• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bridgestone BT 020

ChicotDave

This is a pic of the rear tire of my BT 020 after about 3500 miles. Has anybody had this problem?

The tire is missing a major part of the tread on the left side about one inch exposing the steel belting.

Is this a defect or can anybody else give another reason?

It is on a 2000 R1100R.

Attachments

• Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 190
Bridgestone tires

I've been running the BT 020 on my R1100R for a couple of years now and have never seen this, although I'm not really happy with the mileage I've been getting, around 8K before having to replace. No idea what that is

Holy Freakin' Crap!!! I've never seen a tire like that. It almost looks as though you had something caught in your rear fender that was eating the tire away. The way the casing is made onto the carcass, I can't imagine any tire failure mode that would create a groove like that. There had to have been something rubbing the tire.

Dude, it looks like you need to pay attention to your rear wheel. Seriously tho, it looks like you have something loose on your bike that is rubbing the rear tire.

Maybe a stick?

Nothing is loose on bike or rubbing. Since the consensus is rubbing, my belief is a small branch got wedged for a short time someplace between muffler, frame, bags etc. I live in the country with a 130 yard gravel driveway with 100 trees. I find it easier to drive in the grass rather than the gravel. I ran over a branch today before my six mile trip to the post office.

Live and learn. Hopefully someone else may learn from this. Glad it was only a short ride and discovered it quickly.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm astonished that you (apparently) did not feel or hear anything if something had been stuck against your wheel.

I'm glad you caught this in time, in any case!

Back