• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

charging battery via Hellla socket on 2015 R1200R

newman98107

Hi, can the battery on a BMW 2015 R1200R be safely charged by connecting a battery tender to the bike's 12v powersocket output jack (DIN Hella socket)?

Yes and no....a regular battery tender can not charge the battery because of the CanBus system. Your options are either the Optimate 4 Dual Program or the BMW charger. Your other option is to put a SAE connector directly on the battery and plug your battery tender to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pigtail

Yes and no....a regular battery tender can not charge the battery because of the CanBus system. Your options are either the Optimate 4 Dual Program or the BMW charger. Your other option is to put a SAE connector directly on the battery and plug your battery tender to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.

Another alternative

BMW Automobiles actually came out with a new charger (only from auto dealers) that will speak CANBUS and charge either your car or your motorcycle. It's not cheap, but it's a fine charger.

Ski

Back