• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cable lube recommendation?

K

keelerb

I've got a new clutch cable I figure I should lube before installing (84 R100T). Anybody got a recommendation as to the lube to use?

Thanks - BrianK

In a word - don't. Back in the day one did need to lube the cables, but now the cables come with a teflon liner. Adding a chemical lube will cause problems with the liner and you'll have to replace the cable again.

Thanks. Just found the same in my Haynes manual (not a word in Clymer!). Appreciate the response. - Brian

Disagree, cable and wire rope fail from internal friction of the strands, has nothing to do with movement in the casing.

Disagree, cable and wire rope fail from internal friction of the strands, has nothing to do with movement in the casing.

But when the lining of the sheath reacts to a petroleum based lubricant and swells, thus binding the cable, that places additional and excess stress and internal friction in the strands.

And this, for me, is not a theoretical discussion. It arises from years ago personal experience ruining a couple of lined cables on BMW's, after religiously lubing them with cable lube left over from the unlined cables on a couple of earlier Japanese bikes.

And lest I would think this was just a fluke - BMW tech school materials specifically say don't lube the lined cables. The exception is greasing the speedometer cable.

But that applies to my bikes. On yours, be my guest. Do whatever you are sure is right.

Lesson taken to heart. Whenever I get the urge to lube the boxer's cables, I'll do it to the Commando's instead - they never seem to get enough anyway.

Thanks as always folks - BrianK

I like dri-slide for pivot points and the like, like cable ferrules and the like.

On the Norton, I had developed a clutch cable "feel" that made me think maybe the cable was going (after all of 2K miles). Put a bit of dri slide on the ferrule, fixed the problem.

FWIW.

Back