla west to Maryhill is a must ride. If you have ever wondered where in the hell SAM HILL is? You will find it!!! :thumb

PS. Bob I'm really glad you are doing so well now, last year is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y already. :thumb

This is a great example of why the forum is so great. Who would have thunk to take the big slab in that area over Hwy 14, but it all makes sense. I hope to get out there next summer and stop to check out those waterfalls. And thanks to SFDOC, I can cross over on the bridges as well to do both.

Bob,

Thanks for the nice report, cool pics, and for being such a great ambassador.

TM

Back