• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

Here in the hills, farmers have finally found two products that are generating cash, grapes and Christmas trees. Most of the folks who grow trees here would NOT have been impacted by the fee because they do not sell over 500/year; but the big farmers in Ashe County would have. The reason small growers were exempted is that the cost of collecting would have exceeded the revenue.

My bride of 43 years and I rode through Ashe County this week as we remembered our Sunday drives in the 60s. Every hill and mountain in the county seem to be covered in Christmas trees in various stages of maturity. We passed several heavily loaded trucks and trailers loaded down with Christmas trees headed to big cities. A lot of them would have been hit by the tax. The $ .15 tax per tree is very small but I think it would have caused people to refuse to buy a tree as a protest against the tax.

All this incessant whining and complaining about right to work and demand for jobs is a dead end road to nowhere and national impotence.

methinks you don't understand the concept of right to work.

it's a law that prevents unions from forcing laborers to join and pay dues.

me also thinks you either need to go out and ride or see if you survive CSM.

ian

Back to ideas for christmas.

A gift certificate to a locally owned restaurant. A lot of them give discounts if you buy them early, and the recipients really like them!

methinks you don't understand the concept of right to work.

it's a law that prevents unions from forcing laborers to join and pay dues.

me also thinks you either need to go out and ride or see if you survive CSM.

ian
Right to work is great for the rich. It is how the 1% got control of 40% of the wealth. It's capitlaism at it's max.

People!

When you get off topic and wander into the land of politics you are violating forum rules. Please. Back on topic.

Which is "Birth of a New Tradition."

Voni
RED Moderator Hat ON

Last edited:
Back to ideas for christmas.

A gift certificate to a locally owned restaurant. A lot of them give discounts if you buy them early, and the recipients really like them!

Sounds like a great idea. My comment on BMW using motors made in China was not meant to be political. HD uses Showa forks and other foriegn made products to produce bikes, we really do ride machines that are a product of the Global Economy.

Isn't Christmas a religious holiday? Thus a forbidden topic anyway? Just wondering...........:scratch

I appreciate the OP's ideas, we have been doing a dinner out with our parents for a couple years now, not a gift card, but actually taking them out to dinner. This way we are able to spend time with them as well as treat them to a nice meal.

Isn't Christmas a religious holiday? Thus a forbidden topic anyway? Just wondering...........:scratch

That really doesn't help.

An excerpt from the Posting Guidelines

Banned Topics

Over the years (and many winters) weÔÇÖve pretty much been able to identify some things that inevitably start flame wars, breed ill will, and just in general make people act in ways theyÔÇÖd never have believed themselves capable (and yes, that is meant in the bad way.) Below are a few of these topics:

1. Religion
2. Abortion
3. Politics
4. Firearms

These are banned as topics of discussion on the forum. WeÔÇÖre not trying to prevent you from wishing someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah; weÔÇÖre trying to prevent the angry, useless flaming that inevitably arises when these topics are ÔÇ£discussedÔÇØ. DonÔÇÖt even think of making an off the cuff remark about someoneÔÇÖs politics or religion.

The mod team

That really doesn't help.

An excerpt from the Posting Guidelines

Banned Topics

Over the years (and many winters) weÔÇÖve pretty much been able to identify some things that inevitably start flame wars, breed ill will, and just in general make people act in ways theyÔÇÖd never have believed themselves capable (and yes, that is meant in the bad way.) Below are a few of these topics:

1. Religion
2. Abortion
3. Politics
4. Firearms

These are banned as topics of discussion on the forum. WeÔÇÖre not trying to prevent you from wishing someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah; weÔÇÖre trying to prevent the angry, useless flaming that inevitably arises when these topics are ÔÇ£discussedÔÇØ. DonÔÇÖt even think of making an off the cuff remark about someoneÔÇÖs politics or religion.

The mod team

Yeah, it was tongue and cheek, should have put a smiley face instead of a head scratch. I have been around long enough to know I shouldn't joke around here, Sometimes I forget which site I'm on and it slips out.

A shame so many take themselves so seriously that we as a club have to even worry about these types of rules, but it is proven time and again (even within this thread) that folks will type things they probably wouldn't say face to face to a fellow club member when sober, over a cup of coffee.

Didn't mean to make the "Mod" job harder, Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Getting out for a ride tomorrow, hope the rest of you get the opportunity to do the same.

"A shame so many take themselves so seriously that we as a club have to even worry about these types of rules.............."

If we all would remember from time to time when we look in the mirror that we really aren't as interesting as we think we are:nyah

Black Friday the Alpine, TX way:

Status update
By Alpine, Texas Message Board
FRIDAY after ten a.m.!! I will have at least three boxes of assorted stuff to give away at the end of my driveway, if you don't know where I live private message for directions (Amy Ellis.. or leave a message here and I'll pm you!). Everything from purses to kids clothes, books, adult books, all kinds of stuff! I live towards Sunny Glenn before the Mormon Church, a pretty drive for your Friday pleasure. You're welcome to join the give away with your own items if you promsie to take them away if they don't find a home. Celebrate the day of no shopping by picking up some free items!!

Back