• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam Chain Noise on new '23 RS

rogerramrod

Am I the only one with Cam Chain Rattle when accelerating on my new '23 R1250RS ?
I live in SW Utah and the nearest dealers are in Las Vegas ( 175 miles away ) and
Sandy, Utah ( 275 miles away ). I have a GS 911 and use it for Service Reminder
Resets and such for my '20 GS. I'm not much into taking my bikes anywhere for
service when most of it is pretty easy and the dealerships are so far away. I suppose
I ought to call the service department at the place I bought the bike and at least see
what they say, but my other thought is wait for a recall or ignore it until it needs
services I don't care to perform like brake fluid flushes. The 3yr/36k warranty
covers everything. I'm just a little tired of hearing the rattle. Thoughts ?

Am I the only one with Cam Chain Rattle when accelerating on my new '23 R1250RS ?
I live in SW Utah and the nearest dealers are in Las Vegas ( 175 miles away ) and
Sandy, Utah ( 275 miles away ). I have a GS 911 and use it for Service Reminder
Resets and such for my '20 GS. I'm not much into taking my bikes anywhere for
service when most of it is pretty easy and the dealerships are so far away. I suppose
I ought to call the service department at the place I bought the bike and at least see
what they say, but my other thought is wait for a recall or ignore it until it needs
services I don't care to perform like brake fluid flushes. The 3yr/36k warranty
covers everything. I'm just a little tired of hearing the rattle. Thoughts ?

I have a 2019 R1250 RT. Bought new in early 2020. My bike has had a rattle type noise start around 6000 miles. Now at 30,000 and its still there. Had it at 2 different "reputable" dealers and they say everything is fine. Opened a case with BMW just to have it on record.

Not sure what it is. MANY have the same noise. Check out ADV Rider and several Euro forums. And yes....I can hear it with earplugs. All told its a characteristic of the engine...Some do it, some don't. With my bike its when under load (2-up and/or incline) under 4200 rpm +/-, depending on the load. I don't hear it much. Im very rarely under 4400-4800+ rpm in my area (hills/mountains). My other 3 boxers liked to rev too....But not like the 1250 engine. She just likes to be in that sweet spot.

Bike runs great, starts strong, idles very quiet (for a LC boxer). Am I happy about the rattle??? NO, but the bike is just so good. FYI, I've run top tier premium fuel from new. Tried different brands of fuel, cooler plugs, octane booster and I have the updated LH cam chain tensioner (your bike probably has it already). Nothing has solved it.

Many think its pinging/detonation. I no longer think it is. To me it sounds mechanical. Owners in UK being told its throttle body noise. Apparently this is what BMW has told the dealers. At certain rpm's/loads/ airbox pressures it causes the butterflies to rattle. I know mine DID NOT do it brand new. Good news is it hasn't gotten worse and absolutely no effect on how the bike runs.

I would consider having the dealer check it out just to get it on record. Otherwise go ride the hell out of it and enjoy.

Back