• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clock setting

TomBarnhart

I have a 2008 R1200R. When I follow the directions for re-setting the clock, I cannot set the minutes. It keeps jumping back to the hour setting mode. Anyone else have this problem, or a possible solution. Bike is due back to the dealer in a month or so, should I think that I may need a new computer?

Bwahhaaaaa!

Harry Costello and I went though this with our R12R's on Saturday. We did it sans instructions.. but what we did worked.

To get into clock setting mode, press and hold the top button until the hours blink. Then use the same button to step through the hours until you get to one you like. Press and HOLD that button down until the minutes starts to blink. If minutes are OK (like you're just changing as we were for daylights savings time) - press and hold the button until the minutes stops blinking.

Failure to do the press and hold will result in it thinking you've cancelled and it will jump back to the pre-setting time.

Lets see if I can do it in steps:

1. Face the instrument cluster with an unclouded mind and in a calm state of repose.

2. Use left or right hand index finger to depress and HOLD the top button.

3. When the hours start blinking, press and release the top button until you reach the desired hour.*

4. When at desired hour - press and HOLD the top button until hours stop blinking and minutes starts blinking.

5. Change minutes with top button presses (if desired) if not skip to 6..

6. Press and hold the top button until the minutes stops blinking.

Time is now set.

Hows that? :) And yeah - the manual was confusing so we decided we didn't need no stinkin' manual. :deal

* = there is AM/PM on the hours setting. Guess that's important somehow, but usually I can tell the difference. Maybe it is a throwback to the 24 hour clock, which I'm sure they have in Yurop.

I once had to replace my entire cluster because the darn clock wouldn't reset. Thankfully it was in warranty. What a silly design flaw that a bum clock would require the replacement of the entire cluster. Anyway, if it happens again I have an alternative series of steps:

1. Buy Timex Ironman watch for ~$40.

2. Cut off band.

3. Thoroughly clean and dry space on R12R cluster.

4. Apply super glue to back of Timex Ironman watch.

5. Apply to cluster.

6. Let set for a minute.

**** FAST FORWARD FIVE YEARS ****

7. Whack dead watch off cluster with a hammer and flat-head screwdriver taking care not to chip or scratch the cluster.

8. Repeat steps 1-6 with a new Timex Ironman watch.

:D

I once had to replace my entire cluster because the darn clock wouldn't reset. Thankfully it was in warranty. What a silly design flaw that a bum clock would require the replacement of the entire cluster. Anyway, if it happens again I have an alternative series of steps:

1. Buy Timex Ironman watch for ~$40.

2. Cut off band.

3. Thoroughly clean and dry space on R12R cluster.

4. Apply super glue to back of Timex Ironman watch.

5. Apply to cluster.

6. Let set for a minute.

**** FAST FORWARD FIVE YEARS ****

7. Whack dead watch off cluster with a hammer and flat-head screwdriver taking care not to chip or scratch the cluster.

8. Repeat steps 1-6 with a new Timex Ironman watch.

:D

Or get a solar powered casio G-shock!

I followed Don's instructions and after a bit of fiddling and false starts I got it. Was about ready to try the $3 Wal Mart watch thing, but thanks to Don and this forum I saved a trip and $3 plus tax.

I scratch my head, get the manual out and stumble through every time I do this. It is not intuitive. You are not alone.

I scratch my head, get the manual out and stumble through every time I do this. It is not intuitive.
When I took delivery I watched my salesperson do it in 30sec. It appeared so easy I didn't pay attention. Now I wish I had... :banghead

I followed Don's instructions and after a bit of fiddling and false starts I got it. Was about ready to try the $3 Wal Mart watch thing, but thanks to Don and this forum I saved a trip and $3 plus tax.

Tom, glad it worked. That was from memory - day old memory so it wasn't too awful I guess.

BTW: The Ironman watch is actually about $20 or so.. Amazon has them on sale. :bikes

Back