• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutches, material, hubs, dampened or OE?

dieselyoda

I have to do the clutch on my R1100RT as I was rather silly one day this summer. Now, I have a slipping clutch but my mistake, getting sunk in the sand shouldn't have killed my clutch so fast. I slipped the clutch a bit for only a few minutes before I realized that I needed to push the bike out with dieselyoda armstrong.

Looking at clutches, I have some choices but I don't have experience with some of the other options.

I can have mine re-faced locally with organic for about $40.00 CDN or about $18.00 USD. They also offer a semi-metallic, ceramic and feramic options for basically a case of beer more. This all on my OE disc.

The other option they offered, take my hub and put it on a dampened disc. Choose my material or number of paws and have at 'er. Looking at RB Racing's site, mine would be the same except I know the guys doing my clutch and I know they are good guys. If I disregard some of the comments I've read here about RB Racing, I think there clutches have something to offer as an alternative to OE.

I'm thinking a dampened clutch will extend drivetrain life a bit. Used them forever on heavy equipment. The cover plate and pressure plate can be rebuilt a multiple of times and changing the diaphragm spring goes without saying.

What do you think?

I have to do the clutch on my R1100RT as I was rather silly one day this summer. Now, I have a slipping clutch but my mistake, getting sunk in the sand shouldn't have killed my clutch so fast. I slipped the clutch a bit for only a few minutes before I realized that I needed to push the bike out with dieselyoda armstrong.

Looking at clutches, I have some choices but I don't have experience with some of the other options.

I can have mine re-faced locally with organic for about $40.00 CDN or about $18.00 USD. They also offer a semi-metallic, ceramic and feramic options for basically a case of beer more. This all on my OE disc.

The other option they offered, take my hub and put it on a dampened disc. Choose my material or number of paws and have at 'er. Looking at RB Racing's site, mine would be the same except I know the guys doing my clutch and I know they are good guys. If I disregard some of the comments I've read here about RB Racing, I think there clutches have something to offer as an alternative to OE.

I'm thinking a dampened clutch will extend drivetrain life a bit. Used them forever on heavy equipment. The cover plate and pressure plate can be rebuilt a multiple of times and changing the diaphragm spring goes without saying.

What do you think?

Damped would be the best but IIRC there is no physical room to install one of that style. I would be most interested if you indeed can.
Please keep us posted.
There was a thread on ADV riders a few years ago that a guy from Quesnel B.C. fitted a VW clutch disc into his 1100GS.
Just found it - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/180mm-clutch-disk-bmw-vs-vw.551097/

When you do your changeout, use an 1150 diaphragm spring - they exert more pressure.

Back