• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can you reassure me on the 2 pc Roadcrafter?

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Last month I took delivery on my Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece riding suit, seems to be breaking in nicely. Rode once so far in a very minor rain, no problem. Rode over to a buddy's house, the first thing he said. You know that's not water proof...What? Ya you have to wear a rainsuit over it. Now, yes he has one, yes he rides far and wide. But do I really have to cover my black with hi viz armor riding suit with rain gear? Stopped under a bridge? That's not what Aerostitch says. Any help?

Last edited:
Jon,

What kind of bike do you have? I've had my AeroStitch over 4 years now and no longer carry a rain suit, but I've been riding an old R100RT. On that thing, once I get over 50 mph I could be in my underwear and not get wet!

My F800ST has a lot less coverage than the RT, but I still stay dry on that, too (except my hands).

Mark

Zippers leak. In a downpour, they REALLY leak. Light shower and you'll be okay to ride through, but if you are on a long trip, pack an oversized 2 piece rain suit.

When I got my new 2-piece it leaked at the crotch and up the arms in extended heavy rain. Months later, heading back from Daytona in a non-stop torrential downpour one riding partner taught me to tuck my glove gauntlets into the sleeves to keep water out of the arms, and another rider a little maneuver involving giving the top of the 2-piece's pants a tug up after getting on the bike to keep water out of the crotch. Both tricks worked perfectly and with the exception of occasionally forgetting to close the underarm vents, that 2-piece stich kept me dry as a bone in even the thickest gullywashers. Well, until it sacrificed itself on the altar of twisted metal and asphalt to ensure that I would live to ride another day. But that is another story :p

The only place I've experienced a leak in either of the two Roadcrafter two-piece suits I've owned is in the crotch. Of course. Some people (including Aerostich) say that it's the zipper that's leaking, so they recommend applying sealant on the zipper stitching. I don't get any leaks anywhere else, but I do get an occasional trickle down my back. It's just water.

Jon,

What kind of bike do you have? I've had my AeroStitch over 4 years now and no longer carry a rain suit, but I've been riding an old R100RT. On that thing, once I get over 50 mph I could be in my underwear and not get wet!

My F800ST has a lot less coverage than the RT, but I still stay dry on that, too (except my hands).

Mark

Mark 2000 R1100-RT
Thanks for your input, just hard to cope with covering all that high vis yellow with another suit.

I've only had it leak once and that was during a very bad rainstorm when I probably shouldn't have been riding anyway. I never carry a rainsuit (that's why I spent all that money of the 'stich) and I've never felt that I've needed one. Unless you live in seattle you should not experience a leak under about 90% of the precipitation you'll encounter.

I also second the "standing up and adjusting the crotch" trick. Water will pool there and eventually leak in through the zipper. if you stand up slightly on the pegs everyonce and a while water will run off and it probably wont leak.

2-piece is....mostly dry

I've had a 2-piece Roadcrafter for 12+ years. In light to moderate rain, the jacket gets damp, but I stay fairly dry. Seams/zippers do let in some moisture, and the neck area doesn't block much, even with the collar closed. It doesn't breathes well, so if you're riding in humid, hot, rainy weather...well, things will be soggy.

In a torrential downpour...well, nothing seems to be 100% effective. Over the Stitch, I've worn an HD 1-piece rainsuit, some generic thing from Whitney, and low-end ski gear - none worked great.

Last year I bought Carhart workman's raingear - overall-style pants and a 3/4-length jacket. Can be worn over the Stitch or just over jeans/jacket. Combination works very well - the bib pants come up quite high for added 'overlap.' Jacket is Safety Yellow so I'm VERY visible.

The wash-in Nikwax is a great product. I use it on my Stitch, day-to-day raingear and ski gear. Makes a big difference.

Now...if anyone can point the way to truly waterproof gloves........

It's very interesting that the waterproofing ability of a stich varies so much among owners. Guess the're like beer. Gotta try um.
robert

That's been my very complaint with Aerostich. I wore a Darien suit during most of the 8 years I lived in Seattle. It *is* waterproof. But it's also heavy, stiff and doesn't vent well. And for the style conscious, it always looked like it was trying to swallow my head. Aerostich recently "celebrated" the 10 year anniversary of the Darien, and they have hardly changed it in that time.

I have since had a BMW Savannah II, which was also entirely waterproof, much lighter, and vented very well. It was fussy to install the interior liner, and the jacket absorbed water and didn't have any waterproof pockets on it.

I recently purchased a Tourmaster Flex II jacket. It was $180. The basic design is a mesh jacket with a waterproof outer shell that zips on and off. It is really waterproof. With the shell in place, the jacket is comfortable from the mid 50s to the mid 80s. With the shell off, I find it comfortable from about 70F to the mid 90s or so. It comes with a quilted liner, but I don't use that; if it's cold enough to want it, I use a Gerbing jacket liner.

I just rode to the National in Wyoming, including three days going back and forth across Nevada and Utah where it averaged 95F, and the mesh combined with a hydration bladder in my tank bag made it really quite reasonable.

h_fj2_silver.jpg

d_fj2_4.jpg

I have this jacket, as well as the pants that match it. I have ridden in a torrential downpour a few times now and always arrive home, or at work, DRY.

I would recommend it to all of you, personally.

The wash-in Nikwax is a great product. I use it on my Stitch, day-to-day raingear and ski gear. Makes a big difference.

Now...if anyone can point the way to truly waterproof gloves........
Glad to..

http://www.roadgear.com/index.php?page=Product&id=60

Really waterproof and comfortable, and your hands don't turn purple. The gauntlet cuffs fit quite nicely over the roadcrafter sleeve.

319SG107.jpg

FWIW - I'm on my 2nd Roadcrafter. Only had one heavy extended rain test in this one, and I got damp down the front of my T-shirt 'cause I didn't have the collar closed (duh on me..) My crotch, back, legs, arms were completely dry. As were my feet (Prexport boots.. unobtainium in US now, mores the shame..)

It's very interesting that the waterproofing ability of a stich varies so much among owners. Guess the're like beer. Gotta try um.
robert
Some has to do with care of the 'stich (Nikwax treatment, ScotchGard, etc) and some has to do with the bike protection and riding style. Riding a naked bike at 90MPH in a gullywasher is gonna be lots harder on the gear than 30MPH on an LT.. There are more variables than just the garmet.

Back