• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chicago - Construction?

drubery

Western NY Rider
I just spoke with a colleague who passed through Chicago twice last week and they though the construction was pretty bad. My current plans are to go North and go through the U.P. I know the ferry is also an option if you have tie downs. Any advice for passing by Chicago ? I have a feeling there is no easy solution. (BTW, I love Chicago! My time is just limited.)

Thanks,

Dennis

You could go I-75 from Toledo north to Big Mac, then turn left and go on US-2 all across da UP, then drop down on the west side of Wisconsin on whatever road you wish. Or go south through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois on US 30 until you get to I-39, head north toward Madison and pick up I-94.

Any advice for passing by Chicago?

DON'T!

If you could afford ferry (either one), do it! Otherwise, go around the Lake on the east side (MI).
At the very least, if you must go through Chicago, use 294 vs. 94; do not ride thru downtown.

DON'T!

If you could afford ferry (either one), do it! Otherwise, go around the Lake on the east side (MI).
At the very least, if you must go through Chicago, use 294 vs. 94; do not ride thru downtown.

miro. makes sense.

You other guys, do you have some inside information for that sounds exactly like what I do not want to do.

We just rode from Niagara Falls through Chicago on a Friday night around 7pm or slightly later an hit absolutely nothing. No traffic, construction or anything. Very weird.

Our route was I80 to I90 Indiana Toll road, to I94 going to Wisconsin. There is construction in Wisconsin on I94 but it didn't slow us down that time of night - around 8:30 to 9pm.

I normally avoid Chicago like the plague but I was just trying to get home fast.

I just spoke with a colleague who passed through Chicago twice last week and they though the construction was pretty bad. My current plans are to go North and go through the U.P. I know the ferry is also an option if you have tie downs. Any advice for passing by Chicago ? I have a feeling there is no easy solution. (BTW, I love Chicago! My time is just limited.)

Thanks,

Dennis

If you are coming from the east from 90/94 I would suggest that you swing off and take I-88 or I-55 west until you get to route 39. From there you can head north towards Rockford and then reconnect with 90/94 into Wisconsin. Or you could hope onto route 20 to head west towards galena and then follow the mississippi great river road north.

Back