• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canadian Roads on top of Lake Huron

GeorgeR1200RT

Since the rally in Hamburg, NY is an easy days drive from my home in central Ohio, I plan to ride to Sault St. Marie through Michigan and across the top of Lake Huron as a nice trip to the rally.

One of the reasons I have attended 17 BMWMOA rallies since 1981 is the road trip to get to the rally.

Lake Huron is the only great lake I have not completely circled. I am not in a hurry and have enjoyed my trips in Canada.

Curious to know if Canadian Route 17B is a more interesting road than 17 Trans-Canada Highway? 17B is closer to the lake in many areas.

Are there any campgrounds or motels along 17B? Is it still paved?

When I get to the Sudbury area, I will turn south and head for the Peace Bridge at Fort Erie/Buffalo to get to the rally.

Its been awhile since I lived in Ontario but the roads east of Lake Huron/Georgian Bay are the ones which are more interesting. Have a great trip!

I have traveled the roads on the east side of Lake Huron, from Port Huron, Michigan to the French River. Enjoyable road trips.

Several times I conducted annual inspection of a Boy Scout canoe base near the mouth of the French River. Parked the bike at a marina and took a boat to the base.

Since the rally in Hamburg, NY is an easy days drive from my home in central Ohio, I plan to ride to Sault St. Marie through Michigan and across the top of Lake Huron as a nice trip to the rally.

One of the reasons I have attended 17 BMWMOA rallies since 1981 is the road trip to get to the rally.

Lake Huron is the only great lake I have not completely circled. I am not in a hurry and have enjoyed my trips in Canada.

Curious to know if Canadian Route 17B is a more interesting road than 17 Trans-Canada Highway? 17B is closer to the lake in many areas.

Are there any campgrounds or motels along 17B? Is it still paved?

When I get to the Sudbury area, I will turn south and head for the Peace Bridge at Fort Erie/Buffalo to get to the rally.

We've taken 17 from Sault St. Marie to Sudbury several times, but I don't remember 17B.
In July we took 17 from Sault St. Marie to North Bay and then south through Algonquin Park. We liked the route through Algonquin, but that's probably too far east for you.
If 17B is 17 business don't take it through Sudbury. On earlier trips, before 9-11 we would ride through Sudbury and it was a pain. This year we stayed on 17 and it bypassed Sudbury.

On our way home we hugged the south shore of the Georgian Bay and east shore of Huron and enjoyed that route.

Don't forget to take time and check out the Soo Locks before you cross into Canada.

P1020480.JPG

P1020484.JPG

Here's a pic along the Georgian Bay.
P1020764.JPG

Lake Huron Roads

Hi,
I would avoid the Trans Canada wherever possible. There's too much truck traffic and 'tourist' traffic. Try to hug the coasts where possible. 99% paved roads in varying condition but lots of curvy, hilly, fun stuff. It can take a bit of time though because there are lots of little hamlets along the way. It will also be slow as you get near Southern Georgia Bay due to the towns sprawling along the coastline. Highway 21 runs along the east coast of Lake Huron down to where Lake Huron ends at Sarnia. You can then choose to slab it to Buffalo via 402, 401, 403 and the QEW or hug the north coast of Lake Erie to the border crossing at Niagara Falls or Buffalo/Fort Erie. All the 4XX series highways can be scary on a bike - typically run 75 - 80mph with not a lot of enforcement of the 100kph (60mph) limit with lots of truck traffic.
There are lots of funky places to stay and eat along the way - avoid the chains and ask the locals.
Great deals this year as the US$ buys about $1.40 Canadian. Sucks for us but great for those coming in from the US.
I can offer a few don't miss spots along the route if you want to PM me.
Check this site for more info about the area - http://explorersedge.ca/ride-edge-m...m_content=RideTheEdge&utm_campaign=Spring2014

Safe travels

On my Google Map Route 17B starts just east of Sault St. Marie and ends just south of Echo Bay where it joins 17. Apparently it is only about 26km. So it turns out to be less of a possible route that I originally perceived. I should have checked this out better before starting this thread.:banghead

I am still open to any things of interest on Route 17 or other roads that go from Saute St. Marie to the Sudbury area.

Motels, campgrounds, interesting food or sights

I've done that route in the past...beautiful IMO . But for sure visit the Soo-Locks . And definitely stop at the Palace Saloon while in the Soo, for some of the best Mexican food on the planet !

I live in S/Ohio and have traveled to & through Michigan, across the U.P. many times, and on to Canada a few times. Again, sorry no words of wisdom to offer...your post stirred memories !

If you stop in Mackinaw City on the way up ?, check out the Riviera motel. It is a bit pricey, but has the best view of Big Mac !....head down Portage Ave to Bells Fishery , get yourself a smoked white fish....yum,yum....even yum,yum'r with a cold beer :thumb

Ooops! starting to sound like a cruise director now.....

Have a great trip..

Mackinac Island

George if you have not done Mackinac Island you should consider setting aside the time.

I have always thought the Northern Michigan tourist trifecta is the Mackinac Bride, Mackinac Island and the Soo Locks.

You can win a beer on this - What was the second National Park in the United States after Yellowstone? Mackinac Island.

The island will take up a day but worth the stop if you have not done it.

Only fifty miles to SS Marie to overnight. Stay downtown within walking distance of the locks and the Palace Saloon.

The inside lanes of the center of the Mackinac Bridge is a perforated metal grating that keeps the bridge surface from acting like a sail because the wind blows thru it (hope that makes sense). Expect to have them painting the railings in the outside lanes in the summer and forcing traffic to the grating. Depending on your bike and tires it may make your bike weave a little. The railings on the bridge appear to be about waist high. Not a real big deal.

