• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 clutch cable replacement

ksdcr

Not sure how old my current clutch cable is, so I am going to replace it in my 1983 R100.

My new BMW cable, has a hexagon shaped brass part, that is on the perch end. The old cable, has a round brass piece, at the perch end.

So, will this hexagon shaped end, be compatible on my cable perch? Or, do I have the incorrect clutch cable?

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpeg
    IMG_2065.jpeg
    908.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    793.6 KB · Views: 15
Right part number...can you confirm your situation with who you bought it from?

Unfortunately, I cannot say where the cable came from, as it was with the parts stash that came with this bike. It’s at least three or 4 years old, as that is how long I have had this BMW.

Do some BMW parts houses sell ”different versions” of the same part?

Measure the gap in the clutch lever to see if it fits? Hold it up to the current one?

5 minutes with a micrometer ought to tell you. Good luck!

Measure the gap in the clutch lever to see if it fits? Hold it up to the current one?

5 minutes with a micrometer ought to tell you. Good luck!
You mean the gap between the hexagon shaped part, and the round part?

You mean the gap between the hexagon shaped part, and the round part?
I'm thinking more like the diameter of the hex part to make sure it fits in the little gap for the cable on the clutch lever. I think that's the only place it might matter. Probably want to make sure the new one is the same length by laying it out alongside the old one, too.

I hope that's helpful and I'm making sense for a change. :LOL:

Dave,
Yes,I understand what you were getting at now.

assuming That the measurements are good, will the hexagon shape slide smoothly, as the round piece does?

I could be mistaken but I believe there is a part number printed on the cable. A quick look at Max BMW's parts microfiche will give you the number of the cable you need, as well as a search for the number you have and its application. Good luck, St.

Some replacement cables had a hex crimped end instead of the round. The hex will bind up and not allow the end to rotate in the lever as it needs to and lead to a broken cable. You can take a small file and round the hex out so it will work as needed. I ran into the same issue with a replacement cable and I found the answer on Duane Ausherman's website.

Some replacement cables had a hex crimped end instead of the round. The hex will bind up and not allow the end to rotate in the lever as it needs to and lead to a broken cable. You can take a small file and round the hex out so it will work as needed. I ran into the same issue with a replacement cable and I found the answer on Duane Ausherman's website.
Ahhh, that is what I was wondering, if the hex shape, will impede the operation. I will do the filing, to make it as round as possible.

The cable that I have is marked as a BMW part #, 32 73 2324 958, which corresponds to MAX BMW Parts as the correct cable, for a low bar. I assume mine is the low bar, as it only has about a half inch rise.

Dave,
Yes,I understand what you were getting at now.

assuming That the measurements are good, will the hexagon shape slide smoothly, as the round piece does?
Exactly. The hex shape may have been added to prevent the cable from rotating as it goes through the clutch lever or something. If the outside diameter is the same as the round bit and the length is similar, I think you're good to go, as long as the "head" fits properly

Did the clutch cable replacement this weekend.

Question regarding the “wave washer”. Does the wave washer go under the pivot nut?
or, inside the lever?

when I disassembled my lever, the wave washer was under the nut.

#14 in this picture?

Looks between the nut and the housing. Makes sense...when you tighten the nut, the washer protects the housing from scratching it as it turns.
Thanks. That is the location that it was in the dis-assembly.

I just thought that having it located under the Teflon bushing, would keep it from making the lever bushing wear, based on the Tom Cutter/Rubber Chicken instructions….

Take the lever off, clean and inspect the teflon bushing for close fit to the pivot pin, and for the presence of the anti-vibration wave washer. The washer is important to reduce lateral play in the assembly that causes wear. ”

It's hard to bet against Tom!! I wish I could remember when I replaced the bushing in my /7 lever years ago. But I just looked at the nut in question...I think it's the same one. And I don't see a washer under the nut. Unless it's a very thin one. I just don't get what Tom's talking about...seems strange that the washer would go on the inside.

It's hard to bet against Tom!! I wish I could remember when I replaced the bushing in my /7 lever years ago. But I just looked at the nut in question...I think it's the same one. And I don't see a washer under the nut. Unless it's a very thin one. I just don't get what Tom's talking about...seems strange that the washer would go on the inside.
I have seen it both ways on various bikes - not necessarily all the same model though. I think when inserted between the lever and the housing it does more to stop a rattle than anything else.

PGlaves,
You gave me an idea. I will place one under the Teflon bushing, and another under the nut.

Back