If the wind is really blowing and your on the grating weaving a little just smile and think that it is the big Michigan payback for the Ohio Highway Patrol picking on those Michigan drivers on their way to Florida in the winter.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

I agree about the 400 series highways being hairy scarey at times.

However nothing scared me more than flying across that Makinak bridge around 9 pm on the way to the National last year. There was a little sign about wind warning etc but we barreled through and I found myself holding the bike up for dear life. I found out later there is a service that will actually trailer you bike across if the wind is up. Just something to pass on...

Great responses...keep 'em coming.

I lived in Michigan for nearly 40 years. For many summers I was a Sea Scout leader and we sailed from Saginaw Bay to Mackinaw Island on a Columbia Defender fixed keep sloop. On those trips we slept on the boat in the harbor. I also stayed in the Grand Hotel while at a business conference...a very different perspective than living in the harbor. Great memories.

Have also been to the locks at Sault Ste. Marie several times.

Have gone across the top of Lake Superior to Minnesota a couple times. Very enjoyable.

Wind on the Mackinaw Bridge? You bet. Back in the 1980's I had my 9 year old daughter on the back of my /5 for a weekend trip. We were crossing the bridge and could see dark clouds on the Lake Michigan side. A wind gust hit us as we passed a tower and moved us over a full lane...lucky there was little traffic. All she did was hold on tight. Many years later she told me spots on the back of my brown leather jacket were her tears from being scared. That was one of many trips that went on until she had three kids of own. Also did trips with her older sister.

I'm still hoping for additional information about the top of Lake Huron. If not received I will still enjoy the trip.

George if you have not done Mackinac Island you should consider setting aside the time.

I have always thought the Northern Michigan tourist trifecta is the Mackinac Bride, Mackinac Island and the Soo Locks.

You can win a beer on this - What was the second National Park in the United States after Yellowstone? Mackinac Island.

The island will take up a day but worth the stop if you have not done it.

Only fifty miles to SS Marie to overnight. Stay downtown within walking distance of the locks and the Palace Saloon.

The inside lanes of the center of the Mackinac Bridge is a perforated metal grating that keeps the bridge surface from acting like a sail because the wind blows thru it (hope that makes sense). Expect to have them painting the railings in the outside lanes in the summer and forcing traffic to the grating. Depending on your bike and tires it may make your bike weave a little. The railings on the bridge appear to be about waist high. Not a real big deal.

If the wind is really blowing and your on the grating weaving a little just smile and think that it is the big Michigan payback for the Ohio Highway Patrol picking on those Michigan drivers on their way to Florida in the winter.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

On many [most] of my Michigan trips I stay[ed] in Grayling. Usually at the Aquarama , next to the Copper Kettle restaurant , Sometimes at the Cedar .

Small world ! !

I certainly agree with the rest of your post.

Good Motel

In Blind River, about 1 hour West of Sudbury, there is a nice motel, the Lakeview Inn. Stayed there in 2014 on my way home. Has a really good restaurant attached that I liked a lot. Also, easy walking distance to The Beer Store. LCBO for liquor must be around there too.

Sudbury is not the greatest place to visit, IMHO. Not very many nice motels. Does have a great Science Centre North.

I filled the RT in Sault St. Marie followed 17 to just past Sudbury to Hwy 69 South towards Toronto. Just at the Parry Sound exit, the low gas light came on and I stopped there for gas. About 3 hours south, you will be in Toronto. 69 flows into Hwy 400 at some point, seamless transition. The highway work should have completed by now, so 2 lanes in each direction should be available.

The 400 is not busy until Barrie. After that, you are in busy urban style freeway territory, all the way to Fort Erie at which place you cross over to Buffalo.

I've never been scared on 400 series highways, but then I grew up here... . Do be careful, leave space in front and behind.

Places to eat east side of Lake Huron

Don't keep it private, a lot of us on the site would like to see your information.

Southampton - lost the name but it's beside Robertos Pizza - funky little place
Port Elgin - Wismer House or Saffron
Kincardine - Saturday night pipe band concert ( not food but good fun)
Bayfield - Black Dog Pub
Grand Bend - Purdy's fish & chips on the river
Port Dover - on Lake Erie but best lake perch ever - Erie Beach Hotel - get a platter - its not cheap but it is outstanding. If you happen to be there on a Friday and it's the 13th, it's an experience. Google it!
Enjoy

However nothing scared me more than flying across that Makinak bridge around 9 pm on the way to the National last year. There was a little sign about wind warning etc but we barreled through and I found myself holding the bike up for dear life. I found out later there is a service that will actually trailer you bike across if the wind is up. Just something to pass on...

The trailer service is not available to BMW riders. I understand the target audience is to another brand of riders, some of which are particularly familiar with trailers.

I don't like riding or driving across that bridge. The last time we crossed on the bikes Debbie took the lead and told me to only look at her rear. That worked :)
If you're on the bike on one of the grated lanes, don't look down.
Here's what the underside looks like.

P1000275.JPG

IMG_0020.jpg

Great bridge for snow time. No plowing all falls right thru. Better traction with ice too.

Does a good job of waking one up if a bit dozzy.

Crossed one time with a small group of guys. Wind warning was up, wind was up....way up.

Coming south to Mackinaw City.....when we arrived one of the guys got off and kissed the ground ...LOL!! :dunno

My Bride and I have crossed the Mackinaw bridge many times.....even in heavey rain. While the weather may be an issue on this bridge for some people, I enjoy it. The bridge is a great ride.

IMG_0487 b.jpg

Back